Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times

Advertisements

Did any of you check out this link posted by someone in the February Deal thread?
Men's Swimwear, Swim Shorts, Board Shorts, Bikinis and More - Nuwear - Free Shipping & 365 Day Returns

I think Camper should get Mr Camper one.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Thanks for the virus info, Glory! I'll run the CCleaner right now. There are so many phony virus detection sites that will just tell you that you have problems so they can get your money. It's good to know that someone like you has a personal recommmendation.

Over the years I've had every anti-virus program available. My current one, Kaspersky, seems to be the best for me. I also use MalwareBytes, which is truly awesome. MalwareBytes caught the first Trojan on Friday and deleted it. But the second one was dropped in my D drive and not caught until i ran Kaspersky a few hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
TFW...I don't know what programs you have on your computer, but some are quite essential. Here is an easy to follow video on how to get rid of a trojan virus.....without it costing you anything.

How to Remove a Virus, Malware, Trojans and hacks from your PC Part 1 - YouTube

Without doubt, you also need this:
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Actually, EVERYONE should have this. It is the first thing every computer tech will tell you. It is free. I use it 3-4 times a day, depending on how much surfing I am doing, to keep my computer clean and fast. You also want to use it every single time you download anything. Just keeps stuff in order.

You can also ask any questions over in the computer section of CD. I've gotten great help in their in the past.

For around $40, you can take your computer in and have it done for you.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM

TekFreak on CD always recommends the CCCleaner as well. It is TERRIFIC and you'll notice a different right away. You also have more detailed options for other stuff this program will do when you need it done. It has been my favorite for at least 7 years. Let me know if you have any questions about it or need help.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks, Glory! I ran it but was concerned about a question it asked me that sounded very much like a question another program asked me before turning my computer bookmarks, etc back three years. So I have to check that out before making those kinds of changes.

I got up the energy to take Queenie out to the schoolyard. The pack of dogs wasnt there. Whew. Then I realized that I live in Chinatown -- loose dogs quickly end up as soup. Maybe my wild-dog problems are over.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Thanks, Glory! I ran it but was concerned about a question it asked me that sounded very much like a question another program asked me before turning my computer bookmarks, etc back three years. So I have to check that out before making those kinds of changes.

I got up the energy to take Queenie out to the schoolyard. The pack of dogs wasnt there. Whew. Then I realized that I live in Chinatown -- loose dogs quickly end up as soup. Maybe my wild-dog problems are over.
I've never had any problems with the program changing anything on my computer. Could be that is was referring to back-up options. It's a really safe program.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 AM

HAPPY MONDAY!

Did you ever wake up and just feel crabby? I did today. No reason for it either. I got a good nights sleep,
I have money, no one aggravated me (no more than usual anyway ).........I just don't know. I sure hope I pop
out of it before I have to go to work for my double shift today.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I've never had any problems with the program changing anything on my computer. Could be that is was referring to back-up options. It's a really safe program.

The problem I had with my computer reverting back three years was my own doing. I didnt realize that Comcast Desktop Doctor kept its own timeline, separate from Windows. When it asked me if i wanted to revert back to the latest setting, I figured that would have been the day before. So I said yes. However, it went back to when I installed Desktop Doctor (three years ago) because I had never updated it (I didnt know I needed to update it).

I lost all my bookmarks, auto fill data, background colors, type of prints, etc. I was able to get most of the bookmarks back because I had saved them on a zip drive a month ago. The background colors, print types, etc may not sound like a big deal but I loved the way I had my computer screen all set up (after years of experimenting) and the thought of remembering whatall I had and how I got it has been daunting.

So now I'm leery of doing anything that affects my computer settings....mainly because I'm so computer-stupid and dont know what I'm doing 3/4 of the time.

Last edited by TFW46; 02-06-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 AM

Another tidbit...I've been thinking about getting a new computer. I got this Gateway about a year before my stroke, which was June 2006, so this computer has to be at least seven years old. Lately it's been freezing up on me a lot, both in email and internet. My great computer guy said the freezing is not a good sign and that the hardware is probably going to fail one day.

The thought of selecting another computer and especially loading it with everything I have on this one is terrifying, so I've been putting it off. But look at my horoscope for yesterday:

The resources you're using could use a major upgrade soon -- it's time for you to start researching new computers or other types of equipment that can help you do what you need to do faster and more efficiently. If you don't feel comfortable with comparing the details, don't be shy about asking for help. One of your friends has recently gone through a similar situation, and there is no reason not to learn from their mistakes and experience.

Maybe I'll go to the Computer Forum and see what they say about those new all-in-one touch-screen computers where all the works are in the screen and there's no separate CPU. Seems like it would cut down on all these darned wires.

Last edited by TFW46; 02-06-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Once I started using a laptop, I could never go back to using a whole CPU set up. I like being able to post from any place in the house. My son has one of those touch screens, but I don't. I buy a new cheap laptop every year for less than $500. Since I don't do music and play fast games on it, I really don't need one with all the bells and whistles. You can get a good deal at Walmart or even online with a refurbished deal. I plan to buy another one within the next couple of months. This one will be for Izzy to use when he comes over on the weekends....after we all move.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM

I've thought about a laptop but I dont have a wireless connection and dont want to have to deal with getting one. I'm fine with my desktop setup. I have a special room and desk for it. I'm afraid that, if I could access the internet and email from anywhere in the house, I'd be on the computer 24/7.

I started a thread on the Computer forum. I explained that I'm computer stupid and asked for small words in any responses. A very nice person replied but used words that i cant understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff