Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:05 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Epinephrine has nothing to do with achieving initial anesthesia. All the local anesthetics used in dentistry belong to "-caine" class of drugs (lidocaine, carbocaine, etc.) and they all work in the same way - blockage of sodium ion channels in neurons. That is what causes numbing. Epinephrine constricts the blood vessels, so it is an extra ingredient added to make the anesthetic stay in the targeted area longer.
Carbocaine doesn't last nearly as long as something like lidocaine w/epi. I find that if I use carbocaine, I am constantly given multiple injections throughout the procedure, unlike lido w/epic which is usually 1 or 2 shots and we're good to go.
Epinephrine is a naturally-occurring hormone produced constantly by our adrenal glands, so you are walking around all day with epinephrine flowing throughout your body.

Or, instead of extraction, just put some grape seed extract on the broken tooth and wait for it to regrow.
Don't forget pushing oil for 20 minutes a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallala View Post
thank you so much! i called my dentist office today, and they have the licodine with epi. i can't take chances, so i am trying to find another dentist who offers different LA.

i appreciate all the help and support during this worrisome time.
Be careful with this when you call around. This is a great way to become a "red flag patient" and their next open appointment is mysteriously 3 months away.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:35 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
thank you so much! i called my dentist office today, and they have the licodine with epi. i can't take chances, so i am trying to find another dentist who offers different LA.

i appreciate all the help and support during this worrisome time.

Go to an oral surgeon, don't fool around with a general dentist. I had an infected tooth extracted recently by an oral surgeon, I barely felt a thing, and little pain beyond the first day, even though he gave me 10 days worth of Vicodin. I had a problem with epinephrine, too, many years ago. Basically, my heart started racing, and they had to give me something to bring it back down. Epinephrine is for the dentist's convenience, not your's. It holds the pain killers in place longer, so they can take more time. If you can't take epinephrine, your best bet is to go to an oral surgeon, who is faster at dental surgeries, obviously, that's all he does! Practice makes perfect

Old 09-07-2016, 08:29 AM

16 posts, read 27,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Go to an oral surgeon, don't fool around with a general dentist. I had an infected tooth extracted recently by an oral surgeon, I barely felt a thing, and little pain beyond the first day, even though he gave me 10 days worth of Vicodin. I had a problem with epinephrine, too, many years ago. Basically, my heart started racing, and they had to give me something to bring it back down. Epinephrine is for the dentist's convenience, not your's. It holds the pain killers in place longer, so they can take more time. If you can't take epinephrine, your best bet is to go to an oral surgeon, who is faster at dental surgeries, obviously, that's all he does! Practice makes perfect
thank you Marylee. yes, i did end up going to an oral surgeon. she was really good. i told her my concerns with epi, and i asked for carbocaine. she did the extraction in less than 10 seconds. i didn't feel a thing, only the pressure of someone tugging in my tooth lol.

overall, the carbocaine came into affect right away, and stayed numb for over an hour. the only MINI 'issue' for me was coming down from the anesthesia. i kinda felt dizzy, and my high blood pressure went a bit up. other than that, it was a very positive experience. we really do get ourselves worked up before dental appointments.

ps. my extracted tooth is good. i am on ibuprofen 800 for the pain. but during the middle of night, i didn't take the ibuprofen coz i didn't eat obviously. i woke up at like 4am'ish, feeling a bit of headache and a small pain in tooth. but thank god, i was able to go back to sleep.

just following all the after surgery list: rinse with salt and warm water. eat soft diet (eating yogurt, smoothies) i just made soft scrambled eggs coz my tummy was hungry! . finish my anti-biotics and of course REST

Old 09-07-2016, 12:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:

omg, i even reminded my dentist to aspirate. she was like, omg i've been doing this for 15 years! HAHAHA
Thanks for reminding me how very, very glad I am to be retired.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Thanks for reminding me how very, very glad I am to be retired.
haha, why? i mean it's only normal to be nervous at the dentist chair!!! it's not an offense whether a dentist is capable or not. it's more like dentist aught to be more empathetic to their patients and how worried they become. it's the art of listening, without getting offended.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
haha, why? i mean it's only normal to be nervous at the dentist chair!!! it's not an offense whether a dentist is capable or not. it's more like dentist aught to be more empathetic to their patients and how worried they become. it's the art of listening, without getting offended.
Easy to say when you're the patient and you only see the dentist once in a while. Imagine it from the other side of the fence - when you are seeing/hearing/dealing with the same stuff all day, everyday, you start to get very annoyed with it. It doesn't necessarily mean the dentist doesn't care and isn't concerned about making your visit comfortable. These are caveats with any job that involve repetitive activities or scenarios.

I agree w/toofache32 - when a brand new patient calls the office and right off the bat starts asking questions about anesthetic having done all their research on Google, 95% of dentists will see that as a red flag and most will not want to deal with it. Glad that you were able to find a dentist with whom you feel comfortable and were able to get the treatment you needed.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Easy to say when you're the patient and you only see the dentist once in a while. Imagine it from the other side of the fence - when you are seeing/hearing/dealing with the same stuff all day, everyday, you start to get very annoyed with it. It doesn't necessarily mean the dentist doesn't care and isn't concerned about making your visit comfortable. These are caveats with any job that involve repetitive activities or scenarios.

I agree w/toofache32 - when a brand new patient calls the office and right off the bat starts asking questions about anesthetic having done all their research on Google, 95% of dentists will see that as a red flag and most will not want to deal with it. Glad that you were able to find a dentist with whom you feel comfortable and were able to get the treatment you needed.
I agree this is a fine line and it's difficult to know over the phone if the patient just has high anxiety, or if they are truly nutty.
I had a patient call my office to ask my front desk staff how I did a certain procedure because she wanted it done a very specific way which actually may not be the best choice in many situations. I told my staff to tell her "he hasn't done that procedure in several years but he would love to knock the dust off and give it a try!" She said she would go elsewhere. Problem solved.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:57 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I agree this is a fine line and it's difficult to know over the phone if the patient just has high anxiety, or if they are truly nutty.
I had a patient call my office to ask my front desk staff how I did a certain procedure because she wanted it done a very specific way which actually may not be the best choice in many situations. I told my staff to tell her "he hasn't done that procedure in several years but he would love to knock the dust off and give it a try!" She said she would go elsewhere. Problem solved.
Nice - I tell them I watched a YouTube video of the procedure in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on but I think I got the gist of it.

(Paraphrasing the great Lionel Hutz)

Old 09-08-2016, 01:57 PM

here's what happened.

i had a few questions to ask my dentist before we proceeded with the LA and extraction. this was just my personal way of understanding and knowing what to expect. like i said on here, and vocalised this with my dentist...i haven't had a tooth extraction since i was a child. so it's been forever. i just want to get familiarized with the procedure to help lower my nervousness/anxiety.

i asked her and told her about what i shared here. my previous experiences with panic attacks/anxiety and how i think epi is not good. i asked for carbocaine, and she said she has it. what i forgot to ask is about the aspiration process. when i said i was ready to do the extraction, and she was put that numbing paste into my mouth... i saw the needle and it hit me i forgot to ask about if she aspirate. so i was trying to talk with my mouth going numb with the paste and ask her. lol.....i signaled for my bag with the list, and i showed her the name aspirate. that was when she said, yes i know, i've been doing this for 15 years.

to bart's reply. i see what you are saying regarding being in the opposite side of chair. however, this is the profession you've chosen, and it is what it is. you will always get anxiety from patients. it's also a very expensive to go to the dentist, and we do pay for your service technically, and also empathically.

it's really HARD to find a good dentist who truly listen to their patients without having their egos hurt.

Last edited by lallala; 09-08-2016 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health