Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,550 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dallas myself (27m) and am going to be working in addison, texas. Anybody have any suggestions on specifically what apt complexes are in a nice area? walking distance to the night life? Im looking to spend 900-1100 a month for a 1 bedroom or large studio. I do not know anybody outthere therefore would prefer an area where it "happening" with nightlife! I have been doing hours of research via internet and still cannot come to a conclusion on what are of dallas to live in. Galleria, uptown, midotown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,508,182 times
I would scratch off the Galleria area from your short list. It's adjoining a not so good area. You'd be near the mall and retail stores, but not nightlife.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,380,921 times
Live in Uptown & have a 10-15 min reverse commute on the Tollroad. Do not live in Addison (business travelers/ cheesy older dudes). There is no "midtown" in Dallas.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,028,792 times
Uptown or Deep Ellum.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 11,229 times
Uptown

Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 PM

611 posts, read 2,239,066 times
Victory or Glory Park

ghost bar EVERY night!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,247,937 times
Yeah, Addison is gonna be a long walk to the night life

Uptown

Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 AM

184 posts, read 552,589 times
Assuming by nightlife you don't mean anything honky tonk....

Uptown. Period.

Move there now! Seriously, that place is where things are happening. If you want to be in and around nightlife look no further.

Addison has nightlife as well; the best by far outside of uptown...even better than downtown these days. One big negative for Addison in my book is that they are one of the last ( if not THE last) city in the metroplex that still allows smoking indoors.

After a night out in Addison I have to take my entire outfit to the drycleaners... some bars in Addison such as Sherlocks have become out of control with the smoky factor.

Other than that Addison's night life is really good. If that is where you choose to live look into Post Addison Circle as it is within walking distance to all the good spots. Zen bar is actually inside the Addison Circle property.

But if you want the best nightlife in town you have to move to uptown. Gables Tower is a nice place right on McKinney ave and has a happening bar/restaruant on the bottom floor called Frankies. Everything else is within walking distance or, if you are feeling rather lazy everything is a very quick drive.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,501,224 times
Henderson Ave is where the nightlife is happening every night. Look at these apartments a couple of blocks south of Henderson:
The Belmont Apartments in Dallas, TX | Apartment Homes for Rent

It's not particularly convenient to Addison, but it's a walkable neighborhood and full of life.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 AM

625 posts, read 1,960,782 times
Ambassador and Pepper are right. Addison is great if you like more of a bar scene. Addison still has the best happy hours in the area. There's really no convenient place to live that's walking distance away from all these bars - Addison is still a suburb so you pretty much still need a car for everything.

Uptown has a good bar scene, but also has a lot more of the ultra-lounge style clubs. Uptown is also more happening on weekends - since everything is close together, everyone is walking around, several great brunch places to go within walking distance, and there's also Katy Trail.

Commute-wise, if you work in Addison, living in Coral Gables on McKinney - that'll take you about 25 - 30 minutes (with no traffic). That's definitely doable, if you working in Addison.

I've had several friends in this same dilemma, and there usually pretty split. Usually comes down to people. Uptown is more noisy at night, and definitely more snobbish and pretentious (way more $30k millionaire type vibes). People in Uptown consider people in Addison "cheesy" and "honky-tonk".

I live in Addison, but party in Uptown almost exclusively (I'm not really a bar guy and prefer the clubs). I'd love to move to Uptown, but the commute would kill me (I work in Plano). At night, it probably takes me about 25 minutes to get to Uptown, or I split a $40 cab ride with 2-3 other people. Not so bad. I find Addison way more convenient on the weekends in terms of grocery shopping, gym, malls, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas