Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:08 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,625 times

Advertisements

Darn I went to the airport and they wouldn't let me on cause I had to much contraband, what's your excuse elizamary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:31 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Darn I went to the airport and they wouldn't let me on cause I had to much contraband, what's your excuse elizamary?
My grand daughter kidnapped me

Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdumpling View Post
Most of us locals aren't that tolerant with a few exceptions. I can tell a transplant just by how they talk. Y'all need to tone down that New Yark accent
I can do better than that, dumpling!
A quick glance in the rear view mirror, on Route 13, reveals a whole bunch of them diving, switching lanes, tail gating, and speeding.

Down your way, I previously enjoyed Grotto's on Rt. 26. Now, that's ruined for me. If there's a parking lot full of out-of-state tags, I order take out and eat in my car. Generally speaking, the rudeness many bring with them from elsewhere is more than I can tolerate. I've been here 67 years, and Delaware is steadily changing for the worst. I think it's called "progress".

Old 04-27-2008, 06:16 AM

81 posts, read 492,182 times
You know Delly, I used to commute to Smyrna to work (thank God I'm retired from that) and absolutely refused to work on Friday's just for that reason. I've gotten into the habit that when I drive around here on weekends I get in the right lane and drive the speed limit. If they don't like how I'm driving, pass me...I ain't movin'!!

Yeah, Grotto's in Bethany I only enjoy in the off season. I won't even go downtown Rehoboth in the summer. I'll make it over to the outlets more because I've got back roads in my favor...you've got to avoid Rt. 24 at all cost!

Kinda like when I lived in Camden, worked at HQ's in Dover and it was race weekend...good grief, now that was rough. I worked in the Comm. Center and we worked shift work. Try getting on 13 at 6:30 pm on Sunday. Whew!!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdumpling View Post
You know Delly, I used to commute to Smyrna to work (thank God I'm retired from that) and absolutely refused to work on Friday's just for that reason. I've gotten into the habit that when I drive around here on weekends I get in the right lane and drive the speed limit. If they don't like how I'm driving, pass me...I ain't movin'!!

Yeah, Grotto's in Bethany I only enjoy in the off season. I won't even go downtown Rehoboth in the summer. I'll make it over to the outlets more because I've got back roads in my favor...you've got to avoid Rt. 24 at all cost!

Kinda like when I lived in Camden, worked at HQ's in Dover and it was race weekend...good grief, now that was rough. I worked in the Comm. Center and we worked shift work. Try getting on 13 at 6:30 pm on Sunday. Whew!!
We have a lot in common, and are suffering the pains of the "changing Delaware". Actually, I have a family member you probably knew of, where you last worked.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Generally speaking, the rudeness many bring with them from elsewhere is more than I can tolerate. I've been here 67 years, and Delaware is steadily changing for the worst. I think it's called "progress".
Gee, as a potential transplant, maybe I can't be as happy here as I thought I might be. I hate to say this, but if your view is similar to that of other native Delawareans, maybe I'm doomed before I start.

I believe that I can blend in anywhere and be a good neighbor and good citizen, but if I've already been pre-judged, that could pose a serious problem. If I move at around age 60, we're talking about 20, 25, maybe 30 years in my new state. That could be a hard life if I'm not wanted.

Food for thought.

Charley

Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM

271 posts, read 995,830 times
Charley, I've read enough of your posts to recognize a winning personality when I see one. I've been living in Delaware for 30+ years, long enough, almost, to be considered a native , so speaking as a long time Delawarean, I don't think you'll have any trouble at all.

We've never had any negatives tossed in our direction by the truly native born, though I have to say that I've known many more transplants than natives over the years. Still, now that I think of it, one of the nicest families, and we knew three generations of them, were natives.

Funny, but after a certain number of years I found myself looking at the license plates in Rehoboth Beach, noting numerous New Jerseyans and Marylanders, and growling (to myself), "Go use your own beaches!" Same growls directed (quietly) at Virginians.

Delly, in case you read this, this mixed-breed has to tell you that when I seek quiet, lovely rides on the back roads of Delaware, the people who come roaring up behind me, often in their pickups, and practically push me off the road are the good ol' locals!

Best to all of you, native born, transplanted long ago, newcomers, and future Delawareans!

Annie

Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Gee, as a potential transplant, maybe I can't be as happy here as I thought I might be. I hate to say this, but if your view is similar to that of other native Delawareans, maybe I'm doomed before I start.

I believe that I can blend in anywhere and be a good neighbor and good citizen, but if I've already been pre-judged, that could pose a serious problem. If I move at around age 60, we're talking about 20, 25, maybe 30 years in my new state. That could be a hard life if I'm not wanted.
Food for thought.
Charley
Don't take it personally, Charley. I've met you and you are definitely not a true sampling from your state. It is a given fact, that Delaware is not the same. But, no state is the same as it was, and we can't go back. I do believe, Delaware is headed down the path to becoming not-as-friendly as it once was. There are more transplants than locals, and I've seen the steady progression over the years. Actually, newcomers are not ostracized, treated rudely, or looked down upon (that I know of). Small gatherings, with locals attending only, is where I hear the gripes...Kind of like when the Amish, talked about we English natives! I'd venture to say that in 5-10 years, Delaware may be similar to every other surrounding state, and may not be as warm and friendly as we once were.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:20 AM

81 posts, read 492,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
We have a lot in common, and are suffering the pains of the "changing Delaware". Actually, I have a family member you probably knew of, where you last worked.
DM me who, I'm nosey as heck.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:44 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post

Food for thought.

Charley
Hi Charley,
From some of the posts it seems that true delawarians are not tolerant of out of staters. But the good new is, the transplants are out numbering the born delawarians. Most in my community are from out of state and we have people with a new yawk accent.
I have a philly accent and have had no problem. Only one man that lives on lexington mill road in a home he owns not in a community. I have a feeling he has been here a while. Boy was he nasty. Tell you about it sometime. But so far, he has been the only one.
Delaware has been a friendly state and we are loving it. you will too charley.
BTW.........Love the New yawk accent. one of my best friends lives in new york on Long Island. I remember her saying chawklet for chocolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware