Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 AM

405 posts, read 1,375,625 times

Advertisements

Hi Honeycrisp, we bought a place and we get the keys next Wednesday Woo Hoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM

Hi Elizamary, I'm doing great, we are hanging out at a KOA in PA until we can get in to house we bought next Wednesday. Yes the stress is over!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 AM

81 posts, read 492,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Hi Honeycrisp, we bought a place and we get the keys next Wednesday Woo Hoo!
Quote:
Hi Elizamary, I'm doing great, we are hanging out at a KOA in PA until we can get in to house we bought next Wednesday. Yes the stress is over!
Do you currently live in DE or are you moving to?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 AM

Ok here is my reason for moving to Delaware. People think I'm insane because I moved from southern Calif, but nearly 10 years was enough for us and wanted to get out.

1. I have all my family up and down the east coast
2. Low property taxes,compared to PA, NY, NJ which are insane
3. No sales tax
4. We lived in a city the same size as Middletown, according to Sperlings Best Places to live there are 10,272 people as of 2007. Where I lived in Mission Viejo, there are over 90,000.
5. Traffic is the worse in the country where I lived
6. People...most are superficial, they are way to concerned about their looks, what they drive, and where they live. In Delaware they are real people.
7. For me the weather was to hot.
8. People were to busy for each other in Calif, people actually strike up conversations here.
9. I love the open space and farm land.
10. You don't know your neighbors in CA.
11. The weather seems to be milder than PA and NY, not as much snow.
12. Here is one of the main reasons, it is near everything, you can easily get to NY, NJ, MD, PA etc. Philly airport is near by you can fly out to anywhere.
We don't plan to sit in Middletown we plan to go out an explore the east coast and DE is our homebase. But we do plan on making some good friends that will keep us in town more often than not.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,426,651 times
The uncertainty is over, Im very happy for you. Having never been to CA, it's not on my 'short' list, LOL, am not even tempted (although Im sure it's a great place to visit). Anyway, hope your moving day goes smoothly, w/o a hitch. I don't mind driving here and there (which we all do at times) but am trying reduce some of it w/ the high cost of gas (cost over $50 to fill up the car last week and gas will probably keep going up), too bad golf carts and bikes arent an option here, LOL! Anyway, glad you found a place to hang your hat, Im sure you won't miss the KOA!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,365 times
Yippee, Laural... wondered how the house hunting was progressing! Would offer to help you lift and tote, but (shucks), I'm sure I have appointments next Wednesday! Besides, I still have plenty of my own chores backing up right now! Will keep you all in mind next week, and hope for good weather!

dsdumpling... our family (or at least part of it) are transplants to DE as well. As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, I and our younger 2 children moved to central DE from central NC for, believe it or not, the public schools. Our 13 yr old middle schooler has autism, and the DAP is an excellent program, in my opinion. The downside of this move was leaving our older 2 kids back in NC; one in college, the other still in high school. But THAT was a family sacrifice that everyone had a vote in, so to speak.

My in-laws, die hard New Yorkers on Long Island, still can't figure out why we came to DE. But then again, looking at the bigger picture, just about everything we want and need for our little family is right here. Hubby and I (and some of the kids, depending on when, and where) have lived in several states on the east coast... NY, VA, NC and CT.

Like elizamary, we too researched SEVERAL states prior to deciding on DE... mainly because of autism. City Data was one forum I frequented, along with several parent forums discussing education. All in all, we are very happy we chose DE to try. There are very few things we would change about where we landed (Camden Wyoming area); but only small things that would be good for all locals, not just us or our unique family situation. Do we want tons more shopping centers? Heck no! Personally, I enjoy the drives (in spite of the gas prices) to explore DE, shop a bit (I am VERY frugal), etc.

I do know, in my old age, one can feel trapped in an area no matter where you live. The kids and I were in NC for almost 15 years; and I never felt so trapped in a situation in my life! We rolled some very big dice in choosing DE; and so far, life has never been better. We work hard, live nicely, but try to respect others and their God given right to be different. What a boring world this would be if everyone wanted the same thing from life!

Being a military brat myself, I have always tried to look at life as an adventure... one to dread or to embrace as each individual chooses. I choose to embrace every day of my life.

Mary

Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Honeycrisp, you are right CA is a great place to visit, and we did actually love living there the first couple of years, we had a season pass to Disneyland and went every weekend, boy was that fun.

Gas prices are insane! Realistic or not I wish someone would do something!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM

Hi Mary,

I wrote you this big long post in Cafe De, but computer malfunctioned and lost it all! So I think the last time I chatted with you I was still looking for a house. Well we finally found one 60+ houses later to the relief of my real estate agent. LOL It's a lot different from the first house we chose. But I think we will be happy with it. It's in Middletown off of Main st. in a development called Dove Run. It has 1/3 of an acre but no dog restrictions woo hoo!!! The sellers even let us try our dogs out in the backyard. LOL They really wanted to sell the house.

I agree with your statement that life is an adventure, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdumpling View Post
Do you currently live in DE or are you moving to?

DSdumpling, we drove across country from CA in our RV, we were staying at Lums Pond campground, then moved up to PA and we are staying at a KOA still in our RV. We've been in our RV since beginning of March, we did fly out the end of Feb thought we bought a home but it fell thru on the sellers side, so we drove out here and have been looking ever since. Homes have been very slow to come on the market, I suspect people are only putting their houses on the market if they have to move due to relocation or if they are over their heads. But we finally found a home, have a 2 week escrow, and can move in next Wed.

Being from the west coast (well l lived on the west coast most of my life born NYC), EVERYTHING looks different to me, houses, buildings, landscaping, people, clothes, food, weather, clouds, bugs, traffic lights, so if your driving with me, you'll hear me say every few minutes WOW look at that, Wow look at that. Wow look at that

Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Quote:
Hi Mary,

I wrote you this big long post in Cafe De, but computer malfunctioned and lost it all! So I think the last time I chatted with you I was still looking for a house. Well we finally found one 60+ houses later to the relief of my real estate agent. LOL It's a lot different from the first house we chose. But I think we will be happy with it. It's in Middletown off of Main st. in a development called Dove Run. It has 1/3 of an acre but no dog restrictions woo hoo!!! The sellers even let us try our dogs out in the backyard. LOL They really wanted to sell the house.

I agree with your statement that life is an adventure, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Laurel.......I'm so happy for you I know it's been tough going back and forth. So glad you found just what you want.
Middletown is not that far. Maybe you can meet us for lunch one day. I know I would love to meet you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware