Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 PM

25 posts, read 56,355 times

Advertisements

I have periodontal disease. I have gotten treatments before and followed all the recommendations to the letter T, and tartar/gum disease always returns. The only way to keep it at bay is to get the painful and expensive cleanings every 3-6 months. How the hell does a college student afford this? It really sucks that this crap is so expensive, greedy bastards. They claim that dental health is so crucial, but they never lower their prices.

My gum disease is mostly caused by genetics, so I have no choice but to get treatments for life. I'm a good looking guy, nice hair, facial features, good height, yet I'm screwed by this crap. I would have to get in debt and spend thousands of dollars a year just to keep this disease at bay. This would keep me broke and poor for life. It really sucks. I wish I was rich. Why can't they lower their prices, so everyone can afford to have good health?

Of course not, they don't give a crap about us, they only care about the mighty dollar.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
The cost for a doctor to get all the way through dental school is about $400,000+. The cost of a practice is around $800,000+. Then he requires staff and other expenses.

And you expect him to work for free.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:25 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Dental costs are out of control. I'm getting an upper plate because the same thing Expo is fighting. I had consistent if not timely cleaning for most of my life if not timely and at the age of 53 I have no choice. It's deathly expensive.

Quote:
The cost for a doctor to get all the way through dental school is about $400,000+. The cost of a practice is around $800,000+. Then he requires staff and other expenses.
Is the Porsche Cayenne really necessary?

Old 06-14-2016, 05:34 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

And you expect him to work for free.
What doctor? He said a dentist. I don't see no doctor.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
OP, do you have dental school in your area? It may take awhile to get in, but once you are a patient, you can get appointments in a reasonable amount of time. No dental work is cheap, but the dental schools are cheaper than a private practice, and the work is supervised by faculty, who are licensed dentists.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:31 PM

129 posts, read 110,229 times
I've had the same issues since my teens, caused by genetics as well. I really don't have an easy answer, just posting to share your frustration.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:10 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
What doctor? He said a dentist. I don't see no doctor.
I can't believe I have to tell you a dentist is a doctor.

No, wait, yes I can believe I have to tell you.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:40 PM

25 posts, read 56,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I can't believe I have to tell you a dentist is a doctor.

No, wait, yes I can believe I have to tell you.
In other countries, treatment is just as good as it is here if not even better, yet is affordable to everyone.

Same with plastic surgery, which is ridiculously expensive here.

Health care is the biggest scam in this country.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:57 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,033 times
I have periodontal disease also which runs in my family. As suggested prior, please try to find a dental college in your area. I'm much older than you and was recommended dental implants by private practitioners. I finally went to a dental college and was advised they were not needed unless I preferred them. Saved me thousands of dollars, and the college staff are experts in the field. Now I continue to go to them for routine care. If you request a resident it will be less expensive. All work is checked by the attending dentists.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 PM

629 posts, read 933,116 times
I am a periodontist. I find it amazing how the only form of gum disease that is TRULY genetic occurs in 0.1-1.0% of the population yet every person online and half my patients think they got their bad gums from their parents. No, sir, you didn't inherit bad gums from your parents. You are like the other 99% of the population who only inherited their bad oral hygiene habits.

If your periodontist does a bacteriological/serum culture on you and comes up with Aa, elevated PGE2 and IL-1beta, then I'll believe you have genetic gum disease. Otherwise stop trying to shirk responsibility for your condition. You could have saved thousands of dollars by buying a toothbrush and floss and, (here's the tricky part), actually using the damn things.

Unbelievable also how people complain about dentists being greedy yet we are constantly telling you to brush and floss. Don't you realize that if you did what we told you when we first told you to do it, then you would not need as many expensive treatments and we would make LESS money? I dare you to name another business/industry that tells their clients how to put them out of business.

Last edited by bart0323; 06-15-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health