Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 90,182 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida right now, but I am moving to Frisco, Texas with my parents next year. How scary are the storms here? I know that northern Texas is in tornado alley, and this scares me. Some people have said that they have not seen any tornadoes in this part of Texas, but I am still worried. In my opinion, tornadoes are worse than hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
We have tornadoes but in all my years (51) as a native Texan, I have never been in one or seen one personally. The threat is real but hope that helps put it in perspective. You should listen to the weather and pay attention to warnings especially during the spring and early summer (typical tornado season) but beyond being reasonable and taking precautions when needed. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it. You can have a storm cellar or safe room built if you're particularly concerned about it.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
"You can have a storm cellar or safe room built if you're particularly concerned about it."

Who builds these ? Seems that there is a market out there for them.

I'm in OK now, and it seems that alot of people here have these safe rooms.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:46 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
"You can have a storm cellar or safe room built if you're particularly concerned about it."

Who builds these ? Seems that there is a market out there for them.

I'm in OK now, and it seems that alot of people here have these safe rooms.
A few friends of ours have added these into the plans of their new homes (back yard) or have turned a large closet into a safe room. They told me that their particular manufacturer says he stays busy building these things. Here's a link.

SteelClad Safe Room - Storm and Tornado Shelters of Texas

Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 PM

126 posts, read 454,280 times
Honey, don't worry; if you've been through a hurricane, you've already been through the worse that weather can offer in North Texas. Just remember tornadoes are common during hurricanes and I bet you never worried about them when riding out that type of storm.

Thunderstorms are most common in the spring and usual in the Fall (I was in high school before I consciously realized there was any other way to get rain). Occasionally (every 2nd/3rd year) there'll be a severe thunderstorm with hurricane-force winds, but being from Florida that will be no biggie for you.

Hail is very common in the Metroplex as part of these rains; pea-size is the usual size with up to golfball being common. When I was growing up, we used to go outside and play in the pea-size variety. (And for all the transplant-parents freaking out at this point, it's o - kay. No one ever stayed out in it more than a few seconds. That stuff stings and the rain is always freezing cold when it hails. )
Winters will seem very cold to you with temperatures generally in the 40-60s range with an occasional 2-3 day cold snap in the 20-30s. It might snow one year (1/2 inch if we're lucky) and then we may go several years without seeing any. You will need one lightweight coat that will last you for years.

Weather fronts originate in Texas, so meteorology is a popular hobby here. Every spring, the TV stations run specials on how weather forms and signs to look for. Some of the meteorologists go to the schools throughout the year and have workshops for the kids. The phrase “If you don’t like the weather, just wait a few minutes” is actually true some parts of the year. It irritates me to see the TV stations treating weather reports like they are entertainment. They use it as part of their ratings race and break into programming far too often every time it rains. All that does is re-enforce newcomers’ fears and doesn’t provide any additional useful information

Weather watching is fun. North Texas provides amazing sunsets that will take your breath away with their colors. I swear part of the reason for evening traffic jams out of downtown are drivers being distracted by the sunset while driving home in the evening.

The sky is part of the landscape here. During the day, it constantly changes shades of blue every day; some days there are multiple shades in the same sky depending where you’re looking. You’ll be expanding your vocabulary trying to describe all the shades of blue to your friends in Florida.

Nothing's guaranteed in life, but the chances you will ever see a tornado are extremely low. I've lived all over Tornado Alley (North Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri) and have never seen one. (You know, some people actually pay big bucks to spend their entire vacation time chasing storms so they can see a tornado; weird, huh!)

If you’ve lived in Florida all your life, you will experience a huge culture shock moving here. Don’t let it overwhelm you. Look on it as an adventure and have fun with learning the differences. Please read as many of these threads as you have time for; they will probably answer most of your questions. Everyone here will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM

This looks tight...

Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times
We may need to post signs at the border:

Kidding...

Old 06-11-2007, 04:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
LMAO!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! You need one that also shows someone passing out from the extreme heat. LOL!!!

Btw, I thought we were always instructed to NOT run from tornados. Guess that is why we are so calm when it happens and no big deal. I guess if I were in California and an earthquake happened I'd be a bit freaked not to mention the fact I'd need some clean pants.

Socketz, does that thing have a/c? I sure hope so. If not people that run and hide out in them for hours at a time during bad weather might end up passed out or dead from heat. No thanks. I'll tough it out in the house in the closet or bathroom. At least in the bathroom if it gets too scary I can at least go and not in my pants.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:34 PM

Wonder how one of those shelters would do for resale....

"And her we have scraped hardwood floors, friesze carpet, stone fireplace, stainless appliances and an a cute little in-ground tornado shelter"

Maybe you could sit a birdbath on top of it and border it with impatiens.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Socketz, does that thing have a/c? I sure hope so. If not people that run and hide out in them for hours at a time during bad weather might end up passed out or dead from heat. No thanks. I'll tough it out in the house in the closet or bathroom. At least in the bathroom if it gets too scary I can at least go and not in my pants.
You know, I didn't even think of that. If you were in there in August for about an hour, you'd pass out. They must have some type of forced air. It may also be cooler in there because it's underground.

After about 2 hours, it would smell real nice in there :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas