Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 1,805 times

Advertisements

Symptoms & Warning Signs of Sleep Apnea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 08:28 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,862 times
Man over 200 lbs.
Shirt size 17 inches or larger.
Snores loudly
Extremely sleepy mid afternoon
High incidence of wrecking cars
Low energy levels
Heart problems (many require open heart surgery if untreated.)
Has problems getting along with his family--short tempered and hard to get along with.

I've been off my CPAP machine for the last year, but am getting back on it today. My doctor says he has almost every doctor in the city on CPAP. My oxygen level goes down to about 92% when I'm asleep. I knew one co-worker @ 58% who was literally choking in his sleep. His projected lifespan is short. I knew one gentleman that had to quit driving because he'd go to sleep at red lights--and had too many wrecks.

It's so much more prevalent than anyone knows. The sleep test usually takes two nights, and is covered by health insurance.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:25 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
. My oxygen level goes down to about 92% when I'm asleep..

You don't qualify then, based on O2 sat.

The indications for sleep studies has been greatly expanded by adding the "200 lb or 17 in neck" to the criteria. That's an outgrowth of Obamacare Buddy Capitalism. It's BS.

Pickwickian Syndrome- named after the character in Dicken's Pickwick Papers who was obese and kept falling asleep in the middle of a sentence-- is the most severe form Sleep Apnea." These pts are prone to nod off during the day which can get dangerous if they're driving, for instance.

Screening for sleep apnea is indicated when pts' have excessive snoring, restless sleep, day time drowsiness. Obesity may or may not be present. Of course pts getting poor sleep may be cranky, but if that's one of our criteria, we'd all qualify from time to time.

Higher risk for sudden death among sleep apnea pts is often mentioned, but the rate is minimally elevated, if at all. (Difficult to collect and analyze data in a meaningful way.) Several comorbidities occur with increased frequency: CAD, DM and such, all also associated with obesity. Which is cause? Which is effect?

For the technically inclined https://www.connecticare.com/provide...0Treatment.pdf

Will Medicare pay for CPAP? https://www.sleepdr.com/the-sleep-bl...r-sleep-apnea/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health