Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,588 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 y/o single female moving to the Dallas area in a few months. I am not from here therefore I am unsure of where to look for housing. Will be working in Downtown Dallas and have heard of Addison and Uptown a lot. Are these good places to look? Is there anything between downtown and Addison or is this commute tolerable? HELP PLEASE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,477,539 times
When I first moved to Dallas I moved here....

3221 Commerce Street, Dallas, TX 75226Phone: (214) 653-8233 Email: ahl@westdale.com

My building was the continental building at 3311 ELM st.
I lived there for two years.
I loved the place and only moved to the suburbs because I had a baby

Rent starts around $750
really cool looking place that is very modern and contemporary
Lots of singles live there (female and male)
security and gated parking
awesome community pool
great neighbors who are young professionals
no children
community events going on all the time sponsored by the management
Close to downtown and lots of restaurants/bars
awesome roof top deck with a great view

some pics of the place...

lobby...

roof top deck..

Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 AM

6,831 posts, read 14,079,854 times
Need a little more information from you to give advice. Whats your budget. Do you prefer a urban setting or a more laid back feel. Do you have a dog. Is mass transit important to you or not. Give a little more information for what your looking for.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 AM

62 posts, read 226,666 times
Welcome to North Texas!

Addison is due north of downtown, up the Tollway. The Addison Circle area is popular for young singles. Post Properties manages most of the apartments there. You'd be in walking distance of restaurants, entertainment and parks.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,230,148 times
Addison is too far and too cheesy IMO. Why would you subject yourself to the tollway every day? There is no rail, either...

If you are working downtown there are many great places nearby - Uptown,Turtle Creek, Knox- Henderson/Lower Greenville, East Dallas, Deep Ellum (as Dave suggested), Cedars/Southside etc. There are also many places to live IN downtown. Lots of older buildings have been converted to condos and apartments. There is a great sense of community among those residents, believe it or not.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:23 PM

66 posts, read 382,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic1 View Post
I am a 24 y/o single female moving to the Dallas area in a few months. I am not from here therefore I am unsure of where to look for housing. Will be working in Downtown Dallas and have heard of Addison and Uptown a lot. Are these good places to look? Is there anything between downtown and Addison or is this commute tolerable? HELP PLEASE!!!!

downtown,uptown or knox/henderson/greenville ave areas. :-) addison is ok but its a bit of a drive during traffic from downtown. Affordable but I wouldnt suggest living there unless you work there.

I live in a gables property in uptown(gables state thomas) and my best friend lives downtown in the high rise building with Fuse restaurant in it. She loves it and walks to work! :-)

Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,230,148 times
Yep visit the terrace at :: Welcome To Fuse Dallas :: and all thoughts of Addison will disappear.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM

492 posts, read 963,650 times
What they said above... addison no, UpTown around town yes

Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,960,976 times
Coming from a 40+ year old suburban housewife and Dallas Native........... UPTOWN!!!! Even my 14 year old LOVES Uptown. Anywhere in Uptown, McKinney Ave, Knox-Henderson (close to Chuy's ). Sure, Taste of Addison is fun (that is this weekend) and a blast........ that is only 1 weekend out of the entire year. Addison is okay but Uptown beats it by far.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:00 AM

62 posts, read 226,666 times
If you are going to buy a home, look at the foreclosure rates in Uptown vs Addison. If you are going to rent first, that will give you time to explore the different areas of Dallas and decide for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas