Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
But just because they choose to live in a master-up house, that makes them stupid??

Not everyone has to agree with your view. It's ... OK. Let it go.

Who wants to live in a neighborhood where all the houses are the same, anyway? Variety is the spice of life.
Why don't you let it go? The fact is, if you have a master up you will have a lower resale value in this area. The original poster didn't understand why and its been explained to death why.

If you want to buy a house with a master upstairs, knock yourself out. Just realize that 95% of people in this area prefer the masters down and down the road when you decide to sell the house, you will take less for it and it will be harder to sell.

Also, it is in fact the buyers agent job to let you know the facts. After that, its your decision to do what you want. If my agent didn't tell me that kind of information I would be pissed. Good thing I had a good agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Just realize that 95% of people in this area prefer the masters down and down the road when you decide to sell the house, you will take less for it and it will be harder to sell.

If this is the case, wouldn't you have purchased the master up house at a lower price also? Then it would balance out in the end.

In any case, the two houses I've purchased in my life I bought because my family and I wanted to live in them (huuuuuh! blasphemy!). I think it's a little silly when people purchase their primary residence with an intense focus on selling the home before they've even bought it. (I also wonder how much this mentality factored in to the current housing/economic mess we're all in.) Floorplans do influence sales, but if you like a house in toto and you can afford it - who cares? Buy what you want.

The opinions on this forum or just that ... opinions. (including this post) Take 'em or leave 'em. Don't hate on anyone.

Last edited by tyanger; 09-04-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 PM

53 posts, read 251,206 times
Be careful about using these online forums. There are a LOT of loud voices that aren't always helpful. They keep reiterating their own ideas in every thread, but they don't necessarily work for you.

You should go with what works for YOU as long as its not a really really obscure plan.

After a lot of thought, I have come to the conclusion that Master UP is better for me and my family as long as there's

a. a full bathroom downstairs
b. guest bed (or study that I can convert to a bedroom) for guests/parents

I value the fact that I can be on the same level as my kids a LOT MORE than thinking about some baby boomers not wanting my house. Anyways, I'd think that empty nesters/baby boomers would anyway want a smaller house. And I'm very happy to get the exercise to go up and down when required.

So, in essence, master UP is absolutely OK. There are a lot of buyers who don't really care about this. Most of the houses on the coasts have ALL beds upstairs.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
totally agree that what works for one person may not for someone else
as another poster said--decide what works for YOU but understand the consequences of that choice

one reason why many people hate having a master up is the HVAC system in most two story tract-built homes in woefully inadequate and the second floor is usually hot in summer and can be either too hot in winter or not enough heat--although since heat rises--that is not usually the problem...
seeking creature comfort most people will consign the rug rats to the unpleasant temps of the second floor and try to be comfortable with the temp set at 78--
even zoned/two systems HVAC can't be counted on to actually work correctly especially in homes that have lots of open/vaulted space where the air basically recirculates like it is one room 30 ft tall...

Old 09-04-2009, 07:12 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Default Re:

Quote:
i will ask again. What rock have you been living under? You've been here all your life haven't heard not one time that having a master up hurts resale value? Are you sure you haven't been living in trailer parks all your life in dallas?
Quote:
a brain? Did you ever think that someone could move into a 2 story house with a master up, and the steps don't initially bother them? Then over time it does? Ding ding ding? How about when their parents come to visit them? You think they are going to like climbing those steps?
Quote:

yes, this is how most homes are built here. Have you done any research?

Not true at all. We do get a few knuckle heads that come here and think they are still ion the east or west coast. Once we let them know the rules here in the south, the smart ones figure it out real fast.
Quote:
also, regarding your friends in university park, just because they are rich, that doesn't make them smart.
Folks, it's simple. If you don't live in a master-down house, you are:

1) Living under a rock (or perhaps in a trailer park),
2) Missing a brain,
3) A knucklehead (who doesn't know the rules of the South), and
4) Not smart (but possibly rich)

Fortunately for me, I *do* live in a master-down house.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 25,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Folks, it's simple. If you don't live in a master-down house, you are:

1) Living under a rock (or perhaps in a trailer park),
2) Missing a brain,
3) A knucklehead (who doesn't know the rules of the South), and
4) Not smart (but possibly rich)

Fortunately for me, I *do* live in a master-down house.
I dont understand this outcry against a master up. Different folks, different strokes.

People here are either stupid or unexposed to the rest of the country/world. Different people have different preferences!

Just cos you're loud or have more points against your name doesn't mean you're right!!

Since some people do prefer master down - maybe they're lazy or really old or loud when having sex - it does affect resale a little bit, but not to worry.

There are plenty of folks who judge a house by their gut feel and not by whether the master is up or not. If you find a house you love, but has master up/down, just go for it. Don't let others make decisions for you!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 PM

17 posts, read 57,077 times
why only master bed! if you are buying a house that is less thn 3000 sq feet...better get everything on one floor! esp if you have young kids n elders are visiting often!
my elders are quite old,in thr 50s,,everytime they want to sleep..it was hard getting them upstairs!! so whn we bought new house..we made sure we get the with master bed down, and another bedroom beside us or atleast a study which as 2 bedtype sofas! and let the othr 2 upstairs.......the best ever happend to us...we dont have to give our master bed to guests,,whn they come! but, this is my experience!!

if i get a realtor who is making decision for me,,i will let him/her GO !

Old 09-05-2009, 01:38 PM

6,828 posts, read 14,036,923 times
When I purchased my home I never considered if the bedroom should be upstairs or downstairs. I chose a floorplan with master down because I liked the floorplan. I would have been just as happy with a floorplan upstairs. I can see the advantages of either plan. To me it is about personal preference and no one is right or wrong. Get what is best for you and don't worry about what others think.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:55 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodallas1 View Post
why only master bed! if you are buying a house that is less thn 3000 sq feet...better get everything on one floor! esp if you have young kids n elders are visiting often!
my elders are quite old,in thr 50s,,everytime they want to sleep..it was hard getting them upstairs!! so whn we bought new house..we made sure we get the with master bed down, and another bedroom beside us or atleast a study which as 2 bedtype sofas! and let the othr 2 upstairs.......the best ever happend to us...we dont have to give our master bed to guests,,whn they come! but, this is my experience!!

if i get a realtor who is making decision for me,,i will let him/her GO !
Bingo!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
why only master bed! if you are buying a house that is less thn 3000 sq feet...better get everything on one floor! esp if you have young kids n elders are visiting often

lot size, age of the home, and neighborhood builder will determine if that is feasible for a particular location..
again--it all depends on what the buyer's want-list holds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas