Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I think it is fantastic news and actually changes my view of Lakewood. I would move to a district specifically for the IB program. It is an exceptional program in my opinion. Other schools have the IB, but you must live in their area to attend or try to get in through a transfer which is not guaranteed and could be quite far from where someone lives.
In the Garland ISD if one gets accepted into the IB program they get bus transportation provided as long as they live in the GISD boundries. Since Garland High School is pretty centrally located it still isn't that far from most every corner. I'd say the farthest anyone would have to travel to get there is about 9 miles. IF they didn't ride the bus or had after school activities and such. We are 7 miles from GHS and I can be there in 10 minutes max in "rush hour". Since the GISD is "open choice" but still has "neighborhood zones" it doesn't matter when it comes to the special programs offered by each school if it is a "magnet" for that school. There is no "attendance" zone for those programs except for the elementary level G&T academies but there are 3 of those. No transfers needed if one qualifies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
In the Garland ISD if one gets accepted into the IB program they get bus transportation provided as long as they live in the GISD boundries. Since Garland High School is pretty centrally located it still isn't that far from most every corner. I'd say the farthest anyone would have to travel to get there is about 9 miles. IF they didn't ride the bus or had after school activities and such. We are 7 miles from GHS and I can be there in 10 minutes max in "rush hour". Since the GISD is "open choice" but still has "neighborhood zones" it doesn't matter when it comes to the special programs offered by each school if it is a "magnet" for that school. There is no "attendance" zone for those programs except for the elementary level G&T academies but there are 3 of those. No transfers needed if one qualifies.
Right, but I meant that if you lived in Dallas, for example, you couldn't go there w/o applying out of district (do they do that in Dallas? I'm not even sure if they do--I should have looked that up. I was basing that on what I've seen done in other states).

So although people are pointing out "but we already have those" around the area, this is a great step for those living in Dallas or those who would consider living in Dallas but aren't so sure about the schools....

Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Right, but I meant that if you lived in Dallas, for example, you couldn't go there w/o applying out of district (do they do that in Dallas? I'm not even sure if they do--I should have looked that up. I was basing that on what I've seen done in other states).

So although people are pointing out "but we already have those" around the area, this is a great step for those living in Dallas or those who would consider living in Dallas but aren't so sure about the schools....
Dallas has other magnets that if you are qualified you can go to and do not need a transfer. TAG is one such as is Booker T. I'm sure the IB program would be the same way and one would automatically qualify no matter where they resided if they lived within the DISD they should get a letter inviting them. That is how it is in most districts that have magnets and these kind of programs. In the GISD we get letters from every single school that has a program for our oldest daughter as they have their grades & test scores in the system and they want those kids at their schools to boost their performance. She was on the track for the IB program and her test scores and grades automatically admitted her into the program so we don't have to do any kind of transfer. Other parents that were not in the G&T programs but their kids scores were also qualifying got the letters as well. They usually keep notice of these things to get those kids into the schools w/ these programs.

You can not go by the city limits for the school districts around here. There are people that live in Dallas but in the Richardson ISD. Some that live in say Garland but in the Richardson ISD. Others that live in Richardson city limits but Collin County and they go to the Plano ISD. It is not cut and dry. HOWEVER, the Dallas ISD does allow students that do not reside in the Dallas ISD to apply and transfer into the schools w/ special programs. My daughter could apply to TAG and get in. I've known several that have gotten into Booker T. that live in Richardson and Allen. They just don't get bus transportation provided by the Dallas ISD.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:59 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Dallas has other magnets that if you are qualified you can go to and do not need a transfer. TAG is one such as is Booker T. I'm sure the IB program would be the same way and one would automatically qualify no matter where they resided if they lived within the DISD they should get a letter inviting them. That is how it is in most districts that have magnets and these kind of programs. In the GISD we get letters from every single school that has a program for our oldest daughter as they have their grades & test scores in the system and they want those kids at their schools to boost their performance. She was on the track for the IB program and her test scores and grades automatically admitted her into the program so we don't have to do any kind of transfer. Other parents that were not in the G&T programs but their kids scores were also qualifying got the letters as well. They usually keep notice of these things to get those kids into the schools w/ these programs.

You can not go by the city limits for the school districts around here. There are people that live in Dallas but in the Richardson ISD. Some that live in say Garland but in the Richardson ISD. Others that live in Richardson city limits but Collin County and they go to the Plano ISD. It is not cut and dry. HOWEVER, the Dallas ISD does allow students that do not reside in the Dallas ISD to apply and transfer into the schools w/ special programs. My daughter could apply to TAG and get in. I've known several that have gotten into Booker T. that live in Richardson and Allen. They just don't get bus transportation provided by the Dallas ISD.
That is great information, thanks.

I'd still rather have schools close to home but knowing that option is there really opens up possibilities.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I believe you have to pay tuition if you live out of the district. I know we've had kids at Woodrow from HP and they paid..same with Booker T.

If you live in Dallas ISD but not in the WW district there will be applications starting this spring for IB transfers. Of course you may not get in, I'm not sure what the criteria will be.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 PM

Woodrow Wins 2009 College Readiness Award

From ACT:

Principal
Woodrow Wilson High School
100 S. Glasgow Dr,
Dallas, TX 75214

Dear Ms. Vail:

Congratulations! The Texas ACT Council is pleased to present you with the enclosed 2009
College Readiness Award. The award is in recognition of your school having a significant
increase in its ACT Composite score over the past five years while maintaining or increasing the
number of students taking the ACT Assessment. This resulted in greater numbers of your
students being college-ready as a result of your efforts and those of your staff and students.
Less than 5% of the high schools in Texas were able to accomplish what you have done.

Nearly 160,000 Texas students took the ACT in 2009 which was an all-time high and Texas
scores have increased substantially during the last flve years which indicates that students are
using their score results to make improvements to their college readiness levels as well as
showing that Texas students score well on the ACT - a curriculum-based achievement test that
is aligned to the Texas curriculum. These results also show that your school's faculty and stalf
are providing the kind of education that makes a positive difference for all students in preparing
them for college and the workforce.

The Texas ACT Council is comprised of secondary and postsecondary educators who advise
ACT, Inc. on the utilization of ACT programs and services in Texas schools and colleges. We
would like to join the Texas ACT Council in recognizing you on this significant achievement.
Additionally, we have included a sample press release should you wish to share this good news
with your local media or school board. If you have any questions, do not hesitate in contacting
us.

Sincerely,

Karen L, Pennell
Assistant Vice President and
Regional Manager
ACT, Inc. Southwest Region

Glen Gullikson
Director, Elementary/Secondary
School Services
ACT, Inc. Southwest Region

c: Dr. Michael Hinojosa, Superintendent, Dallas Independent School District

Old 11-20-2009, 05:41 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
That's great!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 PM

neighborsgo.com: post your community news

Open House for new Woodrow College Preparatory Academies

By Dr. Kathy Scherler, Woodrow IB Diploma Programme Coordinator

Woodrow Wilson High School will host its annual “Welcome to Woodrow” Open House at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, December 8th. The evening will unveil the new “College Preparatory Academies” which will be implemented next fall, 2010.

The newly redesigned high school format will emphasize college readiness for all students. Students will choose between the four academies: 1) Academy of Math, Science and Technology, 2) Academy of Business, Finance and Entrepreneurship, 3) Academy of Performing Arts and 4) Academy of International Baccalaureate.

Woodrow Wilson is presently a Candidate School for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. After an informational and entertaining presentation in the auditorium at 6:30 p.m., students and parents are invited to tour the school, meet with faculty and current students, and enjoy the Club Fair which will provide information about clubs and organizations as well as highlight the College Preparatory Academies.

Incoming ninth graders for the 2010-2011 school year will have the opportunity to choose which College Preparatory Academy they wish to pursue. Incoming ninth grade students in the Dallas ISD may apply to Woodrow Wilson High School as a “Choice School”. Principal Ruth Vail and Associate Principal Dinnah Escanilla will be available to answer questions about the redesign and academic offerings.Woodrow Wilson is privileged to now be an International Baccalaureate (IB) Candidate School.

The IB Diploma provides an opportunity for students to earn up to 24 hours of college credit in their junior and senior years. Advanced Placement (AP) and Dual Credit courses will be available for all Woodrow Wilson High School students in all academies. Pre-IB courses will be offered next fall for incoming ninth graders. For more information please call 972-502-4419.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Story on Channel 11 last night - be sure to click video at upper right:

DISD School Being Redesigned Into College Preparatory Academy - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/local/DISD.college.preparatory.2.1355648.html - broken link)

"By next August, Woodrow Wilson High School will be a College Preparatory campus, with four distinctive academies, targeting college-readiness as the focus for every student.

The academy will be similar to a private school, with some major differences. There won't be a cost to attend Woodrow Wilson and neighborhood kids don't have to apply to get in"

Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Maybe it's just my personal DISD experience with Preston Hollow schools and magnet schools, but is the main reason WW is going IB to whiten the school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas