Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:06 PM

49 posts, read 183,994 times

Advertisements

I am due to have a baby a few months after I move to Dallas. Can anyone recommend a great Doula in the North Dallas area?

For those of you who dont know, a doula is a "trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and father before, during and just after birth".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
See if this list helps.
Pregnancy & Birth — North Texas Natural Family

Are you planning a homebirth?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 AM

49 posts, read 183,994 times
Thanks for the link!

Though I have heard great things about home births, we are planning to have a hospital birth. We decided to hire a doula for a few reasons. This will be our first child and feel that it will be really helpful to have someone there that we hire and is an advocate for us that has been through it hundreds of times. Also, studies show that having a doula reduces unnecessary medical interventions (dont get me wrong, I'm open to interventions that are necessary for the baby). It seems that alot of decisions are made for the convenience of the drs. and hospitals.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Just make sure your dr is comfortable with a doula calling the shots on your behalf.
Perhaps after contacting some doulas, you can get a dr referral that is compatible.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
^^^^ As pepper says, you better call ahead now and start calling around to the doctors to find one that is accepting of this practice.

There was a time not too long ago when C-sections were not the norm and the insurance companies were clamping down on their overuse. Not any more. My sisters doctor will ONLY do C-sections and he is NOT a "high risk" doctor at all. Our nephews wife had their first 1 year ago and their doctors practice was a major PITA! She ended up in the hospital over the weekend. By Sunday she was in full labor and she had to have a C-section because of complications that came up those last few days. The nurse had to call the doctor at least 20 times and INSIST that he come to the hospital. The doctors words, "not coming till she is seen by so-so to determine I really need to come up there". This other person told the nurse over the phone, "I don't even need to come in to tell you that woman needs a C-Section NOW! What your telling me is red flag warnings she needs to have that baby NOW!" Only when the nurse got beligerent w/ the doctor did he FINALLY come and was he PISSED! Found out the same thing later from our nephew........ this doctors group liked to only do C-sections so they could SCHEDULE them during CONVIENENT TIMES! Yes, it makes me THAT mad . Babies are NOT born on a CONVIENENT SCHEDULE!

Anyway, since those two births in our extended family in the last two years I've since learned that this is becoming pretty standard practice for most OB doctors. Even the nurses at both of these hospitals we were at told us that the weekends are slow and only 1 or 2 babies will be born the entire weekend. Mondays & Tuesdays however were VERY BUSY! Hmm, wonder why . There are still some that are not like this but you have to find them and hope they are on your insurance plan.

Good luck and all the best in your new life here in Dallas and your soon to be bundle of joy

Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 AM

38 posts, read 181,838 times
I took the Bradley Method classes with Linda Worzer (fantastic experience!) and although I didn't use a doula (wish I had) I remember her having a list of doulas she recommended. Here's her website .

Natural Beginnings

I have heard that Baylor Hospital (big Baylor) is much more supportive of 'natural childbirth'. Choosing the right hospital is very important, since you want the staff/nurses to be as supportive of your decision.

Here are two other sites that might be of some help.
MotherMe Doula Services and Childbirth Education in Dallas Fort Worth

Anna Marie Nelson, voted Best Doula in Dallas '07, '06, '05

Good luck with everything!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 22,649 times
First, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I used this Doula last year for my hospital birth in North Dallas. Anna Marie Nelson, voted Best Doula in Dallas '07, '06, '05
I had a successfull unmedicated birth and I would highly recommend Anna Marie - she was really great. I really liked that she helped my husband know how to help me and she gave me lots of great advice before and after (she is also a lactation consultant).

I gave birth at Presby Dallas - it was OK but I will probably consider Baylor for my next birth. My doctor wasn't TOO supportive but also wasn't against my plans for unmedicated birth. I have heard that it is more common at Baylor and that they are more supportive (as the PP stated).

This might be a helpful website: North Texas Natural Family — Green and natural family living

Let me know if you have any other questions - I am happy to help. I didn't talk about my plans for a more natural birth experience with many people because it is just not very common here!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 29,648 times
I used Anne Marie Nelson but we wound up using her back up because she had another birth at the same time. It turned out for the best because I absolutely loved the back up.....Brenda Shumway. MotherMe Doula Services and Childbirth Education in Dallas Fort Worth. If you would like any more details, send me a message and I'll be happy to give them to you!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
[quote=TX Katie;8430231 I didn't talk about my plans for a more natural birth experience with many people because it is just not very common here![/QUOTE]

I knew a LOT of moms that had natural childbirth in the Dallas area. It was a LOT more common than it has been in recent years. I had natural childbirth with my second. It was "unplanned" as the drugs wore off and nothing worked. After that I said if I did have another I was going 100% natural. Afterall, I'd already done it so I was fine with it and it could not have been any worse than the delivery I had already experienced natural (she was a ROUGH one ).

Baylor is a LOT better at going natural. Not the branches out in the burbs though. But BIG Baylor in Dallas.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 22,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I knew a LOT of moms that had natural childbirth in the Dallas area.
Good point. I guess I should have said that I didn't personally have many friends that even considered natural childbirth. Since having my baby over a year ago, I have become friends with several women with more similar beliefs. I wouldn't want to imply to the OP that Dallas is "anti-natural" childbirth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas