Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 AM

560 posts, read 915,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBee View Post
I have found a lot at NP that backs up to Mckee Rd., no one will ever build behind me and I have good privacy but I have traffic on the road, although minimal, and a train track behind that. In addition this lot is fronted by a small landscaped area and across from that is the back of the model homes probably 100 yards away. Again privacy, the road and train is a trade off. ...

It's wonderful that you have found a lot that suits you and your wife. We went through that as well. The lot we chose has a huge cornfield behind our backyard. We will have neighbors on either side (in November) and across the street in the near future, but no one can build behind us...at least not in our lifetime. Yes, there will be dust a couple of times during plowing and harvest but, as you said, there are always trade-offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 AM

45 posts, read 96,810 times
Goin2DE, good luck on your move and with your new home. I am jealous! I am just starting the process of cleaning out 30 years of crap and am not looking forward to it!!! I know it will all be worth the effort, but it seems monumental at this point, one day at a time right!!
Charley, I like the bocce ball competition idea and I except the challenge!! Now all I have to do is learn how to play bocce ball!! I really look forward to the day when I can meet the people who I have communicated with on this site. The information and moral support that I have gotten hear is invaluable. Thanks everyone and yes it looks like NP for me.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Absolutely right. I look at Tom's decision this way. Assuming we both are able follow the paths we are currently traveling, when Champions Club is ready to challenge Nobles Pond at bocce, we'll be able to contact Tom in the same way we'll be contacting you, Goin2DE when it's time to challenge Roesville. I haven't forgotten that conversation.

I see these conversations as the seedlings for beautiful friendships as we all settle in.

Good luck this week, Goin2DE
I still haven't had the chance to brush up on my Bocce technique or rules...we don't even have a Bocce court yet.

Thanks Charley for the "good luck". I hate the thought of loading boxes, stuffing the van and the truck and the dogs, having movers touch our personal stuff...but the thought of moving into a brand new house is helping to evenly balance the emotions. WooHoo it'll be fun (right?)

Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBee View Post
I am just starting the process of cleaning out 30 years of crap and am not looking forward to it!!!
I felt the same way when I started, and I had just added all the stuff from my parents home as I closed it down. It was quite a grind. But between donating some items, giving some away on Freecycle, giving some to friends, etc, it became a positive thing. Now, each time we get rid of another item, we consider it being one step closer to Delaware!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 AM

16 posts, read 28,479 times
The challenge of ridding ourselves of all the "stuff" we have accumulated over the past many years can be daunting...I too had the task of dealing with passed relatives belongings and soon I realized I just had no more room for it all...so I started the purging a few years ago...not even thinking about moving at the time...and I am so glad that I did...but I still have a long way to go...my plan for this fall is to start with each closet...I figure when I am ready to put the house on the market, a neat and organized closet will be a plus in the process...
Good Luck TomBee with your purging...and Congrats Goin'2DE on your November move...

Old 10-10-2010, 10:59 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Buyer's agents anyone??? It looks like some of you have used buyer's agents in your search for the perfect place to retire. How helpful have they been and when are they interested in representing you?

The reason I ask is because it looks like realtors are interested in representing you if you plan to buy within the next 6 months to a year - but, I am not sure how they would feel about spending time with someone who can't retire for another 3 years.

New communities are easy enough for you to visit a model and tour it, but, I am also interested in condos which are already completed and would only have resales available. There are 5 or 6 condos in the Lewes area I would like to see to rule them in or out as possible communities to consider. I would like to enlist the help of a buyer's agent to view some resales presently available - just to see what units look like. I figure a buyer's agent would be familiar with these communities, who was the builder, history of the condo fees etc.. It also seems like unless you are ready to sign on the dotted line to buy a place, you don't get a chance to see the financials of the HOA/Condo association of the community. I thought perhaps a buyer's agent might have access to the financial condition of various condo associations. This would give me a feel for the financial stability of various communities. (I was quite surprised to find one community HOA on the top 100 list of who had not paid their DE taxes in 2009.)

I would like to visit DE next spring and enlist a buyers agent to see units in 5 or 6 condo communities - I am just not sure if a realtor wants to take time to show me various communities if they know I am still 3 years away from making a purchase. So, do you consider a buyer's agent at the beginning of your search or only when it is within 12 months of making a move?

Also, it seems most of you are only considering buying "new" construction and the 5 or 6 years of buildout that comes along with new construction. Prior to 2008 there must have been some 55+ communities that had been built - have you found any resales in these communities? I would really like to see what a 55+ community looks like 10 years later. Does anyone know of any in DE which were completed in the 2000 to 2007 time frame and what they look like today?

Having bought a new home in a new community 30 years ago I remember the excitement of everything being new and the community spirit of the new home owners. But, 10 years later when the builder had moved on and only resales were available the feel was very different. I would really like to visit a 55+ community in DE which is 10+ years old to get a feel for what it looks like after the builder has packed up and moved on.

Mary2014

Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Just a brief note to let ya'll know that I will be logging off later this evening as we move to our new home in DE. Don't know just yet how long it will be until I return, but I will be back soon with all the details.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 AM

45 posts, read 96,810 times
Goin2DE, good luck with the move, I hope all goes smoothly! With any luck, and a lot of hard work, I will be there someday next year. Can't wait to here the details of your move. Moving into a new home has to be exciting!! Have a safe trip and we will talk again after you are settled in.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 28,479 times
Lots of Luck Goin2DE!!! Hope everything goes well and you are settled in and happy as soon as possible!!! Will be watching to see you post again and hear all about your new place!!! Nancy

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM

75 posts, read 139,953 times
Best of luck on your move Goin’2DE, you must be very excited. I hope it all goes smoothly and without a hitch. Soon you’ll be waking up in your new home…I could only imagine what that’ll be like. Would like to hear how the move went and any tips you might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware