Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 PM

173 posts, read 655,677 times

Advertisements

I am an young professional, looking for a city with economic opportunities and a place good for kids education. Phoenix or Dallas? Which one better? Your suggetions are welcomed. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,022 times
I lived in Phoenix for almost 5 years. It's a very nice city and love so much about it. My dislikes outweighed the love I had for the city thought and had to relocate. The people are not so friendly, I didn't care so much, but some times it seems the heat has gotten to a few. Traffic is hell, but only during rush hour. The weather is what got me out. I love green grass and trees, rain and storms. It was the small things that added up to drive me out. If you move to Phoenix, go visit Sadona and Jerome.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM

421 posts, read 1,337,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceJohn View Post
I am an young professional, looking for a city with economic opportunities and a place good for kids education. Phoenix or Dallas? Which one better? Your suggetions are welcomed. Thank you very much.
Great question! I was actually wondering the same thing. I have been given these two options and I have the same question.
Good luck to you

Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 PM

It seems that Dallas has more professional jobs as more headquarters are located there.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
Quote:
It's all very subjective, so I don't think you can say one is better than the other. I like Phoenix for the recreational opportunities and the dry heat. I like Dallas because it has more of an urban feel IMO.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
It's all very subjective, so I don't think you can say one is better than the other. I like Phoenix for the recreational opportunities and the dry heat. I like Dallas because it has more of an urban feel IMO.
What you need depends on your priority. I metioned economic opportunity and good schools are my priority. Thank you.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:52 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
What you need depends on your priority. I metioned economic opportunity and good schools are my priority. Thank you.
Economic opportunity fluctuates throughout the year, depending on a lot of things. If you move to Phoenix today because of a job offer, why should you care about job opportunity 3 months from now?

Also, what kind of a job? Plucking chickens? Vice President of a Fortune 500?

Good schools? Both metros have good schools and bad schools. Could you believe in the idea that there is much of a statistical difference between the best Dallas and Phoenix schools?

OK, I'll throw the question back at you. Exactly how are we going to combine scores from the best and worst schools in either metro and come up with a number? And if we did, what possible impact would it have on a decision to move to one or the other.

Nobody really cares about an overall metro average, since a child does not go to every school in the metro. A child goes to a particular school in a particular district. Of course, if I had sent my kid to every school in greater Phoenix, and then every school in greater DFW, I might have an opinion of overall level of quality.

Your criteria are pretty badly defined, in my opinion. Coming up with an answer of any realistic value would require many hours of analysis, and would be totally irrelevant to the needs of a particular individual.

Last edited by aceplace; 05-09-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Economic opportunity fluctuates throughout the year, depending on a lot of things. If you move to Phoenix today because of a job offer, why should you care about job opportunity 3 months from now?

Good schools? Both metros have good schools and bad schools. Could you believe in the idea that ther is much of a statistical difference between the best Dallas and Phoenix schools?
Arizona education rank number 49th in the nation according to the report. only a few high schools got on the US&News magazine.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:00 PM

294 posts, read 781,911 times
Lived/live in both. Dallas is much more of a "city" than Phoenix. There is much more to do here imo. Phoenix wins only in natural aesthetics. I loved the desert look and mountains but felt the city was just too hot in summer and relatively boring for such a large city.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

Also, what kind of a job? Plucking chickens? Vice President of a Fortune 500?

Good schools? Both metros have good schools and bad schools. Could you believe in the idea that there is much of a statistical difference between the best Dallas and Phoenix schools?

OK, I'll throw the question back at you. Exactly how are we going to combine scores from the best and worst schools in either metro and come up with a number? And if we did, what possible impact would it have on a decision to move to one or the other.

Nobody really cares about an overall metro average, since a child does not go to every school in the metro. A child goes to a particular school in a particular district. Of course, if I had sent my kid to every school in greater Phoenix, and then every school in greater DFW, I might have an opinion of overall level of quality.

Your criteria are pretty badly defined, in my opinion. Coming up with an answer of any realistic value would require many hours of analysis, and would be totally irrelevant to the needs of a particular individual.
My kids go to the best public schools in phoenix area. Comparing to other states, I know AZ education is behind. I have first hand experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas