Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 PM

46 posts, read 61,776 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm an early retiree seeking a new place to live. Originally, and for most of my life a Mainer, I lived a while in an arts community in central Mexico, but I had too many health issues to stay in Mexico. My son visited Wilmington and suggested I take a close look at that area.

I like the idea of living downtown and being able to do without a car. I'd like to be able to get on a train and travel to Philly or DC to spend a day in the museums. I like the central location with its access also to Amish country and Chadd's Ford.

I am a recreational bicyclist, esp like rails to trails so my dog can come, too. Like to camp and kayak. Don't like driving busy highways, am a back roads, take my time type, but when it comes to culture, libraries, transportation, dining at sidewalk restaurants, I like cities for their energy. I love New Orleans but can't afford it and no beach. I would live in DC for the museums alone but too expensive. Love European cities but can't transport Medicare. Like Baltimore but didn't look bikeable.

On a limited budget. Presently live in a rented house with two bedrooms, a lanai and a yard for $650/month in Florida, and I love my landlord, but it's too quiet and too hard to get to a city for the cultural pursuits. Plus, I'm a liberal. Also, I miss the Atlantic. Max rent $800. Open to apartment, would love a loft, could do a mobile or a house.

I do teach online and am learning to paint. I need to be able to access affordable health care -- maybe a teaching hospital? Big on book clubs. Like art lessons.

Like being around all ages. Get along fine with kids and twenty-somethings but not punks.

So --- what do you think? Is Wilmington a good place for a single retiree seeking the above? Should I look to the beaches? I'd love to find a safe city where I could, one day, do without my car, if necessary.

Will appreciate your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,226,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily6271 View Post

On a limited budget. Presently live in a rented house with two bedrooms, a lanai and a yard for $650/month in Florida, and I love my landlord, but it's too quiet and too hard to get to a city for the cultural pursuits. Plus, I'm a liberal. Also, I miss the Atlantic. Max rent $800. Open to apartment, would love a loft, could do a mobile or a house.
The beach area would be hard to find anything decent near you budget. Off season is very quiet.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM

13,072 posts, read 18,301,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The beach area would be hard to find anything decent near you budget. Off season is very quiet.
Not only this ^^^ but transportation to the Wilmington area is not all that easy in the off season, which means a car is a necessity if you want to get to DC or Philly via Wilmington. There is a bus but it goes from Wilmington to Dover, then you get another one from Dover to Georgetown. During the summer there are beach buses.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,024,397 times
Housing budget is very problematic. Lewes would be wonderful but almost surely undoable on that budget. It is still very small for Wilmingtin but there is a better chance of finding something acceptable in that price range.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:39 PM

Thank you. I'm listening and very much appreciate the input.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,024,397 times
I just re-read and see the rent budget could go up to $800/month. I think above $700 makes things in Wilmington are a lot more doable. Suggest researching properties.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:02 PM

Can you advise on neighborhoods? Can you describe this city in terms of neighborhoods? When my son went to school in Baltimore, he said the safety of a given place varied from block to block. I'm very interested in living in the city if it's safe, and I can connect with the kind of communities I mentioned. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:27 PM

9,801 posts, read 14,375,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily6271 View Post
Can you advise on neighborhoods? Can you describe this city in terms of neighborhoods? When my son went to school in Baltimore, he said the safety of a given place varied from block to block. I'm very interested in living in the city if it's safe, and I can connect with the kind of communities I mentioned. Thanks!
As has been said many times here, there is "Wilmington" and "Wilmington". If you are speaking of center city, the immediate surrounding areas, and walking the streets, that's one thing. If you're speaking of north Wilmington/Brandywine beyond the city limits, that's another.

Have you done any research?

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/12/19/w...me-290232.html

Old 01-16-2015, 06:36 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,536,705 times
What about Philly?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Yes. I had read about this, but I can't tell if this is limited to certain neighborhoods, segments of the city or more widespread. Remember, I lived in Mexico, which is not to say I want to live next door to troublemakers or experience crime myself. It's just to say I don't think anywhere is crime free. I do like, unlike Mexico, being able to call the police and expect a little action.

As to Philly, I know next to nothing. It's one city I visited for a weekend and felt I really didn't get to know. It's rated as walkable, and we walked through some of the tourist places. I seem to remember taking a bus to a wonderful indoor market, and it has a great museum. I would definitely do day trips there, but I never got the sense of neighborhoods where I'd want to live...I always feel like I missed something on that visit, and I wonder about bikeability....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware