Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

I love cold weather. I love snow. I'm also retired and don't have to get out in it.
I learned to drive in Kansas. I know how to drive in snow and ice. A whole lot of folks in Texas don't know how. We hardly get snow and ice in Texas, except for the panhandle. However, I do think we are in for it this winter. It snowed a little here over the weekend. Very little.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Ketabcha, I lived in Denver and outside of Boston when my kids were young. I was able to drive in snow back then but I wouldnt be able to do it now. And, being retired, I love not having to get out in bad weather. I still feel a little guilty about that.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Ketabcha, I lived in Denver and outside of Boston when my kids were young. I was able to drive in snow back then but I wouldnt be able to do it now. And, being retired, I love not having to get out in bad weather. I still feel a little guilty about that.
Don't feel guilty, TFW. You earned your retirement. That's what my BFF tells me from time to time when I want to spend a lot on a particular book and feel guilty about it. I never feel guilty about being able to stay in the house in bad (or good) weather. Yeah, we earned this.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Yes, we did earn it, Ketabcha. It's warned up to 66 here now (at noon) and is expected to continue warming up. We should be in the 80s again by the weekend. We're supposed to get a lot of rain between now and then but that's ok -- I love lying in bed and listening to the rain. Another benefit of retirement.

I'm praying for Bob and Flamingo and anyone else caught up in the terrible snows and sub-freezing temps. Poor western New York -- the snow photos are terrible. I saw pictures of snow piled so high (8 feet or more) that it pushed in front doors on houses and garages. How do people manage in conditions like that?

See this link for some unbelievable snow photos, especially of Buffalo, NY:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ork-state.html

Old 11-19-2014, 06:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Thanks for thinking of me TFW - staying warm as I can (I keep the heat low, I hate to be hot plus trying to save on the gas bill and this house is poorly insulated - as much as I'm hating this so soon, I too am glad I'm not in Buffalo, those poor people and they are getting more!!! It wasn't quite so bad today (not as windy as yesterday) - this week happens to be Dr. appts. (routine dental cleaning today) - check on BP tomorrow (had to get put on a med. for it....) and 6 mo. pre-schedule appt. w/Endo. for the thyroid. It's currently 33 (8 pm) supposed to be not too bad tomorrow, then cold, then warm-up Sun./Mon. then cold again.

Hope you're staying warm and feeling better.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 PM

Stay inside and stay warm, Flamingo. Dont go to those appts if it's cold or snowy/icy. You can always re-schedule. You may not have to worry about your driving on the icy roads but you do have to worry about the other guy out there.

I went into a deep ditch in Denver back in 1968 because someone alongside me skidded into my car. There was a lot of snow and ice and, of course, that was long before cell phones. It took 4-5 hours for a tow truck to get to me. And my 16-year-old car didnt have a working heater -- gosh, I still remember how cold it was in my car that day.

I seldom use the heat in my house too. I put on my flannel pajamas and sometimes even put on two pair of them. In 2006 I set my ceiling fans to reverse direction and it did help the house feel warmer. (Clockwise for warming and counter-clockwise for cooling) But I have to get up on a ladder to do that because the switch is above the blades -- and I'm not steady enough to do that anymore.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Here's another link to snow photos posted by Buffalo residents. And USA TODAY says that 60-70 more inches of snow is on the way to the Northeast.

Snow-sufferers post their crazy photos

Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks for thinking of me TFW - staying warm as I can (I keep the heat low, I hate to be hot plus trying to save on the gas bill and this house is poorly insulated - as much as I'm hating this so soon, I too am glad I'm not in Buffalo, those poor people and they are getting more!!! It wasn't quite so bad today (not as windy as yesterday) - this week happens to be Dr. appts. (routine dental cleaning today) - check on BP tomorrow (had to get put on a med. for it....) and 6 mo. pre-schedule appt. w/Endo. for the thyroid. It's currently 33 (8 pm) supposed to be not too bad tomorrow, then cold, then warm-up Sun./Mon. then cold again.

Hope you're staying warm and feeling better.
I didn't realize you were in VA, Flamingo. That sure is pretty country. Beware of the winter this year. I've heard some real horror stories from weathermen about how bad and long this winter is going to be. Of course, "bad winter weather" has a different meaning in Texas than in the Northeast. TFW made a good point in saying to stay home if you can. It's the other drivers that are dangerous. Although, the folks I know from that part of the country are quite savvy about winter driving. Still, the combination of ice, blizzard conditions can sometimes not be overcome with good driving skills. You know that better than I do.

p.s.
The same instructions go for you, too, Bob. Just call me a nag.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 AM

22,184 posts, read 14,796,611 times
Its always funny after the first snow here because you see lots of new suv's in the woods because every vehicle stops the same!
I don't drive much in the snow because my car is rear wheel drive.

It was so cold here last year that a dog got frozen to a fire hydrant!

I can handle the cold better than the heat.
They are saying 50s and 60s next week

Stay safe everybody!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I didn't realize you were in VA, Flamingo. That sure is pretty country. Beware of the winter this year. I've heard some real horror stories from weathermen about how bad and long this winter is going to be. Of course, "bad winter weather" has a different meaning in Texas than in the Northeast. TFW made a good point in saying to stay home if you can. It's the other drivers that are dangerous. Although, the folks I know from that part of the country are quite savvy about winter driving. Still, the combination of ice, blizzard conditions can sometimes not be overcome with good driving skills. You know that better than I do.

p.s.
The same instructions go for you, too, Bob. Just call me a nag.
Thanks ladies - it was beautiful here today and going to get warmer in the next couple days - then cold again - "they" are saying another rough winter for us (hoping they're wrong!!) - last year was bad.

I don't go out when it's bad - too many around here don't know how to drive in good weather, let alone bad (I swear they don't know how to read or figure out the "picture" traffic signs either, they also don't appear to have "paid extra" for turn signals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff