Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 PM

120 posts, read 110,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Dentist told me I was brushing too hard, even with a soft toothbrush. The enamel right at the gum line was being worn down. He filled it with some sort of resin and it looks nice now, he says it should last 10+ years. He said he's seen some people brush so hard it actually saws the tooth right off---no joke!

I did the same and eroded the teeth at the gumline at both of my upper "fangs", more so at the left one since I'm right handed. I also had an area of erosion on the left, lower, outer area at the molars. I caught it myself (after some occasional discomfort at the left fang and once in a great while SHARP, SEARING PAIN....well, maybe not that bad. ) so I modified the way I brush by backing off a bit overall and doing the ol' vertical downward strokes for the upper, outer surfaces. It's helped a lot.

And not to harp on it, I've posted a couple of times on it..............I've been oil pulling for about 5 weeks (20 minutes a day with refined coconut oil) and I do believe some of the eroded gums on the lower side is coming back as well as around my right fang. It's kind of amazing since my dental hygienist told me that wasn't possible.

And....................teeth are actually being "sawed" off? Wow! How painful would that be? Anything for another quarter from the Tooth Fairy, eh?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMustang View Post
I did the same and eroded the teeth some occasional discomfort at the left fang and once in a great while SHARP, SEARING PAIN....well, maybe not that bad. ) so I modified the way I brush by backing off a bit overall and doing the ol' vertical downward strokes for the upper, outer surfaces. It's helped a lot.

And not to harp on it, I've posted a couple of times on it..............I've been oil pulling for about 5 weeks (20 minutes a day with refined coconut oil) and I do believe some of the eroded gums on the lower side is coming back as well as around my right fang. It's kind of amazing since my dental hygienist told me that wasn't possible.

And....................teeth are actually being "sawed" off? Wow! How painful would that be? Anything for another quarter from the Tooth Fairy, eh?

Cheers.
LOVE ME SOME OIL PULLING. I use coconut oil. I think it really helps with oral health.

I brush my teeth usually twice a day. But I do carry those little disposable toothbrushes around with me in case I want to brush my teeth if I'm out running around. I cannot STAND a mouth that doesn't feel squeaky clean.

I floss at least once a day. And I get my teeth professionally cleaned every six months. I'm a stickler about it.

Not trying to brag, but I really do have very healthy teeth, gums, etc. My dentist loves me.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When do you brush your teeth?
All the time.

Quote:
How many times a day do you brush your teeth normally?
After dinner is the main one: a thorough, even obsessive routine.
Rinse, Sonicare Brush, Water Pik irrigator, Floss ...the whole nine yards.

Then a batch of less deliberate passes 3 or 4 more times a day...
like before sleep, waking up, after meals, whenever I feel a need.
It's a way of life.

If you are otherwise orally oriented... it has additional payoffs.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:32 PM

120 posts, read 110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOVE ME SOME OIL PULLING. I use coconut oil. I think it really helps with oral health.

I brush my teeth usually twice a day. But I do carry those little disposable toothbrushes around with me in case I want to brush my teeth if I'm out running around. I cannot STAND a mouth that doesn't feel squeaky clean.

I floss at least once a day. And I get my teeth professionally cleaned every six months. I'm a stickler about it.

Not trying to brag, but I really do have very healthy teeth, gums, etc. My dentist loves me.
Tell me/us more.

Are those the flat, cut out thingys that you perhaps slip over the tip of a finger and are impregnated with a mild paste? Or is it just a little toothbrush like the one I take on overnight backpacking trips?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 PM

36 posts, read 111,289 times
Its really important to brush your teeths twice a day. Once when you get back in the morning before eating anything and then before going to bed in the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health