Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:22 PM

46 posts, read 61,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Lots of crime here as well. And the same type of crime. And it is cold and wet up here in the winter.
I'm not leaving Florida because of crime. Am native Mainer. My account of crime here was in reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,098 times
There is just something very special about Maine. If I had the coin I would make that my home.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 AM

I see you are considering Lewes. Great! - I am trying very hard to make southern Delaware my future. I think you would be better off down there than Philly. I loved Philly when I was younger but it is not my idea of retirement. Maybe if I had stayed there??

Old 01-19-2015, 06:39 AM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
Quote:
I see you are considering Lewes. Great! - I am trying very hard to make southern Delaware my future. I think you would be better off down there than Philly. I loved Philly when I was younger but it is not my idea of retirement. Maybe if I had stayed there??
I am hoping that I am misreading the "I am trying very hard to make S. Delaware my future". If you don't love it now, you probably won't grow into it. One should never try to talk themselves into a place to move to. Do your homework before and and then make an educated decision.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
It looks attractive, but finding a place within the budget will be a challenge. Sometimes opportunities open when you're ready. My son's friend in Philly is doing a little more research on the ground about Wilmington, and Philly's still on the list....so I'm considering that general area. Got my answer on Little Italy--no. It's too bad we can't preserve those wonderful Italian neighborhoods with the smell of Mama's lasagna and the song of spoken Italian in the air!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:56 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily6271 View Post
Thank you all for your input. My son has a friend in Philly, and I plan to get in touch. I just don't seem to find a way to get a handle on Philly. I've researched train costs to dc and nyc out of Wilmington, and they are doable for occasional visits.

I've found OLLI and University of Delaware -- looks excellent.

Latest question: do Italians still live in Little Italy? What do you think of that neighborhood?

Looking in Trolley Square, too, as it's reasonably close to University and parks and recommended on this thread.

I do have a reliable vehicle, but I like walkability and public transportation. On the other hand, if I'm within reach of city life, could be okay, too -- esp if closer to beach.
There are now relatively few people of Italian descent in Little Italy, and most of those seem to be quite aged. The area is home to many businesses and some restaurants, but also has a bit of a crime problem, though it is usually safe. Trolley is a lot more happening and has the advantage of a supermarket and a couple of Walgreens, as well as various restaurants, cafes, and bars. Little Italy is walkable from Trolley -- the two areas are essentially located across from each other on opposite sides of Pennsylvania Ave. Trolley has better places to walk within close proximity.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 AM

I think, if the crime problem doesn't stop me, that trolley square is where I want to be, assuming I can find a place that's right for me and the big poodle. Would I be able to walk to the University of Delaware on Penn Ave (for Olli) without passing thru sketchy neighborhoods? How about Brandywine Park? I see they have an off leash area. Daylight safe, relatively speaking? Finally, ideally, I'd like to be able to bike to both those places and to an off-road trail. Any bicyclists who know the answer?

Anybody know if the university fitness center and library are in same place (penn ave)? When you join Olli, you get a university library card and access to the fitness center. I know I can research this separately, but figured I'd ask while I'm here before the poodle and I go off to do some plein air painting. Lovely day here in Florida, one of many.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
I think you need to visit Wilmington, Delaware to get a grasp of the layout of the City. I remember walking and shopping in Wilmington in the 1940's, 50's 60's, 70's.... and while some improvements have been made to the City, it's got some distance to go to become vibrant again.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 AM

I agree. You have to visit all of these area. All very different. And as I have been corrected, do your homework. But we both do our homework, that is why we are here and on many other sites.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,194,428 times
I have lived in a vacation/retirement area here for over 20 years. I have seen some move here from Florida to be closer to family and end up being very unhappy with our cold boring winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware