Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 27,116 times

Advertisements

The liability issue makes no sense as the patient could sign a waiver. I've often asked my doctor to simply feel a sprained finger, wrist, or ankle and have opted out of having an x ray. My doctor happily does so without giving me a lecture. Surely a medical doctor has similar--if not more-- concerns about liability, and yet they don't argue the issue with their patients. This makes me think it must be about money and dentists have somehow agreed not to allow a patient to get away without x rays as it might start a 'trend'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulah2 View Post
The liability issue makes no sense as the patient could sign a waiver. I've often asked my doctor to simply feel a sprained finger, wrist, or ankle and have opted out of having an x ray. My doctor happily does so without giving me a lecture. Surely a medical doctor has similar--if not more-- concerns about liability, and yet they don't argue the issue with their patients. This makes me think it must be about money and dentists have somehow agreed not to allow a patient to get away without x rays as it might start a 'trend'.
A doctor isn't going to take a sharp pointed hook and dig under the skin against the bone to clean it, without taking an X-ray to make sure it actually needs that kind of work AND to make sure that there isn't something going on under the surface that poking at it with a hook might make worse.

Dental cleaning isn't just brushing your teeth with an electric toothbrush. It involves sharp hooks scraping at the gumline, against the tooth, which might or might not be healthy and might or might not crumble or cause excruciating pain if someone scrapes at it with a sharp metal hook.

You should be getting x-rays every year by the same dentist. If you go dentist-hopping, then each time you go, you risk your new dentist not knowing what kind of dental history you have, and not knowing that you have a tiny little divot in the tooth just under the gumline that is WAITING to pop a nerve when a dental hook scrapes against it. If you are seeing a dentist on schedule every year, your dentist won't need you to get new x-rays during the 6-month visit unless he knows there are trouble spots that need to be carefully monitored. But yes, he will likely want a new set on the 1-year visit.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,241 times
Quote:
A patient cannot sign a waiver giving a dentist permission to perform malpractice. The dentists that still do that are mainly old-timers who aren't as familiar with the current medico-legal environment we live in these days, and haven't realized that those waivers don't hold up in court. Hygienists are not allowed to practice independently and just "clean teeth" although many people want to view a cleaning the same as a hair appointment. A dentist has to perform an exam, and xrays are part of the exam, and are the standard of care. Performing below standard of care is malpractice. And why would a dentist want to cater to this type of patient who is waving a red flag alerting them that they will just be more trouble down the road.

Xrays allow the dentist to detect problems before they are visible to the naked eye. Do you also balk when your physician wants to check your blood pressure or test you for diabetes? Or do you prefer to wait until you are in the hospital with a diabetic coma?

For the person that said xrays are NOT required by state law....I don't know where you live but in my state of Texas, they are required at some level. The Texas State Board of Dental Examiners who governs licensure state that xrays should be prescribed in accordance with ADA guidelines. This statement can be found on page 50 of this document:

http://www.tsbde.state.tx.us/documen...s_and_Regs.pdf

The ADA guidelines can be found here:

Chart: Guidelines for Prescribing Dental Radiographs

Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I have never questioned the reason for having X rays, and I never will. I do no think the amount of radiation we receive from X rays every year or so is going to hurt anyone. OP, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do think X rays can be valuable.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 PM

79 posts, read 183,148 times
I often don't get x-rays when I just get a cleaning. Usually I think it's every other time. I just went this week and we did not do x-rays except on one area, but only because I mentioned I was concerned about something. Was not a whole set though. Has been that way all my life! Guess I just assumed that was normal.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
I hate the dentist. They can xray me all they want but when cleaning knock me out-- which they dont do for a simple cleaning unfortunately.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 27,116 times
Default Unfortunately radiation is cumulative

So even a very small amount can be a tipping point for someone who has been over exposed. In addition, I do not have the expertise to examine xray equipment or even to deduce whether or not it's digital. When you ask for records of the required state examination of the xray machine, they are often not on the machine or readily available. 40 years ago when dental xray machines were putting out levels of radiation now considered not to be safe if given annually (they were usually done semi annually), we were told the same line about how safe they were. Dentists offered no lead bib protection nor did they ask if the patient might be pregnant, yet they routinely refused to see patients who would not have xrays.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
So even a very small amount can be a tipping point for someone who has been over exposed. In addition, I do not have the expertise to examine xray equipment or even to deduce whether or not it's digital. When you ask for records of the required state examination of the xray machine, they are often not on the machine or readily available. 40 years ago when dental xray machines were putting out levels of radiation now considered not to be safe if given annually (they were usually done semi annually), we were told the same line about how safe they were. Dentists offered no lead bib protection nor did they ask if the patient might be pregnant, yet they routinely refused to see patients who would not have xrays.
They don't do that anymore, and have been requiring leaded bibs for a couple of decades now. X-ray machines didn't even exist until the late 1800's, prior to that dentists and other doctors basically took educated guesses, and if they wanted to see what was inside, they had to surgically cut you open and take a look that way.

In the last 120 years, dentistry has come a LONG LONG way. In the past 40 years dentistry has come a LONG LONG way. I wouldn't be so concerned about how things were done 40 years ago.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:33 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
I can't even remember how many years ago it was that I instructed the hygienist to mark "No x-rays" in my file. I understand why they may think they're necessary, but I have no interest in regular, routine x-rays. I don't even have one cavity ( and I' m of a generation in which cavities were rampant), and they always comment on how great my gums are.

I'll never be complaisant about x-rays. I am the boss about that when I go to the dentist.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 AM

408 posts, read 607,317 times
Yearly x-rays = yearly cancer lottery.

The odds of ''winning'' may be low, but stiil, I'd prefer not playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health