Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 43,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
To the mod that said he/she thought Delaware was more urban then the southern states listed which I believe was Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina..

At last census, Delaware had a population of like 800k..

That would mean that the metro areas of Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham would ALL have a population greater then that of the entire state of Delaware. I don't see how it could be more urban but I could be wrong, I've never been there.
Pop. Density - Delaware = 442.6 per square mile, 6th in the nation
North Carolina = 165.2 per square mile
Georgia = 141.4 per square mile
Tennessee = 138.0 per square mile

Wilmington, DE = 6,698.1 per square mile
Newark, DE = 3,198.6 per square mile
Nashville, TN = 1,233.8 per square mile
Memphis, TN = 2,327.4 per square mile
Atlanta, GA = 1,962.9 per square mile
Charlotte, NC = 2,515.7 per square mile
Raleigh, NC = 3,288.4 per square mile
Durham, NC = 2,295.5 per square mile

Hmm... looks like quite a bit more "urban" if you're going by population stats alone.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:28 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
That's utterly misleading, however. The City of Wilmington has a population of less than 70,000. It is much bigger when its suburbs are figured in, but that population density figure is no doubt based on the tiny area within the legal city limits, much of it populated by a squeezed together underclass living in tenements. It just doesn't represent the true picture. Most of New Castle County is sprawling suburbia, whereas nothing in Kent and Sussex (including the state capital, Dover) even constitutes a proper city.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 43,417 times
My point was exactly that. His post stating populations and their correlation to the urbanity of an entire state is baseless.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
The Union state slaves of DE, MD, MO and KY were the last to be freed. Embrace the diversity of DE folks. It's not PA and it's not VA; it's a touch of both and all Delaware. And I for one love it all.
If you asked me DE is more "Northeast" than even PA. I mean besides SE Penn., Pennsylvania looks more like Ohio or West Virginia (i.e. "Rust Belt") than NY, NJ, DE, MD, or CT. The B'more Ravens/Steelers rivalry is probably the best in the AFC, and I've heard Raven's fans refer to Pitt. as "hicktown."

Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 AM

Well, western PA might arguably be associated with the "old Northwest", i.e. the Northwest Territories that the United States aquired in the Treaty of Paris at the conclusion of the Revolution. Today we consider that region to be the oldest and easternmost part of the Midwest - the American "heartland". I'm not aware that anyone considers OH or any part of PA to be "southern". But the point is well taken that all of DE is Mid-Atlantic, whereas PA really spans more regions, including a geographic and cultural Appalachian region.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 43,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Does Delaware share anything in common with Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc? I know it was a slave state, but then again, it doesn't seem much different than New Jersey.

Is it a mix of both? Is New Castle the Northeast, and the two southern counties the Soutttth like Tezas?
Actually, all of Delaware has become like Texas. You need to learn Spanish and avoid the Federales.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:12 AM

14 posts, read 67,387 times
Delaware is nothing like the Northeast or New England for that matter. As far as learning Spanish that is everywhere now not just Delaware.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 AM

This depends on how you define "Northeast". Does it just mean New England and New York? I think of it as more inclusive, encompassing the Atlantic seaboard all the way down to Washington, D.C. However, I would be happy if we could just agree that DE is a Mid-Atlantic state with culture that, overall, is neither distinctly Northern nor identifiably Southern. These days, the Upper South pretty much ends with Virginia. New Jersey and Pennsylvania are more identifiably part of the North. DE and MD are quintessentially Mid-Atlantic "border" states (MD is historically significantly more Southern than DE, however, and at one time Baltimore was very much thought of as a Southern city).

Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 AM

14 posts, read 67,387 times
I consider the northeast lower end point at NJ, going upward to ME. I certainly don't consider Delaware to be in the Northeast and I agree with you it is a Mid Atlantic state.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
(MD is historically significantly more Southern than DE, however, and at one time Baltimore was very much thought of as a Southern city).
How is MD more "Southern" than DE? First of all, neither states are Southern (which I thought was the concensus), and the only part of MD considered "Southern" are a few parts of the Eastern Shore, which the entire state of Delaware is located on.

Baltimore is definitely not Soutern. It is historically a heavily industrial/blue collar town. The famous thick "Balmerese" (or whatever it's called) accent, is almost the same as Philly's accent. Also, we know what a hoagie is and it's pronounced "wudder." It looks nothing like Richmond, Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham etc. I think of it as a little Philadelphia, and a big Newark (NJ), for good and bad. I went to Charlotte last summer and downtown, approximately 90% of the voices I overheard were laced with thick Southern drawls. It was really surprising and interesting to go into Charlotte, and not out in the sticks and hear such a heavy accent.

I will concede though that before the Civil War, especially after the Missouri Compromise, MD and DE were part of the South, but I think if you look at Maryland now and for the last 100 years we definitely are not part of the South. My family is from Hartford and NYC, and I grew up in MD so I can spot the difference.

Now the definition of Mid-Atlantic is way more arbitrary than the Northeast or South, and I've probably heard numerous definitions. The only constant I think is that MD, DE, and DC are always included. The Mid-Atlantic Credit Union are located near where I live. Here's how I define the Mid-Atlantic: PA, NJ, DE, WV, DC, and MD. In other words the Northeat states south of New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware