Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

266 posts, read 831,748 times

Advertisements

had a cow, because of the crime in the area.

Oak Cliff was recommend to me as a place to move to in the Dallas area, because it's supposed to be an arts area and affordable for someone with my income. I was informed that the arts district is about 2 1/2 blocks of mostly closed out store fronts.

Anyone have feedback for this?

I live in another state and, even though he has asked me to move to the Dallas area closer to family, it's entirely possible my brother would undermine any move I try to make. (I know, "family.") So, other people's input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Stay away from Oak Cliff, my 2 cents.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
It depends on where in Oak Cliff. North Oak Cliff is quite nice. Kessler Park is VERY nice! South Oak Cliff, not so much.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 PM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
had a cow, because of the crime in the area.

Oak Cliff was recommend to me as a place to move to in the Dallas area, because it's supposed to be an arts area and affordable for someone with my income. I was informed that the arts district is about 2 1/2 blocks of mostly closed out store fronts.

Anyone have feedback for this?

I live in another state and, even though he has asked me to move to the Dallas area closer to family, it's entirely possible my brother would undermine any move I try to make. (I know, "family.") So, other people's input is appreciated.
has he even been to Oak Cliff? North Oak Cliff is very nice! I wouldn't hesitate moving there myself some day. the southern section of Oak Cliff is mainly where the crime is, but it seems most people want to associate the crime with the whole southern section of Dallas south of I 30, which is quite large.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Ugh!
Get a cab and tell them to take you to Bishop Arts District - Davis and Bishop. Bring a camera and show your bro there are no boarded-up storefronts.
Now...if you went to Ledbetter, that's a different story and miles away. Give me a break!!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,435,679 times
There are certainly some areas in Oak Cliff to avoid, but it's not particularly hard to avoid them. I feel perfectly safe in Bishop Arts, Winnetka Heights, Kessler and even some other just slightly less desirable pockets in OC. Love visiting there and my parents are hoping to buy in one of these neighborhoods sometime next year. (If my white, 63 yr old mom isn't scared of The Cliff, that should tell you something. )

The history and vibrancy of these areas should be checked out in person and only then judged. I find most people who tell you it's scary or gross haven't spent any time there at all.

Check out this pic thread Oak Cliff Photos - 2008 and then show it to your brother and see if this is the same Oak Cliff he's thinking of???

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-07-2009 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: updated pic thread link

Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
As others have suggested, certain areas of Oak Cliff are very, very high crime areas. Your brother's reaction is understandable. Sometimes the whole area does get painted with the same brush, but some of it is just so bad, the reputation exists.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,010 times
Your brother is correct. Oak Cliff in general is very high crime and rundown, not to mention is generally filthy. Not a place to be, espescially if you are new to the area.

The Bishop Arts District is quite nice, but it is only about 2-3 blocks long and is surrounded by rundown buildings and homes.

The nothernmost part of Oak Cliff near I-30 is very nice and has some million dollar homes, but it is surrounded on all sides by crime and filth.

The general rule is to stay north I-30 as it applies to the City of Dallas because south of I-30 is rundown, filthy, and high crime, not to mention a majority of parolees and sex offenders live in that area.

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
It's a shame because that area of Dallas is very beautiful. North Oak Cliff is nice but surrounded by areas that are less than desirable.

I REALLY hope the city of Dallas works on restoring the area because both South and North Oak Cliff are some of the most beautiful areas of Dallas.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Your going to have to be more specific when you ask your brother about Oak Cliff. You need to specify it's north Oak Cliff you are interested in. The Bishop Heights, Kessler/Stevens Park area. This is pretty much the only desirable area's of Oak Cliff (I grew up in Oak Cliff). Most folks who are not familar with the area cringe when they here Oak Cliff. Most of it is bad but there are pockets of great neighborhoods. You just need to be more specific when talking to your brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas