Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
You know, I didn't even think of that. If you were in there in August for about an hour, you'd pass out. They must have some type of forced air. It may also be cooler in there because it's underground.

After about 2 hours, it would smell real nice in there :-)
Smell about like my kid did today when I picked her up from a week of church camp. OPEN THE WINDOWS!!!! When ya get home you better throw those dirty clothes in the wash and get in the shower yourself. YIKES!!! BTW, I'm headed to the store do you need deodorant? LOL!!!

I do believe they have some kind of forced air or vent. The only problem is the size and being so small and how people sweat when stressed and not a lot of air circulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,093 times
>> Smell about like my kid did today when I picked her up from a week of church camp. OPEN THE WINDOWS!!!! When ya get home you better throw those dirty clothes in the wash and get in the shower yourself. YIKES!!! BTW, I'm headed to the store do you need deodorant? LOL!!!<<

mine is in northern GA this week at church camp - not looking forward to this!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM

18 posts, read 51,480 times
Yup, just an air vent

Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
We seem to have this discussion every week. The only tornado of any consequence in the 150 year history of Dallas was in 1957 and it killed 10 people.

I'm getting close to 50 and have lived here all my life - I've never even seen a tornado.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy2007 View Post
Yup, just an air vent

I'm assuming this is a no-holer. Or does one just keep a big bucket down there?

As for the kids being away at camp, at least this year she made it home WITH her dirty clothes. Last time she did not and they were found a week later while we were out of town. So it was right at THREE WEEKS that these stinky clothes were closed up in a plastic bag. (There is no icon for this one -------------). You literally open the washing machine and while wearing a mask and holding the bag upside down into the wash open it. Of course you have the soap IN the machine before putting the clothes in. That way as soon as they are IN the tub you slam to door shut and start it up.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:03 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,145,439 times
The shelter should be fairly cool being underground. And the temperature's usually drooping when the tornadoes roll through. I'd be more worried about spiders and snakes. Or with my luck, a tree would fall across the door and flooding would get me.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,700 times
You should be fine in Frisco. Most of the really bad activity happens in western Tarrant county and beyond, north of McKinney, south of Dallas Co., and east, toward Paris. Somehow Dallas and most of Collin seem to miss the worst of it.

However, storm cellars are not bad investments, IMO. We had an unusually active storm season this year, and who knows how that's going to play out with climate changing the way it is.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
You know, I didn't even think of that. If you were in there in August for about an hour, you'd pass out. They must have some type of forced air. It may also be cooler in there because it's underground.

After about 2 hours, it would smell real nice in there :-)
With my 13 year old son it would be ripe in about 2 minutes!!
MBG

Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarb View Post
You should be fine in Frisco. Most of the really bad activity happens in western Tarrant county and beyond, north of McKinney, south of Dallas Co., and east, toward Paris. Somehow Dallas and most of Collin seem to miss the worst of it.
Does the heat island effect somehow disturb the weather enough to keep tornados away from Dallas?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Does the heat island effect somehow disturb the weather enough to keep tornados away from Dallas?
Yes. Water also does the same thing. Next time a storm comes thru or storms are popping up here and there watch the area wide animated radar on wfaa.com and notice how when the cells approach a lake they disappear or lose some of their intensity. We have friends that live in Rowlett on the part that comes down off of Hwy 66 between Dalrock and Cheisa and they don't get the rain that people just on the other side of the lake from them a mile away. You need to watch the regional radar so that you can see what they do around all of the lakes like Hubbard, Tawakoni, Lewisville, etc. It is pretty cool.

Another thing that is weird is how McKinney will ALWAYS be something like 5-10 degrees cooler in the winter than Dallas and closer in suburbs. Every now and then it is a more drastic difference. They also tend to get more of the rougher weather up there. This past spring just watching the animated radar you would see when we had the storms that would pop up then disappear many times McKinney and that area would be the only place around that would get rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas