Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:29 PM

54 posts, read 253,105 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Frisco area this summer and we need a well educated, knowledgeable orthodontist for our daughter. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 AM

54 posts, read 253,105 times
Thanks for heads up! Sorry you had such a horrible experience. I know the dentist isn't the funnest place to begin with and then to have that happen must have been awful. I hope you at least have straight teeth and a beautiful smile to show for it!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,488,962 times
You might post your question on Frisco's very active message board. Just google frisco online forum or something like that and you should find it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,971,020 times
agree with the negatives about Johnson and Collins--my experience comes via my daughter and husband who both had braces done by their office in Bedford more than 20 yrs ago--not happy with them at all...of course my son used Alan Bishop who was supposedly one of the best in the area and had no better luck with him...

frankly I would suggest going into the waiting room of any orthodontist you are recommended and just watching what goes on for half an hour...pick the time after school during the week on say a Wednesday for one visit and then a mid-morning turn on a different day...

if you see a waiting room swarming with patients, a file room swelling with folders, where the office staff takes lots of calls about scheduling/rescheduling visits, where a good number of the dental techs have braces themselve-- if it seems busy, busy---DON'T go there...no matter how good the rep of the dentist...

our own dentist who is VERY GOOD and does spend personal time with patients recommended both the orthodontists we choose--Johnson and Collins were who did his wife's and his children's braces--the only thing I can say is that professionals treat each other better than their regular patients IMO--

the initial visit you have will be the longest time spent with the orthodontist--

your daughter will normally be treated by a technician (often times working there to receive a lower price for her own braces) and the dentist will come in at the end of the time in the chair, do a cursory oversight of the work, pat her on the head, smile, and be gone...
most orthodontic practices are assembly line by techs although you certainly pay like the dentist is doing all the work himself...

it is mathmatically impossible for most othos to treat the patients who come to their offices on a daily basis more more than 5 min at a time--while some visits don't take long for adjustments they still have to be done properly--that requires often times more knowledge and experience than a dental tech has--although they won't admit that--

and just because you are told that the techs have been there for a long time does not mean the quality is good--both orthos we went to said they replaced their techs rarely--that most of them were there for 3 yrs or more--frankly I think they were there usually as long as they had braces --

Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,540,090 times
I agree with loves2read. My ortho for my daughter is very organized, very well scheduled and she gets one on one time with her dentist. Very clean, and I am happy with them. They are not in Frisco though.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:53 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,437,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvnagn View Post
My family will be moving to the Frisco area this summer and we need a well educated, knowledgeable orthodontist for our daughter. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated.
We are in Frisco and I have heard great things about Apple Orthodontix. Their office is at Preston & Lebanon.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,971,020 times
Apple is a big chain of ortho shops--where dentists go when they can't afford to buy a practice--
not saying they are bad but that is not where I would normally look for a "good" orthodontist--just like I would not look for a family doctor at a "doc in the box" clinic

Old 04-11-2010, 05:00 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,437,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Apple is a big chain of ortho shops--where dentists go when they can't afford to buy a practice--
not saying they are bad but that is not where I would normally look for a "good" orthodontist--just like I would not look for a family doctor at a "doc in the box" clinic
Well sorry. All I know is that we have friends here in Frisco that take there kids there and they love it. Whenever I drive by there office, the parking lot is packed. I have not had a personal experience with them as our oldest goes to Harris Orthodontics in Highland Park.

I cannot tell you how much its irritates me when somebody bashes my recommendations. Do you have braces? Do you go to Apple Orthodontix? Probably not. Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-08-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 11,281 times
@mvnagn, I am new in Texas. I am also looking for an orthodontist. I was wondering if you have found someone yet and if you could please share the name. And if you have any names for pediatricians. I will appreciate it! Thanks.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 AM

108 posts, read 287,375 times
my daughter just got qouted braces for $5000. Is this in line with what other's are charging?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: