Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 30,377 times

Advertisements

Hello I am movin To Dallas,Tx this year and i really want to know what to look for too. I'm 31 years old and single but very reserved and laid back and mature. I have not decided on a area to live in but i will be working down town for about 8 months and then sent to a precint. I would really apprecate if someone could give me information about the people there and the way of life. I would like to know about elementary schools there also. I Just want to know as much i can about Dallas i just want to know what to look forward too. Your input and responses would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,241,660 times
Dallas is a large, diverse city with an approved water supply, electricity, paved roads and other usual amenities. With the exception of NYC and LA, if you can find it in the U.S. you can probly find it in Dallas, with the exception of mountains and large amounts of snow.

Just go for the adventure. If someone throws a lemon at you just make some lemonade.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,491,586 times
Your inquiry is a bit vague Tamara. Dallas is a typical midsized American city grown out of a tradition of Old West and Southern style. There's a healthy Mexican influence here which is fun and tasty. It's a growing city, very new not as refined as New York or Chicago, but not as decayed as Detroit or Philly. It's highway based like LA, not pedestrian like NY. It has good parts and bad parts. There are probably more people in DFW from somewhere else than natives who have grown up here so for better or for worse it doesn't have a particularly provincial feel.

You said precinct. Are you coming to teach or police? Like anywhere else, schools here are as varied as very very good to horrendous. Ask us more specific questions and we can help you better.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,074,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Your inquiry is a bit vague Tamara. Dallas is a typical midsized American city
No, it's not midsized. Out of about 350 metro areas, Dallas is the 4th largest metro in the USA.

I don't want to seriously pick nits with Bostonian, though, and he/she had a good point. You need to be more specific about what you want.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,627,216 times
Tamara - your first step should be to read the 50 or so threads in this forum about the subject. Then do some more internet research, and of course listen to what people here say to you. But bear in mine there are a few people here and everywhere else who will deliberately try to make the area look bad. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: