Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:41 PM

9,728 posts, read 14,273,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdetroit View Post
Very helpful thanks! I would be working in Dover (Kent cty) so I guess I am looking for something close to this....Delaware Bay sounds nice, is it a city? What are the names of the different town so I can start looking at real estate?
Kent County.....Dover is the Capital, and the biggest downstate city (Kent and Sussex Counties). Google it though, and you'll see it's not that big Then try, Smyrna, Felton, Harrington....all smaller towns. Magnolia is almost a little crossroads, with a restaurant in town, firehouse, post office, and mostly old houses. Outside of Magnolia is very built up with newer subdivisions and some manufactured housing. Magnolia, along with Pickering Beach, Port Mahon, and Little Creek are in the flight path, meaning Dover Air Force Base planes fly over that area. Some love it, some can't stand it. The Delaware Bay is not a city, steph. That is the stretch of water which runs along Delaware's easterly boundary. Along the Delaware Bay are quaint little fishing villages. Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge is a great place to visit, and it's along Route 9, which runs north-south through Leipsic and Little Creek. Milford is a nice city, and it is split. The northern half is in Kent County, and southern half is in Sussex County. Milford is a quick jaunt to the beach areas, both the ocean and bay, and that location is really gaining in popularity because of that. But, no matter where you move in Kent County, you're no more than 30 minutes from the water.....some kind of water, either the Bay, where people fish, or the ocean for swimming. When in Dover, you're only about 10-15 minutes from the Bay and those little fishing villages. Some are Pickering Beach, Kits Hummock, Port Mahon, North Bowers, South Bowers, and others. There are very nice nature areas along Route 9. Google Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, and Milton, also. They are in Sussex County, but as said....Delaware is not very long, and Milton is only about a 30 minute drive north to Dover. For a small state, we have a lot to offer.

Now is the time to buy, as you know, steph. The last sale in Wild Quail (May 2008) was at $355,000 (as per Trend Multi List). That subdivision is built around a golf course, and most are larger homes. New construction is also a choice. Builders are offering many incentives.

Last edited by rdlr; 06-29-2008 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 PM

15 posts, read 40,131 times
Very good. Really appreciate this. Super Helpful!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,790 times
Hi stephdetroit!

My dad's from Cincinnati... I still have lots of relatives in that area! As far as moving to Dover area, with children, I would recommend the Caesar Rodney school district. We targeted that district when we moved here last year, and have been quite happy with the schools.

As far as housing budget, you should have plenty to choose from at the cap you mentioned. Very nice neighborhoods, or a wonderful home on a private lot.

If I can be more help, let me know. Good luck!

Mary

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,790 times
From what I recall about housing costs in the greater Cincinnati area, you will likely get a lot more home and land for your money here in DE. AND, your property taxes will be less expensive as well.

As I mentioned in my other post, I have a lot of relatives in the Cincinnati area... I was actually born about 40 miles s/e in Brown County. I'm sure the economy has hit Ohio as well, but I was really surprised a few years ago when I found out what prices were in that area.

Do you have a rough target date for moving? And is it a firm situation as far as the job opportunity?

Mary

Old 06-30-2008, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 126,127 times
I dont mean to step on any toes here but no where in Dover are you "30 minutes to the ocean for swimming". The closest ocean to Dover would be Cape Henlopen, not that you can't swim in the Delaware Bay but personally I would not. Dover to Cape Henlopen in the summer 45 minutes @ best unless you are driving like a crazy person.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:07 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHinDE View Post
I dont mean to step on any toes here but no where in Dover are you "30 minutes to the ocean for swimming". The closest ocean to Dover would be Cape Henlopen, not that you can't swim in the Delaware Bay but personally I would not. Dover to Cape Henlopen in the summer 45 minutes @ best unless you are driving like a crazy person.

Hum,, I thought that was the ocean at Cape Henelopen and not the bay?
Anyway, we live in Magnolia which is 15 mins or so south of Dover. On a good day it takes about 30 to 35 mins to get to the Cape.

Anyone care to enlighten us!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 PM

392 posts, read 991,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hum,, I thought that was the ocean at Cape Henelopen and not the bay?
Anyway, we live in Magnolia which is 15 mins or so south of Dover. On a good day it takes about 30 to 35 mins to get to the Cape.

Anyone care to enlighten us!
Only takes me 35-40 minutes to Cape Henlopen (I drive slower ) Yes Cape Henlopen is the Atlantic Ocean as far as I know too elizamary.
CJHin......What's wrong with the Bay? Slaughter Beach? Bower's Beach? I have not been in the water there yet but they look like pretty good beaches if one does not want to travel to Cape H in the summer.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
Only takes me 35-40 minutes to Cape Henlopen (I drive slower ) Yes Cape Henlopen is the Atlantic Ocean as far as I know too elizamary.
CJHin......What's wrong with the Bay? Slaughter Beach? Bower's Beach? I have not been in the water there yet but they look like pretty good beaches if one does not want to travel to Cape H in the summer.
Hi Carol........Thanks and I thought it was the ocean at CH. Nice beach. We plan to ride down tomorrow before the crowd arrives. Just for a few hours. The ocean fascinates me.

I have visited Bowers Beach a few times and really didnt' care for it. It was loaded with dead horseshoe crabs each time I was there. Bowers is only 10 mins from my home and I thought it would be great to have a beach close to walk on but the 3 times I went, I was disappointed.
Now I heard other people say they loved it. So I guess it's just another preference like pineapples and coconuts. LOL

Old 07-02-2008, 12:00 PM

392 posts, read 991,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post

Now I heard other people say they loved it. So I guess it's just another preference like pineapples and coconuts. LOL
LOLOLOLOL..........that is soooooo funny...

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
LOLOLOLOL..........that is soooooo funny...
Glad your enjoying the exchange Carole cuz I know I am.
Laugh long and hard and live longer.........my motto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware