Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

Thank you Goin'2DE....

If you don't have a mortgage, I suspect you could live comfortably on less than $2,000/month.

That's reasonable though I always wonder about say 'incidentals' that I see discussed here, i.e. water, electric, gas (about 4 bucks here in ye old NY!) and HOA fees for example. You know i'm conditioned to the experience that I think everybody knows about and that's 'things' always go up'. Like many here, I'm a big stickler for research on costs. Now with HOA fees in those communities do prices rise every year and is their a limit? Pardon if this has been discussed before. If it has then I'll go to the thread if there is one specifically on it. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:49 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Back to square one - If you were shopping for a new home, you will pay more for a home in a 55+ community (not counting HOA fees) than you would in an all-age subdivision, or scattered housing located along country roads, or in small towns. That is because developers mostly purchase farm land at premium prices if that land is located within the growth zones of counties (having all public utilities, close proximity, etc). They offer smaller homes, and choices of 4-5 models, with varying degrees of upgrades, but less costly to build. Throw in a built in social network and clubhouse, which also attracts newcomers. Out-of-staters typically sell their homes for more, where they come from, as compared to what a similar house would cost in Delaware. It's no secret that developers pitch to out-of-staters in this retirement community market. I really don't know any locals/natives who live in those communities. What's high priced to us, is cheap to out-of-staters. It's supply and demand.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 AM

388 posts, read 998,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I really don't know any locals/natives who live in those communities.
rdlr - here at Champions' Club I can think of 5 couples off the top of my head that are natives of DE. They seem happy here and several I know have commented they wished they had moved to a 55+ community sooner. I think the new posters should take the time - and it will be considerable! - to read the entire thread of the 55+ communities. It goes back several years but you will see the time, research, effort, and passion of those who have started at square one and are now in DE. You will find mountains of information here - some negative, most positive, but all valuable if you live in another state. For us it was a no-brainer. We did not wish to do yard work anymore, we liked the idea of instant friends, and we discovered a slower and more economical way of life. But again, I urge people just starting on this journey to read anything and everything and to ask questions along the way. I know I do not post as much as I did, say, 3 three ago when I was in the research stage but I still like to drop back in to see how things are going for the new wave coming. Good luck to all as they start this happy stage of their lives!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:01 PM

Yes eggplant for sure we are at square one. To be perfectly frank I don't know if Delaware is on our plans for the future. I'll only say that you could be sure that with this set of 'transplants' we'll do the best to fit in and embarce whatever community we live in if we make the decision to relocate in that fine state. We are finding that there is a wealth of information here. I know many have gone through what we are doing. Brave souls! I am a born and bred native New Yorker through and through it's going to be tough to leave the 'nest' I've known for many many years. heheh the 'gig' is up! Never thought it was going to happen. But it does!!! Well there are many posts to go through!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM

As said, I, personally, don't know any natives living in age restricted communities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
For us it was a no-brainer. We did not wish to do yard work anymore, we liked the idea of instant friends, and we discovered a slower and more economical way of life.
Yes, I've often heard the "instant friends" theory, in regard to newcomers moving to an age restricted community.....something very important to out-of-staters, since they've left their friends behind, or possibly never had any. "Aging" means different things to different people. Some prefer to hire everything done, while others still love to tend their flowers and vegetable gardens. It's all about choices.

Last edited by rdlr; 08-03-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 PM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
As said, I, personally, don't know any natives living in age restricted communities.

Yes, I've often heard the "instant friends" theory, in regard to newcomers moving to an age restricted community.....something very important to out-of-staters, since they've left their friends behind, or possibly never had any. "Aging" means different things to different people. Some prefer to hire everything done, while others still love to tend their flowers and vegetable gardens. It's all about choices.

I absolutely agree. FYI..rdlr is a reliable and honest source of local DE info. I recommend following all of her posts.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Different strokes for different folks.........we are all different and thank God for that. Would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Living in a 55+ community for 6 years I have to say it looses it's novelty and it not all peaches and cream.

Of course.....we are glad we did for the having done for us reason.

But if you get really involved be prepared to handle the gossip, know it all's, old news bags who are into everyones business, criticism

The problem is people dont' have enough to do with their time. Not all but a good majority do and even if you are not that kind of person, you do fall into it very easily if you want to fit in.

live and learn. we do love our home and Now Im involved outside the community as well as an occassional activity in the community

all about balance.

Keep busy and you will be happy and stay out of trouble.

My comment is all 55+ communities for this is a know fact from people who live in many 55+ communities through out the country.
Just have to be smart and cautious when you move in.

take it slow and choose wisely.

Get involved outside the community too.
Volunteer is a good way to go.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Different strokes for different folks.........we are all different and thank God for that. Would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Living in a 55+ community for 6 years I have to say it looses it's novelty and it not all peaches and cream.

Of course.....we are glad we did for the having done for us reason.

But if you get really involved be prepared to handle the gossip, know it all's, old news bags who are into everyones business, criticism

The problem is people dont' have enough to do with their time. Not all but a good majority do and even if you are not that kind of person, you do fall into it very easily if you want to fit in.

live and learn. we do love our home and Now Im involved outside the community as well as an occassional activity in the community

all about balance.

Keep busy and you will be happy and stay out of trouble.

My comment is all 55+ communities for this is a know fact from people who live in many 55+ communities through out the country.
Just have to be smart and cautious when you move in.

take it slow and choose wisely.

Get involved outside the community too.
Volunteer is a good way to go.
Good suggestions, Elizamary. You've lived in a 55+ community for, how many years now?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Good suggestions, Elizamary. You've lived in a 55+ community for, how many years now?
hi rdlr.......here 6 1/2 years........7 in feb. my does the time fly by.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:30 PM

elizamary...

I'd like to ask..Were you say gung-ho on a 55+?? That is to say were you already sold on it before you went through the process of moving? Or did you take it all in and then jump into it because you knew it was the right choice for you? You know 55+ looks good. Only thing is and bear with me I just think it's like 'communism'....;-)...Yeah I'm off the board on that, eh? Maybe I exaggerate but you see when many have to input into decisions I kind of wonder about all that. You see sometimes I think when it's say 'everybody's park' then it's nobody's park....;-)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware