Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I am with you tfw. A lot of their offline personalities have spoiled it for me. Crow is a very good actor, but.... I used to adore Tom Cruise, too......enuf said about him. Both are excellent at their craft, but have issues off screen.

Also, I think actors should be actors and not feel that their notoriety allows them to get onto political band wagons....it's a pet peeve of mine and it always irks me to no end. Two of the top females in the world are Jane and Barbra...at least they are older now and have learned to keep it down......

Okay, I'm getting off the Little Guy Podium now....
Dont get me started!! I hate to see actors think their celebrity makes them political-know-it-alls. The exception is Ronald Reagan, who, in my opinion, was probably the most caring, most likable and most successful president we've had in a long time. (Of course, I know that Nancy was really the president then and she's not very likable.)

And Hanoi Jane! Arghhh. Maybe she's outgrown her ignorance but I havent forgotten how much disrespect she had for, and how much damage she did to, our soldiers.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Grrr.... ever wish you had absolutely no family at all? Not counting husband and child that is.
Actually, I'm, blessed in that, in 65 years, I've never felt that way about any of my family (sisters, parents, cousins, etc). I do agree with crazyworld about the kids and husbands, though.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Actually, I'm, blessed in that, in 65 years, I've never felt that way about any of my family (sisters, parents, cousins, etc). I do agree with crazyworld about the kids and husbands, though.
Wanna trade? Bet you'd change you mind really quick. :
I just don't get the whole forgiveness thing.

Hubby and daughter makes it all worth it.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Wanna trade? Bet you'd change you mind really quick. :
I just don't get the whole forgiveness thing.
Hubby and daughter makes it all worth it.

I'm so sorry, Camper. Comfort yourself with the idea that, at least, they dont live with you. I have some little voodoo dolls; would you like me to stick some pins in them for you?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
The 'pony' destroyed more of my stuff over the weekend...my cherry end table, that I have had for 35 years now has a scar on it....so depressing....don't even want to talk about it.
O, Wurzig. Have you considered having a trainer come to your house and teach that bugger some manners. Even a puppy can be taught not to destroy furniture. Group classes are cheaper but they're not as effective for the problems you're having. I taught basic home (and competitive) obedience for 25+ years and also did in-home training; if you can tell me the area where you live, I can check on good trainers there for you....trainers who will teach kindly but firmly and will also teach you what to do so the dog learns to obey all of you, not just the trainer.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:00 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,489 times
Quote:
O, Wurzig. Have you considered having a trainer come to your house and teach that bugger some manners. Even a puppy can be taught not to destroy furniture. Group classes are cheaper but they're not as effective for the problems you're having. I taught basic home (and competitive) obedience for 25+ years and also did in-home training; if you can tell me the area where you live, I can check on good trainers there for you....trainers who will teach kindly but firmly and will also teach you what to do so the dog learns to obey all of you, not just the trainer.
We already had one over the summer, Bark Busters, but we are wondering about having a more strict one. He is very smart, very stubborn, strong-willed. He is also the biggest lover......very much a velcro-dog.... He is 100 lbs. and going to be 150. We are in the Fort Collins area.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry, Camper. Comfort yourself with the idea that, at least, they dont live with you. I have some little voodoo dolls; would you like me to stick some pins in them for you?
I have a voodoo doll that my mom bought for me in New Awhlins years ago......about 15 years ago, my girlfriend and I pinned her creepy, mentally abusive, alcoholic hysband's pic on it.....we tried to give him headaches......and aches in other areas. She eventually moved out on him when he was at work......and divorced him. I imagine his liver is cooked by now......wonder if he is still alive...... He was mean but we sure had lots of laughs with those pins!

I have never seen one in a regular store........where do you buy them? I might need more.......

Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Bark Busters taught us a lot, (private visits), but he laughs at stuff that controls regular dogs...... He gets very hot, (2 layers of different types of fur---built for snow, this dog!!!), so if you squirt him to get away from something, he loves it, (cools him off), and thinks it's a game.

We have a buried fence......he wears a transmitter collar.......we also bought a tiny thing from the man who installed the fence that would scare most dogs---you hold it and push the button if you want him to stop doing something.....it creates a little 'buzz', not really a shock.....it scares most dogs and they stop.......it just annoys him---he looks up at you and says, 'yea? so?'.

My sister-in-law, who has had several dogs, gave us a metal coffee can with pennies in it....we are supposed to shake it and he'll stop.......he looks at us and says, 'yea? so?'.....

He tears out huge amounts of grass.....I go out and say BAD DOG, etc.....he stops until I go back into the house.....

He is very strong but heels nicely with that little black strap thing that goes around his muzzle but doesn't prohibit his mouth from opening.....he hates that thing and since his mouth is always open, takes forever to get it on..he tries to bite it....it broke last night...... He runs around and around, we can't even get it on him to take a walk half the time and now we have to buy a new one.........sigh.... Those things are such a pain to get it on him, but it makes for the easiest walk......he tries to get it off the whole time we are walking though.....

It is so hard to remember that he's a puppy because he's huge........

Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM

I wonder how long it will take me to get 13 zillion hits on my 'wurzig'.......probably never since I am not on here as much as I was....... When I grow up, I want to be just like GLORY BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Heeeeeeheeeeeeheeeeee!

Okay, time to now act my age instead of my shoe size.........

Big hugs, Campie. All my relatives invented the word 'dysfunctional'. You know what I always say? All families are the same, just the names change.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Well, I wont say anything negative about BarkBusters -- except that I dont think they may have the knowledge to deal with your problems.

There's a guy named Brett Endes who has a company called The Canine Counselor, servicing your area. Below is a link to an article he wrote about too much positive training for home problems.
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Over-Positization-of-Dog-Training&id=1004261 (broken link)

And here are three other articles that he's written. He seems to be very knowledgeable:
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Brett_Endes (broken link)

Here is Brett's info:
The Canine Counselor

I believe in operant conditioning and positive training for a lot of teaching but using positive methods to shape behavior takes a long time and a very knowledgeable owner/trainer. To correct already-formed behavior issues takes some negative reinforcement (and not just spray bottles). I dont mean harsh methods...but firm ones to let the dog know, without question, what you want and what you dont want.

There's another private trainer who has good credentials but I dont know anything about him and am concerned that he doesnt give his last name in his bio. I'll give you the link in case you want to talk to him and see if you can get a comfort level:
Off Leash Dog Training - Fort Collins, CO

No matter who you choose, please dont let your dog go off to be board-trained. Please have the trainer come to your house and work with you and the dog together. I've seen dogs getting board-trained and it's usually very harsh (so harsh I had to leave the premises because I couldnt bear to watch). If not harsh, the training is ineffective because you cant change behavior in 2-3 weeks without being pretty harsh....harsher than I'd want anyone to treat my dog.

Edited to add that the coffee can does work on many dogs. The fact that it doesnt work on your dog indicates that he's not sound-sensitive -- and that's an indication of his mental toughness. (He can be a sweetie and yet be tough.) So you need someone who doesnt adhere to the one-way-for-all-dogs philosophy. Good Luck!

Last edited by TFW46; 11-14-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff