Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 88,433 times

Advertisements

I have done a lot of research about zirconium non metal implants. I know they have recently been approved in the USA after being used for yrs in Europe. I may sadly need to have and extraction and an implant in my possibly fractured root canalled tooth. I have a high sensativity to metal and would like to get zirconium if I can. A dentist I talked to said that many dentists are not using them yet in the USA because they don't feel there is long term studies to prove they work well on all levels. I am wondering if anyone here has one and how it works for you? I think I would choose it over a metal one because of my extreme bad reaction to metal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
First, it's important to understand that zirconium IS metal. That is to say, it is an organometallic compound - it is comprised of a number of things, including metal. So if you truly are allergic to metal, you shouldn't get a zirconium implant. If you're not truly allergic to metal, there's no reason why you should rule out any other kind of implant.

It's very likely that you're allergic to nickel - this is a common allergy. Surgical steel contains no nickel, and titanium also contains no nickel. So if that's your allergy, you should be fine with standard titanium implants.

Studies show that zirconium might prove useful in the future, but there just isn't enough data to support any ADA recommendation of its use yet. As a powder, it can irritate the skin - and there've only been less than a dozen case studies done on it, and none of them were controlled. So far all the results are anectdotal.

This doesn't mean zirconium is a bad thing to use. It just means there's no indication that it's a good thing to use either. The jury's still out. You would be an experiment, and a costly one at that.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 9,244 times
Default Zirconium crowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeroot22 View Post
I have done a lot of research about zirconium non metal implants. I know they have recently been approved in the USA after being used for yrs in Europe. I may sadly need to have and extraction and an implant in my possibly fractured root canalled tooth. I have a high sensativity to metal and would like to get zirconium if I can. A dentist I talked to said that many dentists are not using them yet in the USA because they don't feel there is long term studies to prove they work well on all levels. I am wondering if anyone here has one and how it works for you? I think I would choose it over a metal one because of my extreme bad reaction to metal.

I recently replaced two metal crowns with zirconium crowns. I was experiencing an allergic reaction to the amalgam. After having the zirconium crowns installed, I still am experiencing a reaction. It feels like a burning, bitter, acidic taste coming from where the crowns were placed. I was tested for an allergic reaction to zirconium but the results came back negative. My dentist used a bio compatible cement but I was not tested to see if I could be allergic to the cement. If I were you, you should make sure you are tested for an allergic reaction to anything the dentist is going to use in your mouth before they go ahead with any procedure. This is my second set of crowns in a short period of time and I am still having problems.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 14,209 times
I know this post is a couple years old, but I have a reply to Robert1948. I, too, have had 2 zerconium implants between 2015 and 2018 and having a burning, bitter, acidic taste. It depends on the day, but it goes lower and stronger and I have a light white film on my tongue that won't go away and it's been almost a year. The doctor says it's not thrush and the gastro dr says there's no tests she's putting me through because it's not gastro related.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 13,547 times
Dear LK828 and other members,

I experienced the same symptoms with zirconia as you, additionally a sore throat and chalky tasted crowns and symptoms circulating all the way round. First, receiving my first set of crowns, which were IPS Emax crowns, I thought the problem was due to permanent cementation, mostly because all dentists in my area denied even the existense of zirconia allergy. It was a nightmare. So I had a second bridge, again with zirconia, and the symptoms returned although at first it was glued with temporary cement. Now I am 100 % sure, that the culprit is the zirconia. Did you have a test? What was the result for zirconia? Could you find a solution? I am still desperately seeking what to do.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 14,209 times
Default No Test

Every doctor I have been to says it's not thrush. Well, what is it?!!! Maybe food intolerances? I am at my wit's end trying to find out. The help I have gotten from IFM and naturopaths say it's moderate candida because of the antibiotics, but again, the doctors I have seen say it's not candida. I did one of those food intolerance tests from online and I do show a cadmium reaction. That's about it:/

Old 04-18-2019, 04:06 AM

2 posts, read 13,547 times
You can bet your paycheck on that your symptoms are the results of your adverse reaction to zirconia. I have just the same symptoms. Ever since zirconia was set in my mouth I have experienced the symptoms and this is my second set of bridge, because every doctor I was talking to said there is no way that the culprit was zirconia, more likely the cement. But in the meantime, while without zirconia, my symptoms disappeared. So it is a monstrous lie that zirconia allergy does not exist. It does exist.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,053 times
I have the same symptoms since having zirconia crowns installed a year ago. Am having them replaced with gold. Will see what happens.

Doctors all thought I had thrush, until blood tests and fungal cultures all came back negative. Periodontist said it's "frictional keratosis." Maybe. I doubt it. I had a tongue biopsy, came back negative. I've tried everything I can think of. I just hope the gold crowns help.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,265 times
I’ve had the burning bitter metallic taste plus irritated tongue for 2 years now which I associate with my zirconia crown. My dentist says it’s impossible to have allergy to zirconia. Please follow up and let us know how the switch to gold goes. We also need to hound our dentists to submit adverse reaction data to whatever database they report to or dentistry in general will continue to deny the existence of allergy to this metal.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:49 PM

17 posts, read 48,154 times
I also had 3 zirconia crowns cemented recently and it's been nothing but issues since the first one was cemented. I have experienced severe dry mouth, burning/tingling tongue and roof of mouth, sour taste coming from the crowns. I've told 2 different dentists and they don't think I can be allergic to the zirconia. This is really starting to give me major anxiety. I can't eat, sleep, or focus on anything because my mouth is killing me.
Would pure porcelain crowns be a better alternative? I have an old PFM crown and that never gave me any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health