Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with some kids getting to choose their schools? I live in a choice area in Richardson ISD and it's no big deal. I heard on the news last night that the choice thing made some parents mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Default Re:

The key word there is "some".

Of the 13 middle schools in the district, only one is allowed to choose their high school/senior high school. For those big into conspiracy theories, both the board chair and vice chair (and, I believe, also the superintendent) live in this particular area.

As a result of creating that choice zone, it will now be necessary to expand Plano West, at a cost estimated to be $4-5 million. Had those kids not been given the choice, that cost could probably have been avoided.

That's an expensive choice zone - all the district pays for it, but only the chosen few benefit from it.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Big G - what does it mean that I dreamt that they moved SMS into a cave?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM

That's pretty funny.

I'm letting this debate go. A lot of wrong turns, but the administration (I'm giving the board no credit on this) came through with an imperfect but pretty good plan overall.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
The key word there is "some".

Of the 13 middle schools in the district, only one is allowed to choose their high school/senior high school. For those big into conspiracy theories, both the board chair and vice chair (and, I believe, also the superintendent) live in this particular area.

As a result of creating that choice zone, it will now be necessary to expand Plano West, at a cost estimated to be $4-5 million. Had those kids not been given the choice, that cost could probably have been avoided.

That's an expensive choice zone - all the district pays for it, but only the chosen few benefit from it.
Oh! Okay. Yeah, that is pretty interesting.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
With all this hoopla one would think they were being asked to sacrifice their first born at the alter of the Plano god.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Re:

At least it gave the DMN Plano beat writers something to cover beyond "Man runs red light" or "New restaurant opens at Park/Preston".

Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
What's wrong with some kids getting to choose their schools? I live in a choice area in Richardson ISD and it's no big deal. I heard on the news last night that the choice thing made some parents mad.

Some of those lowly peons from east Plano might make it into a west Plano school, oh the horror!!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Some of those lowly peons from east Plano might make it into a west Plano school, oh the horror!!
PISD can't win, can they?

If they don't let eastsiders transfer, they are segregating rich from poor.

If they do, then they are allowing "white flight".

Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
Some of you may be confusing "realignment" with "redistricting." Realignment refers to amending the participant schools in an athletic district. Redistricting refers to amending intradistrict boundaries to achieve some balance in district schools. The school board redistricts, not only to redistribute students among schools (sometimes merely for "space" purposes) but also to achieve a racial balance in all of the schools in the district. School districts receive substantial sums of money if they can demonstrate that they are taking measures to achieve this racial balance. That is why kids are "bussed" throughout the district.

People in College Station WANT to be realigned. Try going to garden spots like Belton, Temple, Killeen and Copperas Cove to play sports. Most athletic events are shorter than the drive (sometimes one-way). The only thing good about those "beautiful" drives in that area of the state is that is it dark on the way home (and you don't have to see the scenery twice). We spend a buttload of money on transportation and insurance, and our kids arrive home VERY late in the evenings. I would give anything to travel to north Houston to watch my kids play sports --- a luxury that many of you already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas