Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times

Advertisements

I visited Dover over the weekend (July 4th)and I have to say the place just seemed completely depressing. For starters, what is with the "Mall". In all honesty, it looks like a flea market with a "Macy's", a Sears, and a JcPenny. The Macy's carried NO DECENT clothes. It was so small. The movie theater inside the mall was disgusting.

I saw lots people around Dover who looked...well bad. Like former alcoholics and drug addicts.

And what's with the poorish looking area, where there were a lot of african American's in run down homes.

Old strip malls - check.
One Starbucks in Safeway that just opened.

A Football field (Del State) that cannot compare to HS Footbal fields/stadiums in the South.

The huge ugly Dover Race Track.

Just looked sad.

I am commenting because a relative of mine just moved there and I am thinking WHY??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM

405 posts, read 676,031 times
Why don't you ask your relative?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
Why don't you ask your relative?
I did ask and could not get a straight answer. That said, why does that place look so sad.. My 10 year son said, "Dad, the people look poor". If this is what no taxes gets you, than forget that. Please send me a tax bill!!!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I did ask and could not get a straight answer.

That said, why does that place look so sad.. My 10 year son said, "Dad, the people look poor". If this is what no taxes gets you, than forget that.

Please send me a tax bill!!!
Bet they won't ask you back!
Sorry, your tax bill won't be ready for another 3-4 weeks. Where would you like it sent?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:51 PM

319 posts, read 504,524 times
mrdkb

I would be curious to ask how does your home town look and what are its demographics?

When traveling internationally, I have come to know that the tourist areas are not where
the average person lives.

There are a number of very upscale areas in Delaware as well as more pastoral areas with
natural beauty on through quaint small towns dotted in between.

It depends on what it is you seek.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:31 AM

84 posts, read 206,406 times
Is it really necessary to come onto a forum just to bash a place you visited?

Please, tell me where you live, I'd love to come see it and see what horrible, depressing things I can find there to comment to you about. You focus on the bad, but what about the good. What about the quant downtown Dover? About all the new businesses and things coming into the area? Dover has grown immensely since I first drove through it 10 years ago travelling between my hometown and college. I've driven up and down Rt 13 many times and was a little scared to move here when my job moved a little over a year ago. But when I visited it again after not being here for 5+ years I was pleasantly surprised.

Dover isn't for everyone. If you like to go out to the clubs and party then it's not your scene. But if you like a quiet area with AFFORDABLE homes and no traffic (note: moved from the DC Metro area-where things aren't affordable and there are too many people), then it's a wonderful place to live. It's got everything you need and great pizza (something else we couldn't get in the DC area...and since I'm originally a north Jersey Girl, I'm a pizza snob). I love being able to go out to the orchards/farm/amish market and pick up food at a reasonable price. I once bought zucchini at a farm stand in the DC area for $2 each....ridiculous.

So quit complaining and stay in you own darn hometown if you hate it so much! No one likes a whiner!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj215 View Post
Is it really necessary to come onto a forum just to bash a place you visited?

Please, tell me where you live, I'd love to come see it and see what horrible, depressing things I can find there to comment to you about. You focus on the bad, but what about the good. What about the quant downtown Dover? About all the new businesses and things coming into the area? Dover has grown immensely since I first drove through it 10 years ago travelling between my hometown and college. I've driven up and down Rt 13 many times and was a little scared to move here when my job moved a little over a year ago. But when I visited it again after not being here for 5+ years I was pleasantly surprised.

Dover isn't for everyone. If you like to go out to the clubs and party then it's not your scene. But if you like a quiet area with AFFORDABLE homes and no traffic (note: moved from the DC Metro area-where things aren't affordable and there are too many people), then it's a wonderful place to live. It's got everything you need and great pizza (something else we couldn't get in the DC area...and since I'm originally a north Jersey Girl, I'm a pizza snob). I love being able to go out to the orchards/farm/amish market and pick up food at a reasonable price. I once bought zucchini at a farm stand in the DC area for $2 each....ridiculous.

So quit complaining and stay in you own darn hometown if you hate it so much! No one likes a whiner!
Wow. Sorry I didn't mean to offend.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Personally, I think it's good to get an honest opinion from someone who visited recently and tells it like he/she saw it. People who live in a place for awhile view things through different eyes. As someone who has considered moving to the area, I like to hear varying opinions. It's like when I visit my relatives, I personally find most of their area very depressing but they are just used to it.

Last edited by loveautumn; 07-09-2013 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM

71 posts, read 205,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Personally, I think it's good to get an honest opinion from someone who visited recently and tells it like he/she saw it. People who live in a place for awhile view things through different eyes. As someone who has considered moving to the area, I like to hear varying opinions. It's like when I visit my relatives, I personally find most of their area very depressing but they are just used to it.
I do agree with you, however a little diplomacy goes a long way.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Well, "honest" doesn't seem to be the issue here. There are pockets of less desirable areas in most communities/towns/cities, aren't there?....as well as well maintained, attractive, historic and more desirable areas. Maybe the original poster's relatives live in one of those areas which is less desirable. In that case, the OP may not have had the opportunity to travel around and appreciate all Dover's good points, which appears to be the case. As said, what about the orchards, Amish farms, specialty shops, museums, fresh produce, and polite, unaffected people living here?

However, the OP's remark about the Dover Mall may be valid, if Malls are important to him/her. They are not for all of us. His/Her other remark about us not paying taxes is totally bogus, showing he does not know the area at all. In Delaware, if one owns property, there's a tax bill sent.

Rather than rely on one person's pompous, narrow view, how about visiting Dover for yourself? Here's a brochure to get you started.
http://www.onefulfillment.com/rack/VisitDover/

Last edited by rdlr; 07-09-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware