Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 PM

264 posts, read 831,475 times

Advertisements

If you want to get rid of mouth guards completely and stop the grinding, give magnesium supplements a try. I used mouth guards for about 4 years and finally got fed up grinding through my mouth guards and my jaw feeling tense all the time.. Started searching online and others were recommending magnesium. I started taking magnesium citrate--make sure it is only magnesium, not calcium along with magnesium--200 mg about an hour before bed, usually every other night, sometimes every night. I believe a normal adult dose is 400 mg daily recommended. No more grinding for me, my jaw is relaxed, my muscles are relaxed, and I sleep so deeply at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Apologies for reviving an old thread but this is exactly the question I have now. I've never been told I grind my teeth and have never noticed I did, but the dentist has told me that my teeth show the wear and have mentioned mouth guards off and on for years. I do notice I clinch my teeth, probably how I deal with stress. I'm 60+ and never used one. The price quoted by my dentist for a custom one was $614. I'm in an expensive area and know I go to an expensive dentist,but i like the practice and insurance covers much but I'm sure doesn't this.

I looked at the ones in CVS. Is it worth trying an OTC one first? How do I find one that may work without wasting money? Guess I should try one. At this age I have a mouth full of porcelin and as the hygienist said,it's cheaper than a new crown. Yet, if I can get a good enough solution OTC why should I do the expensive customized version? Or, can I?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
It really depends. I would certainly try an OTC one first to see if you actually wear it. I can tell you though that the custom ones are definitely worth the money ESPECIALLY if you have lots of porcelain work. We often don't realize we grind and clench because you are asleep while doing it. Dental professional look for tell tale signs of it at every exam. Such as chipping, and flattening of the cusps of your molars.

I agree with your RDH that in the long run it can save you money. The custom ones will be just that. Custom made to fit your particular dentition. The OTC ones vary and are often not the best and can feel very clunky. I personally tried them and found the $20 bucks was wasted since it didn't work and would not stay in my mouth.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
It really depends. I would certainly try an OTC one first to see if you actually wear it. I can tell you though that the custom ones are definitely worth the money ESPECIALLY if you have lots of porcelain work. We often don't realize we grind and clench because you are asleep while doing it. Dental professional look for tell tale signs of it at every exam. Such as chipping, and flattening of the cusps of your molars.

I agree with your RDH that in the long run it can save you money. The custom ones will be just that. Custom made to fit your particular dentition. The OTC ones vary and are often not the best and can feel very clunky. I personally tried them and found the $20 bucks was wasted since it didn't work and would not stay in my mouth.
Thanks for the helpful feedback. Now, my other question, at my age how much do my teeth "move"? Meaning will I have an issue with a expensive mouthpiece eventually not fitting? I would think they wouldn't but what happens if I need a crown, or even a filling and it's not the same "fit" as before?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
Well as to your teeth moving that depends on your periodontal status (gum disease.) If your gums are good then your teeth shouldn't shift at all. If you need another crown then yes you would probably need another mouth guard. A simple filling wouldn't make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health