Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post
Why would you even bring up this point? The towers are hundreds of miles apart, no one will ever see them next to each other so it doesn't matter if "average Joe" can tell if they are the same height or not.

BUT, since you did bring it up let's put your beloved Houston in the mix. JPMorgan Chase tower is 1,002 feet, BoA Plaza is 921 feet. A mere 81 feet of difference. If you put the two next to each other, "average Joe" probably couldn't tell the difference in height. This too is a pointless observation because they will never be next to each other.
Oh but you can tell their heights apart. Last I was aware Dallas' BOA doesn't even have an observation deck!!! Pretty sad considering its the tallest building in the Central US between Chicago & Houston!

Houston has 3 count it THREE towers with observation decks. Dallas has about 1 or 2 (Reunion Tower & Commerica Bank or Chase I forgot which) neither of which is nearly as tall as Houston's.

Chase Tower - 1,002 ft.
Wells Fargo Plaza - 992 ft.
Williams Tower - 901 ft.

On a side note Wells Fargo Plaza just got a new lighting upgrade (thanks Ike!) on its $ shaped roofline. The white band of glass neon so famous in older skyline shots has been replaced with color changing LED's that flash, blink, & chase millions of colors. You can see it at night 30 miles away easily.

Dallas' BOA argon is ugly because none of it matches anymore & a whole lot of sections have burnt out leaving large gapping spaces in its vertical outline. Dallas is still living in the 1980's there.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-02-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Speaking of large hills & greenery in the dead of Winter Dallas can't touch this.

Taken today 20 miles south of Tyler.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0399.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0398.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0400.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0406.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0401.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0412.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0408.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0411.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0405.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0410.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/metromatt/IMG_0415.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-02-2011 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

86 posts, read 199,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh but you can tell their heights apart. Last I was aware Dallas' BOA doesn't even have an observation deck!!! Pretty sad considering its the tallest building in the Central US between Chicago & Houston!

Houston has 3 count it THREE towers with observation decks. Dallas has about 1 or 2 (Reunion Tower & Commerica Bank or Chase I forgot which) neither of which is nearly as tall as Houston's.

Chase Tower - 1,002 ft.
Wells Fargo Plaza - 992 ft.
Williams Tower - 901 ft.

On a side note Wells Fargo Plaza just got a new lighting upgrade (thanks Ike!) on its $ shaped roofline. The old white band of glass neon has been replaced with color changing LED's that flash, blink, & chase millions of colors. You can see it at night 30 miles away easily.

Dallas' BOA argon is ugly because none of it matches anymore & a whole lot of sections have burnt out leaving large gapping spaces in its vertical outline.
So "average Joe" can't tell a 70 foot difference between two buildings in Dallas and OKC but can clearly see an 81 foot difference between two buildings in Dallas and Houston? Also, what does an observation deck have to do with the heights of the buildings? Nothing, you're just scrambling for things that Houston has more of than Dallas.

The only difference is that Houston "wins" and Dallas "loses" in your head. You are only making this comparison because you think it takes Dallas down a couple of notches for it's tallest tower to be "only" 70 feet taller than what's being built in a city the size of OKC.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Speaking of large hills & greenery in the dead of Winter Dallas can't touch this.

LOL. Were there large hills hiding somewhere in those pictures? Was that supposed to impress somebody? Those pictures look like were taken in Anywhere, Texas

(Before you snap back with some reply about Dallas's wasteland, you should know I'm just messing with you.)

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 02-02-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
I hope people do realize that the buildings in Dallas do have height restrictions based upon where they are located in the city. The BOA in Dallas was supposed to be even taller but the FAA had them cut the top off to fit its regulations. The height of BOA is as tall of a building Dallas will ever have. The Uptown area has some pretty picky zoning rules in terms of height and such. Dallas just has a different development style than Houston. The only thing similiar is how the Cityplace tower in Dallas stands out like a sore thumb and just doesnt fit in with the rest of Dallas, that gives it a random Houston feel.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:

That is nice countryside and I'm sure it compliments the Tyler area well. But does Dallas have to look like this? Why can't Dallas have a different look and be appreciated for what it is? The prairie isnt ugly, its just different. If Dallas had the hilly, thick pine forest look it would be another Atlanta and you see how that landscape has really screwed up the functionality of the city. I would much rather have the layout / landscape of Dallas for a big city rather than be in a hilly forest. When I live in a big city I don't wanna feel like I live in the woods.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Well Damn! You'd think Matt is working for the mayor of Houston with a key to the city from his homerism. Even I don't hate Dallas as much as he seems to do to point out every single shortcoming

Give it a rest honey! Even the filthiest hookers know when to take breaks between customers. Go soak in some Epsom salt, get some Preparation H and something to stop all the bleeding from riding Houston's crotch all day! Insecure much? I know you miss Houston and there isn't much to do in Tyler, so you seem to have plenty of time on your hands.

Dang, now I have to think of something irreverent and nasty to say. I have a reputation to uphold!

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 02-02-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Well Damn! You'd think Matt is working for the mayor of Houston with a key to the city from his homerism. Even I don't hate Dallas as much as he seems to do to point out every single shortcoming

Give it a rest honey! Even filthy hookers know when to take breaks. Go soak in some Epsom salt and get some Preparation H and something to stop all the bleeding from riding Houston's crotch all day! Insecure much?
haha well said. You are quite the character I must say.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
haha well said. You are quite the character I must say.
Thanks boo, I try!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Actually, there isn't because "trashing" a place is still an utterance of one's opinion. Nothing I stated earlier could have been misconstrued as fact and I didn't present it as such.

I made a statement about Dallas and Houston, and Matt went into detail about how he felt different in an effort to downplay my opinion, so I did the same. Now I admit my response was a bit colorful, and while it was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek than anything, it was still honest. I didn't say anything out of spite (which is what you seem to be suggesting). So again, if you don't like it, that's your problem.

If Houston and Dallas look even "almost identical" to you, then I'm sorry, but you really need to adjust your observation skills. Because they simply do not look alike. I've been down this road before with a salty Houstonian, and I don't care to go down it again. Whether you suffer from an inferiority complex or simply can't take anyone saying anything you perceive as being negative about the city you love, I can't say; but it seems to be a personal, Scarface/HtownLove problem. Don't take it out on me.
Wow, seriously? You didn't construe it as such? Maybe you should reread what you wrote. Especially the last sentence on your tirade about Houston. You always do this. Like in the Houston section, you derailed a thread with your illegal immigration talk, then tried to say you didn't. Lmao.

Considering you have only visited both places, you need to get your eyes checked. From the freeways, yes, DFW looks more clean and sterile, but get a few blocks away from them and they look almost identical. You try to say that your opinion on Houston is just that, an opinion. Yet, my opinion is that Houston and DFW look alike off of the freeways (they do), but I need to check my observation? Take a look at Google Streetview. And look at you here in the post I quoted trying to present your opinion as fact. Lmao. You need stick to your SA forum until your knowledge of DFW and Houston go up, tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas