Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,523 times

Advertisements

Wow Elan those are some nice thoughts. You're exactly right about providing for your family too. Sometimes it's not money. We've considered a lot of different avenues and it seems at this particular time moving to Dallas is going to be the most practical decision. Thanks for being so encouraging. Everyone on here is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 PM

74 posts, read 202,082 times
Best of luck on your decision. We moved to the Fort Worth area for my husband's job and although we really miss our old home, I never regret the adventure of coming here. New Mexico is not going anywhere and you can always return if you feel like you are missing too much being outside of NM. However, give it your best shot while you are here and make the most of it. Moving is tough but it is also very enriching to one's life. If I had a great opportunity like you are describing, I would have always wondered "what would have happened had I taken that job?"
Personally, I would rent first and really get to know the area and the communities before you take the plunge and buy. That way, you have kept things somewhat open-ended while you adjust. It is great fun entertaining friends and family from home if you can lure them to visit the wonderful metroplex as well as taking trips back and forth until a network is established here. It has been helpful for me to maintain the past connections to home and still feel like I am part of that world too.
If the job is a great opportunity, it will be a great resume builder for future possibilities no matter where you end up.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
This area has a HUGE stay at home population! Tell your wife to get involved with a moms group (google there are many). Join the Newcommer club, etc...the Libraries and rec centers area great place to get to know others.

I have moved several times with kids of all ages... Mom's groups and playgroups were a lifesaver when they were little. One of our Newcommers clubs in PA even had a babysitting co-op! I made lifetime friends fromn that group of ladies!

Having your wife be able to stay home and enjoy your baby, NOt stressing about money, Having a little extra FAMILY time is HUGE now days.

And as others have mentioned NM is very close...1 days drive.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 6,523 times
Those are encouraging thoughts dmorris. We've decided to move and I'm nervous but very excited. I think I would've alway wondered that same question too. How are you and your husband getting used to living in Fort Worth?

5stones--Thanks for helping me to see the non-tangable fact in having my wife stay home with our baby. You really can't put a price on that now days. I never knew they had mom groups. That's awesome. As soon as we get there I'll look into those clubs. I continue to be grateful for all of your thoughts and suggestions. Take care

Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,906 times
go to dallas. nm is still an impoverished place pyschologically, I've found people here settle for too little. the international city of dallas is light years ahead even as a southern town... learn something about the outside world- however, make sure you end up w/corporate sponsored housing. Keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas