Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I agree. You have to visit all of these area. All very different. And as I have been corrected, do your homework. But we both do our homework, that is why we are here and on many other sites.
While social media sites are helpful, you will get umpteen different opinions on an area. Not that I'm moving out of Delaware after 74 years of being here, but If I was looking at a different area, I'd first get a map, then visit. What others find depressing (or wonderful) I might not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 09:21 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,194,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
While social media sites are helpful, you will get umpteen different opinions on an area. Not that I'm moving out of Delaware after 74 years of being here, but If I was looking at a different area, I'd first get a map, then visit. What others find depressing (or wonderful) I might not.
Exactly

Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I have lived in a vacation/retirement area here for over 20 years. I have seen some move here from Florida to be closer to family and end up being very unhappy with our cold boring winters.
I've known some, also, Longnecker, who virtually "left in a lurch" to get back to what they call "civilization". The major complaints are....no public transportationWe need a car for everything, and
no (or limited) whole foods, vegan, or organic, no Trader Joe's and no Wegmans.

I keep emphasizing here.....we are an agricultural state, and are 96 miles long, top to bottom. Width of state is 7+/-miles at the most narrow point, and 47 miles at the widest point. We have farm markets, pigs, chickens and manure. Before you move here, take one full day - drive all the way up the state, then all the way down the state (2 hours). 8 hours should give one plenty of time to stop at some small towns, some fishing villages, the ocean, and then criss-cross east to west. Then, they'll pretty much have the full picture.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I've known some, also, Longnecker, who virtually "left in a lurch" to get back to what they call "civilization". The major complaints are....no public transportationWe need a car for everything, and
no (or limited) whole foods, vegan, or organic, no Trader Joe's and no Wegmans.

I keep emphasizing here.....we are an agricultural state, and are 96 miles long, top to bottom. Width of state is 7+/-miles at the most narrow point, and 47 miles at the widest point. We have farm markets, pigs, chickens and manure..
While we don't have any of those "name markets" we can buy veggies that were picked this morning.Some of us save the egg cartons so when our coworkers chickens start producing they will be able to bring the eggs into work for us.For some the guy that we are buying our scrapple or spare ribs from grew it. It is a great life but you can not understand it by opinions on social media.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,098 times
I got up very early and drove down to Lewes this morning. Also spent time in Milton. And I will be back again and again to figure sit all out. Very nice area but not an easy study.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I got up very early and drove down to Lewes this morning. Also spent time in Milton. And I will be back again and again to figure sit all out. Very nice area but not an easy study.
In order to get feel for the area you need to actually spend some time there, I would suggest that you spend a night at a local hotel/motel on several different occasions as things change drastically during different seasons of the year. Talk to the desk clerk and breakfast attendant.This is a slow time of year and they likely will be happy to talk to someone. Eat lunch in a sitdown restaurant.Talk to the server. Smile and say good morning/hello to others as you pass. You will find many friendly folks would would love to chat. Check out the local supermarkets. Here on Long Neck Harris Teeter has Senior Day every Thursday.
Take time to checkout the area during different seasons.Talk to people that live there. I love the area and certainly recommend it. No area is for everyone. It is really sad to see the folks who did not do their homework and are truly unhappy after moving that it is not like home,

Old 01-21-2015, 08:48 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,098 times
Thanks longnecker. I agree with what you are saying. Woke up last night seeing things a little differently knowing I had much homework to do. Many thanks.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 AM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
Quote:
I disagree that it is not an easy study but it certainly is your right to feel that way. Forgive me for being so direct but DE is largely an agricultural state. Do you want rural or suburban? How near or far from the water do you want to be? Do you want new construction or a resale? Fee simple or ground rent? Townhome or single family home? HOA or no HOA? What level of activity makes you happy?

IF you start whittling it down, it becomes very easy. This is just from my perspective so it may not work for you. For example, I would choose Lewes over Milton because it is that much closer to the water and the state parks but depending upon how important the water is to you that may not be your choice. Granted it is certainly a drivable distance from Milton, but I wanted to be closer. Milton is a great community and I love the feel of it but I can drive there from here for a visit.

I guess what I am saying is that aimlessly driving through places will only confuse you more. Do some more refining of the wants vs. needs before your next visit. For example, If you need clarification in terms of distances to say a state park from a particular place, ask here, we are glad to help. It is also important to recognize that a place that is 5 miles away in the winter can essentially be 20 in terms of time during the summer.

Just my opinion, I think if you really ask yourself some of the questions I offered among others, you will find your choice is much easier than you think. We are all here for you.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
OLLI in Wilmington occupies one of the old DuPont family estates with some addition to the original mansion. UD of course has its main campus in Newark, and as far as I know all library and fitness facilities are in Newark, though I could be wrong about that.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 PM

7 posts, read 15,906 times
Downtown Wilmington is a great - definitely walking material, lots going on. But it won't be too easy to find a great place within your budget (I just looked and there is one at 17 Market St #B for 775 p, 650 sqft). If you live further out, there are city buses, but I would recommend that you check the routes. But other than that, Wilmington is a great place to live! Traffic is never too bad, and you'll soon discover the routes that avoid the rush hour congestions too. Let me know if you decide to move here, I would love to assist in finding the right place! Gigifisher.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware