Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 AM

16 posts, read 29,162 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking for some recommendations.
We will be retiring in about 12 months and plan on moving to Delaware from Springfield Illinois to be closer to our grandchildren in Smyrna.
We live in a golf community today and would like to be in or near one. We are avid bicyclist and kayakers so be close to state parks, back roads, ponds, inlets and streams is high on the list.
We do want to be part of a community and a town, Lewes and Rehoboth very much appeals to us.
We will be visiting several properties over the holidays
First on our list is Heritage ashore. My concern is it appears to be far from everything.
We are looking at several Schell Brothers properties including Independence (no golf) Peninsula (high end of HOA and golf Fees) Bayfront (no golf but looks like great location.
Are there others we should look at? We don't want to feel like we are in a rental resort neighborhood, one of my concerns with the Peninsula.
Thank you in advance for any help on properties and communities we should look at.
Rick & Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 AM

13,067 posts, read 18,209,673 times
You don't indicate if you are looking to own or land lease. Baywoods which is near Reho/Lewes and a golf comminity comes to mind but they are only land lease. Use the search feature in the above banner and put in the names of the various communities and builders, Read through and then ask questions to get a more updated response if the latest response is old.

Baywood Greens

You should also think about the difference between a 55+ and no age limit (namely amenities) community. Each community will also offer different amenities so draw up a list of must haves. For example, our community does not include lawn care in our HOA fees so either you have to do it yourself or pay to have done.

There is a wealth of info on these pages.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You don't indicate if you are looking to own or land lease. Baywoods which is near Reho/Lewes and a golf comminity comes to mind but they are only land lease. Use the search feature in the above banner and put in the names of the various communities and builders, Read through and then ask questions to get a more updated response if the latest response is old.

Baywood Greens

You should also think about the difference between a 55+ and no age limit (namely amenities) community. Each community will also offer different amenities so draw up a list of must haves. For example, our community does not include lawn care in our HOA fees so either you have to do it yourself or pay to have done.

There is a wealth of info on these pages.
Great advice thank you. I have been scouring the search feature but will dig deeper. Lease land is not a concept I'm familiar with, but will investigate further. Most important amenity for us is less around why a HOA provides versus the friendship of people, something harder to get from spec sheets.
Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,207,505 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...illsboro-2.htm
Post #13 in this thread is buy an owner in BayWood giving actual specifics of the landlease benefits.
BayWood being on Long Neck has much to offer location wise. Friendly people, Easy access to Lewes/Rehoboth area. Access to Rehoboth Bay,Indian River Bay and a few streams.Boat ramps and boat docks are available to BayWood residents as well as our famous Paradise Grill.
One word of caution here. Our 2 lane back roads with no shoulders or bike lanes are dangerous.Please use the bike trails in the parks.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM

9,749 posts, read 14,315,316 times
Rehoboth Beach Yacht & Country Club - Rehoboth Beach

Kings Creek Golf & Country Club - Rehoboth Beach

Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM

13,067 posts, read 18,209,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Rehoboth Beach Yacht & Country Club - Rehoboth Beach

Kings Creek Golf & Country Club - Rehoboth Beach
Both literally in my backyard and I never gave them a thought.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:01 PM

374 posts, read 519,597 times
Hi Schuhouse, and welcome to the board.

My wife and I currently live on a golf course in Aurora, Illinois and completed a house search in the Lewes/Rehoboth area this past April. We didn't look for a property in Delaware that was on a golf course, but if we can be of any help to you in your search, please feel free to contact me.

We are "wintering" in Chicagoland waiting to put our house on the market in the Spring and then permanently move to Lewes.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,924,644 times
Bethany/Ocean View area is loaded with places to kayak, bike and hike....throw a stone, hit a state park, inland bays, or trails.

Salt Pond in Bethany has a golf course and is right next to Delaware Seashore--Fresh Pond State Park. They also have their own kayak launch. Bear Trap in Ocean View has a golf course and is close to many parks. Bethany Bay has a golf course, kayak launch, and its own trails. I live here year-round, and I am an avid runner, hiker, bicyclist, and kayaker. I always find an adventure in our nearby parks, wildlife refuge, and trails. Heck, they are building even more trails along the Assawoman Canal. There are many runners, kayakers, and bicyclists here. In fact, I live here because of the proximity to great biking trails and top notch state parks along with all the waterways to kayak.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 AM

20 posts, read 152,195 times
Rich and Deb, I've been looking for almost two years and the 3 communities you mention are very, very different. Independence has very little to offer other than indoor and outdoor pools. It's a 55+ community and I'm not sure what average age is there but based on my observations from the 3 or 4 times I've been there I'd guess closer to 65-70. Bayfront is a lovely smaller community that seems to have a tight community feel. Almost all that live there are full timers. But then again, just an outside pool. The private beach/kayak area is out a long walkway that extends over the marshy area. . Get's a little buggy in the summer. The Peninsula has everything but as you said, it's a little pricey. Also, I'd guess about 70% are full timers but that varies based on the area within the community. The single home sections seem to be more full timers. The rest are either second homes or rentals.
If you primary criteria is a tight group of neighbors, I'd say Bayfront.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaJohn View Post
Rich and Deb, I've been looking for almost two years and the 3 communities you mention are very, very different. Independence has very little to offer other than indoor and outdoor pools. It's a 55+ community and I'm not sure what average age is there but based on my observations from the 3 or 4 times I've been there I'd guess closer to 65-70. Bayfront is a lovely smaller community that seems to have a tight community feel. Almost all that live there are full timers. But then again, just an outside pool. The private beach/kayak area is out a long walkway that extends over the marshy area. . Get's a little buggy in the summer. The Peninsula has everything but as you said, it's a little pricey. Also, I'd guess about 70% are full timers but that varies based on the area within the community. The single home sections seem to be more full timers. The rest are either second homes or rentals.
If you primary criteria is a tight group of neighbors, I'd say Bayfront.
Thanks, based on phone conversations I think your assessment is right on. We haven't ruled out the Peninsula but Bayfront has a lot of what we are looking for. Another property that has popped up on our radar is The Senator, did you investigate thus community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware