Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM

15 posts, read 50,498 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife and I have been looking at Delaware, as we would love to escape the ridiculous cost of living in Maryland. We have 2 small children, so schools are of utmost importance. I have noticed some nice housing in Smyrna and Magnolia. How do they compare in terms of schools performance, and which area is better for amenities, shopping, which area is more desirable in general... I dont mind an area that is rural but i dont want to have to drive 20mins to the grocery store.

Thanks to all in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 AM

84 posts, read 206,475 times
In Magnolia, you are about 10 minutes from Walmart and Redners and close to 15 from Safeway as far as grocery stores goes. You also have the farms (Fifers Orchard is about 10 minutes, Bylars Amish Market is a decent drive from either Magnolia or Smyrna, and there are farm stands all over Rt 1 south of the base).

From what I can tell (but I don't have kids so I'm not positive), Magnolia would be better in terms of the school district. The Caeser Rodney district is *I think* the best (at the very least high on the list) in Kent County (not the state but I think the county).

Smyrna has more going on however. There are stores and more things and it's a little bigger. Magnolia is a small town where a lot of the military personnel, people associated with the base and retirees from other states live (at least thats how it is in my community). I don't travel to Smyrna often because there is not much there I need to get to that isn't in Dover which is closer.

My husband and I moved to Magnolia from Rockville, MD a year and a half ago and we couldn't be happier. You may not want to drive 20 minutes to a grocery story now, but that might be because traffic in MD is awful and that's all you can think about (20 minute drive actually is closer to 45 most days? At least that's how it was in Rockville). There are so many less people you don't notice when you are driving far because you actually move instead of sitting in traffic.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 6,068 times
Hello Everyone... I am 58 (today) and am moving to DE. on 10/31, I have rented an apt. in Claymont for 6months, I need to know about the cost of Insurances in DE. Car, Homeowners, Health, everyone always talks about the low taxes in DE. but what about the cost of insurances? Can anyone give me an idea of these items. I am movin from York County Maine, I pay 630.00 a years for my car ins. a 2012 Kia Soul and around 600.00 a year for my homeowners, I will have to buy summplemetal health ins. in DE. I have medicare and social security disability as it is free as long as I am a Maine resident. Please if anyone can give me a clue as to these costs I would greatly appreciate it, I am renting for 6 months while I decide if DE. is where I want to be cost wise and I cannot stand the Maine winters anymore!!! Thank You for your help......Penny

Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 AM

103 posts, read 360,769 times
If you have a pension it is taxed as regular income in Delaware. The insurance premiums are probably comparable to what you are currently paying. Call some brokers and get free quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plosee View Post
Hello Everyone... I am 58 (today) and am moving to DE. on 10/31, I have rented an apt. in Claymont for 6months, I need to know about the cost of Insurances in DE. Car, Homeowners, Health, everyone always talks about the low taxes in DE. but what about the cost of insurances? Can anyone give me an idea of these items. I am movin from York County Maine, I pay 630.00 a years for my car ins. a 2012 Kia Soul and around 600.00 a year for my homeowners, I will have to buy summplemetal health ins. in DE. I have medicare and social security disability as it is free as long as I am a Maine resident. Please if anyone can give me a clue as to these costs I would greatly appreciate it, I am renting for 6 months while I decide if DE. is where I want to be cost wise and I cannot stand the Maine winters anymore!!! Thank You for your help......Penny

Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 PM

8 posts, read 11,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgerlach1 View Post
If you have a pension it is taxed as regular income in Delaware. The insurance premiums are probably comparable to what you are currently paying. Call some brokers and get free quotes.

Only State and Federal witholding are taxed for Delaware pensions. No FICA or SS is taken out.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM

103 posts, read 360,769 times
If you have an out of state pension it is taxed as regular income.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM

698 posts, read 1,052,143 times
a person over 60 receives a $12,500 exclusion in pension or a combination of other retirement income- dividends, capitol gains, interest- whichever is less. i have lived in delaware for over 7 years and have been receiving an out of state pension for over 10 years. this has been the policy regarding retirement income since i moved here, at age 63.

catsy girl

Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM

102 posts, read 133,744 times
Hello, I am wondering if you live in Champions Club. If you do, could you tell me how the snow removal is in the complex and the roads surrounding. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:58 PM

388 posts, read 998,917 times
hello,

I live in Champions' Club. If we receive 2 or more inches of snow, the HOA removes it along sidewalks, driveways, even your steps up to the front door. They also do the roads of the entire campus since the builder still owns the area. Last winter we had professional removal twice, none so far this year. They do a good job keeping things clear. Hope that helps!

Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY FLA? View Post
Hello, I am wondering if you live in Champions Club. If you do, could you tell me how the snow removal is in the complex and the roads surrounding. Thanks.
First part of this question has been well addressed. Surrounding roads (more specifically) Plain Dealing Road is a secondary road, which is accessed upon leaving Champions Club. Secondary roads are not the state's priority for clearing. Depending upon the amount of snow, it's quite possible a subdivision has cleared their streets/roads, but getting out of the subdivision on to a secondary road is where the problems may occur. State Street Extended (Rt. 113 Alt.) is a primary road, leading through Magnolia, and receives prompt attention by the State. I don't live in Champions Club, but have been in Kent County all my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware