Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

Well dang it!!

Had a fire in the sun room last night. Attic fan caught fire. What a mess. Fire dept had to tear out about a 1/3 rd of the room. Foam and water everywhere!!

My box of freebies was in there!! Hubby tried to throw them out. HECK no there is some good stuff in there.

To top it off I am so sick with the Mountain cedar. I can't even go in the room. The smoke smell is so strong it makes my chest hurt.

This is going to be nightmare!!!!

Last edited by Camper1; 12-17-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 03:06 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear

Old 12-17-2018, 05:46 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Camper, I'm so sorry. Thank goodness you and hubby werent hurt but my heart breaks for what you're having to go through now.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Yikes, Camper. I'm so glad you and hubby were not hurt physically. Still, it is one heck of an emotional wallop.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:54 PM

Camper, when you're up to discussing it, I'm interested in how your attic fan caught fire.

Thirty years ago one of my dogs woke me up and alerted me to something going on in my attic in the middle of the night. He kept looking up at the ceiling vent and growling slightly. I could smell only the slightest scent of smoke so I turned off the heat and called the Fire Dept right away. They came out and told me that the unit had locked up (or something like that -- it was so many years ago I cant recall) and was starting to smoke and could have caught fire had not my dog woke me up and alerted me to the smell.

Ever since then I've been petrified of a fire in the attic. I have my heat/a-c checked out every year but I still worry.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:02 PM

One last post. I had all five joints in the middle of my right foot fused in 2010. At the time my foot surgeon told me I'd need to have the same surgery on my left foot eventually.

I was going to have it done three years ago when Queenie died but I was too emotional when that happened and, besides, the foot wasnt bothering me at all then. But in the past month it's started hurting a lot, to the point where I have to use my wheelchair to go anywhere.

The surgeon gave me an anti-inflammatory to see if that will calm it down. If it does, then I may be able to delay the surgery a while; if not, then I have to have the surgery ASAP. So far, the med seems to be helping a little, as long as I dont put any weight on the foot.

The surgeon said it might take a couple more weeks to feel the full effect of the med. So my Christmas and New Year's will be very quiet.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Let's look closely at this, TFW. Your Christmas and New Year's Eve would have been quiet anyway.
We are not exactly known as party animals. heeheehee

The weather in Texas can spin on a dime. It will probably be yukky through January and what better place for you to be than in your house keeping off that foot.

At least you know what to expect. Right?

Have I cheered you up or do you want to slap me? Maybe both?

Old 12-19-2018, 02:32 PM

LOL. I could never slap you, dear Ketabcha. Consider yourself kissed on the cheek.

I wouldnt mind at all if the recovery time were one month, but it's 5-6 months of non-weight-bearing. That means taking up all the plush rugs so I can wheelchair through the house -- and I cant do that because Lulu, being an old dog, needs the rugs for her stability. (My daughter took Queenie into her house last time, but she moved out of state and cant do it this time.) It also means not getting outside at all because there are steep step-downs at all the exterior exits.

And last time my neighbor brought in my mail every day and brought dinner over every night. Now, however, she spends 4 days/nights a week at her mother's house taking care of her (the mother, who is 90, had a failed hip replacement and now has no hip socket at all). Luckily, I can order delivery of groceries now but it can be a hassle to get exactly what I order.

I know, I know...I'm finding excuses. When Lulu passes, I will get the surgery and will figure out how to recover. I'll probably go to my other daughter's place bordering the Davy Crockett National Forest. The problem right now is that she has a lot of dogs (people are always dumping dogs on her street and she has too big a heart so she takes them in) and Lulu would be so stressed living there for 5-6 months. A week or so would be a nice vacation but any longer would be too hard on her.

The pain was so bad last week that I was ready to say "do surgery" -- but now that the anti-inflammatory seems to be working a little, I'll just keep my mouth shut about the pain/discomfort and deal with it.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:53 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Again Camper, I'm so sorry to hear - I've done some basic research because my upstairs gets horribly hot but the attic fan thing scared me because so many warned about fires

TFW - I'm sorry to hear about your foot/feet issues - I feel you, I think I've learned that once you have surgery (esp. if we aren't in our 20's anymore, LOL) - not sure if it makes things better or worse. Wishing you luck with whatever happens with you!!

Old 12-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Thanks, Flamingo. I'm sitting here waiting for Lulu to bark to be let back in and your post just popped up.

I recovered really well from the fusion surgery on my right foot. I even reminded the surgeon of that last week. But, for some reason, he seemed reluctant about my chances of of a good recovery this time. He even said "Well, when someone has a good result from one surgery, they often have a poor result from the other surgery." I thought that was a strange comment to make, even though he's an awesome surgeon and knows what he's talking about.

Yes, I'm 8 years older this time. But my right foot was in much worse condition back then. And I've had a lot of surgeries and recovered great, with no complications, from every single one. I even had an ovariohysterectomy and could have gone back to work the next day -- heck, I could have gone back to work from the recovery room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff