Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing a tad bit of irritation and some minor bleeding along where my gums meet my teeth. Its freaking me out. this has never happened to me before...I don't think I'm brushing harder than I've brushed my whole life. Also, I don't have a dentist or dental insurance :-/..either way, my guess is gingivitis..so what do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,468 times
That would be my guess too, from what you said. If the toothbrush that you use now doesn't have soft bristles, I'd go out and get one that does. A soft toothbrush will be easier on your gums. Don't stop brushing 2x/day, though, just because your gums are hurting. You might want to also get an antiseptic mouthwash such as Listerine to help control bacteria and tartar around your gums. You can also massage your gums with one of your fingers (gently) in between brushing.

If it continues, though, I would recommend you see a dentist. I don't have any dental insurance either, but there are dental discount plans such as http://www.dentalsave.com and http://www.careington.com that for a small monthly fee will offer you reduced rates on dental services from participating dentists. It might be worth looking into.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
A dentist who would look at your teeth and gums would likely be more accurate than random strangers on the internet.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
Do you floss? Make sure you are flossing as well.

manyroads had very good advice regarding dental discount plans. We could have dental insurance through work, but frankly, it's very expensive and they come up with a lot of reasons to not pay. So we use a dental discount plan.

A little advice - it will cost more in the long run if you have gum disease - trust me on this. I had a horrible fear of the dentist and didn't go for years. I had gum disease and now have to go in every three months for perio check ups - much more expensive than just regular cleanings. Wish I had not put it off.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I had to have my roots planed down to get rid of gunk, very expensive and painful. Find a way to get a checkup. Flossing religiously after every meal is a must!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Had a friend tell me about her discount dental and I asked her to get me the info for it so I'm waiting on that.

Other than that, thanks for the advice..I guess I'll go out and get a soft toothbrush and mouthwash today. Hoping all that helps till I can make it to a dentist.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,957 times
Don't brush hard and use a soft bristle tooth brush and floss!!! after every meal and see your dentist at least once a year for cleaning and examination.
And floss correctly ... stay on the side of each tooth ... not up the middle into the gum if you know what i mean.
Your gums are tender and you may have some more bleeding with flossing but that will pass.
I could have saved myself a lot of painful and costly dental work had i flossed for all of the years that i didn't!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Don't brush hard and use a soft bristle tooth brush and floss!!! after every meal and see your dentist at least once a year for cleaning and examination.
And floss correctly ... stay on the side of each tooth ... not up the middle into the gum if you know what i mean.
Your gums are tender and you may have some more bleeding with flossing but that will pass.
I could have saved myself a lot of painful and costly dental work had i flossed for all of the years that i didn't!
Thanks. I don't have a dentist but a friend of mine is hooking me up with cheap dental insurance so I hope I can see one soon! I was never raised to floss, just to brush my teeth twice a day :-/. Looks like I better add other thing to my regimen.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Thanks. I don't have a dentist but a friend of mine is hooking me up with cheap dental insurance so I hope I can see one soon! I was never raised to floss, just to brush my teeth twice a day :-/. Looks like I better add other thing to my regimen.
You really need to floss for healthy teeth and gums.
It's soooooooo important.
But do see a good dentist at least once a year. I don't know how old you are but if you haven't seen one in quite some time, i suggest making an appointment soon. See an experienced dentist who has been recommended to you by someone you trust.

Flossing instructions from Crest Oral-B - YouTube

Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
You really need to floss for healthy teeth and gums.
It's soooooooo important.
But do see a good dentist at least once a year. I don't know how old you are but if you haven't seen one in quite some time, i suggest making an appointment soon. See an experienced dentist who has been recommended to you by someone you trust.

Flossing instructions from Crest Oral-B - YouTube
I'm 25 (about to be 26). ya I didn't realize how important flossing is. I haven't gone to the dentist in like 3 years cause I don't have any kind of isnurance or discount plan. I Just have general healthcare. but my friend suggested a great place for me so I'm gonna use her dentist once I get my dental insurance set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health