Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:02 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac51 View Post
I moved from Dover, Delaware to Denver. There is little to no humidity out here in Denver, and I certainly don't miss the bugs. Don't miss the Delaware humidity one bit. Its no fun.
Stopped in Colorado during a cross country trip many years ago, loved it immediately(being a big John Denver fan, I figured I would). If it wasn't Delaware for retirement, it may have been Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:20 PM

First, I am glad you all enjoy the strawberry salad. We have never served it to anyone who did not like it.
Second, as of last Thurs, we are here to STAY!!! Applause please. It is such a relief not having to think about another trip back to NY. I know I will miss some of my friends, but not the place itself.

I think I will like it here.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:26 PM

374 posts, read 517,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
First, I am glad you all enjoy the strawberry salad. We have never served it to anyone who did not like it.
Second, as of last Thurs, we are here to STAY!!! Applause please. It is such a relief not having to think about another trip back to NY. I know I will miss some of my friends, but not the place itself.

I think I will like it here.
Welcome full-time, Joe!

If you ever want to share a conversation about why the Pirates/Steelers/Penguins are so much better than any of those NY teams, drop me a line and we can talk it over at the beach!

Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Joe, the fresh air here must be getting to you. Do you remember the snow storms in 2011 and 2012 and you want to move to Co.? It is a great place to visit but I like De. a lot better and I think we are pretty much on par with the humidity here.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Welcome full-time, Joe!

If you ever want to share a conversation about why the Pirates/Steelers/Penguins are so much better than any of those NY teams, drop me a line and we can talk it over at the beach!

Hey, hey as a Met/Jet/Islander fan I am offended by your comment, but I meet you at the beach anyway.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Joe, the fresh air here must be getting to you. Do you remember the snow storms in 2011 and 2012 and you want to move to Co.? It is a great place to visit but I like De. a lot better and I think we are pretty much on par with the humidity here.
Well, I wanted to in 1983! Snow was still fun back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Welcome full-time, Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Hey, hey as a Met/Jet/Islander fan I am offended by your comment, but I meet you at the beach anyway.
I knew it wasn't directed at the Yankees/Giants/Rangers!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 PM

374 posts, read 517,694 times
Default Rehoboth Beach Jazz Festival

Just continue to find new things to love about our move to Delaware.

Was amazed at the nationally famous artists who made their way to the recent Jazz Festival. Although I was only able to make it to one performance (Fourplay at the Cape Henlopen High School), the variety and quality of the acts all over the beach area was fantastic.

Realize that the primary reason for these activities is to bring in folks from the hinterlands during the off-season to keep our local retailers going strong. All for that, but with so many good performances, it's a great opportunity for anyone who lives here and appreciates world-class smooth jazz performances.

Can't wait for next year's Festival!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:15 AM

5 posts, read 4,226 times
NY Joe, Hi, I am Long Island Karen, I see you are in Harrington, Hubby and I are closing on our home in Harrington on 7-11-2016, glad to see your loving it. So, do you miss NY? Or, no regrets? I am excited about our move, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little nervous too. Big move! Maybe we will be neighbors!

Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 AM

Hi Karen,former LI'er, here in Rehoboth 3.5 years. In case you didn't see this I did a copy and paste. Maybe my response will help calm your fears.

Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
I will certainly look forward to that N2U ! Coming from LI you definitely know snow! Here in upstate NY we get hammered pretty bad as well. When I was younger, it didn't bother me as much but as I get older I have to say I've had enough. So yes, I will definitely look forward to the change.

Tell me, as a NY'er how did you find the change ? What were some of the more challenging adjustments you made from LI to Rehoboth?

There were few. We missed People, Pizza and Bagels.

Initially, I guess we shocked that for an agricultural state we were paying more for produce here than on L.I. The only 2 things that are more expensive here, are produce and our water.

We knew that there were fewer stores and malls so that was fine with us. But I will admit to an occasional frustrating moment when I had to drive to Dover to buy curtains, after being told I could go to Walmart, Kmart Lowes or Home Depot. Not what I was used to at all.

Our first trip home seemed oh so long on the roads, which are not at all like the Thruway or the Long Island Expressway. Even though we had done it 20 times before relocating it did seem extra long then. It all comes down to perspective as friend here said. You're retired, what's your hurry, besides, would your trade our taxes for yours for the roads you miss. He was right.

We still miss the people and the pizza and the bagels. But, when the people we miss come for a visit, they come with our favorite pizza in the box with ice blocks and a dozen bagels. When ever we head north we scoop up the same. We are truly Delawareans now (or as close as one can get as a non native). We love this area and embrace all it has to offer us. We really never looked back and never regretted our decision.

As for the snow....... We were predicted to be getting a big snow fall (for here) and decided that a snow blower was better for our overall health and that of a dear neighbor who would plow if it snowed. So off we went to Home Depot and scooped up the very last Toro. Well, Henneypenney the sky never fell and I have a brand spanking new snow blower in my garage now.!!!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,226 times
Nuts2u, thanks so much for your reply! The tax comment is probably our biggest draw to De., however after visiting the area several times, I really do like it very much. We live on the eastern end of L.I. ( North Fork) still lots of farm stands ( and vineyards, famous now for award winning wines) so I love the rural thing. The area we are moving to reminds me a lot of where we live, minus the horrendous traffic, and the ridiculous taxes. I think we will be very happy there, my husband can't wait, I'm a bit more skeptical because i am a more social person than him, and missing "my peeps" is going to be rough! Although everyone we have encountered in our visits have been very friendly. Although we close on our home on 7-11, we won't be full time for a while yet. My hubby has had several back surgeries and had to retire a bit before he wanted to, and unfortunately, I have 4 more years with the county before I would get full pension, so I'm cutting my pension in 1/2 by leaving early, but some things are more important than others! I am going to stay and continue working till our house sells (which we hope is real fast) .... But we will be back and forth plenty in the meantime!! Look forward to further chats!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware