Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 08:46 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I would change dentists. I’ve been to various dentists in different parts of the U.S. and have always been impressed with the professionalism they generally display. Most also have a good sense of what is appropriate to ask or talk about. Just go to another one, dentist offices are everywhere.
I'll be seeing a different dentist in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be a good experience. The other office has set a very low bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That was an epinephrine reaction, by the way, in case you didn't know. Epinephrine is added to increase the effectiveness of the anesthesia. I always insist on no epinephrine because there's nothing like feeling like you're dying of a heart attack and can't breathe when your dentist has their hands stuffed in your maw trying to wrestle out a stubborn, long-rooted molar.
Thank you for this information--I will tell my new dentist. I had suspected as much, based on Google searches, but I didn't know for sure. One huge problem I had with this was that the dentist acted as though she had never heard of such a thing, and offered no assistance, not even a verbal acknowledgement or reassurance.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This. Epinephrine is used because it helps to slow bleeding and also helps the other anesthetic last longer. You can absolutely ask for no epinephrine. However, the other anesthetics on their own do not last very long. I had one gum surgery abroad without it and the anesthetic wore off before the end. I was welcome to ask for more, but was at a dental school with about 10 students watching the procedure. Typically I ask for no epinephrine because it lasts like a whole day for me. That may make sense for a more involved gum surgery (that will have a lot of bleeding), but not so much for getting a tooth filled in 10 minutes.
Thank you for the confirmation about this. Another situation that the dentist never heard of or acknowledged, even though I told her outright, is that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, so localized anesthetics tend to diffuse into the surrounding tissues and provide less pain relief at the site.

This is very helpful, since I will be going to my new dentist in a couple of weeks and can tell her this.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:56 AM

A big thank you to all of you who responded with empathy and kindness. I hesitated to even start this thread, because I was afraid I would get more responses like the first one, and I have seen enough bullying and victim blaming to last me a lifetime. But it was worth it because now I feel more empowered.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Thank you for the confirmation about this. Another situation that the dentist never heard of or acknowledged, even though I told her outright, is that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, so localized anesthetics tend to diffuse into the surrounding tissues and provide less pain relief at the site.

This is very helpful, since I will be going to my new dentist in a couple of weeks and can tell her this.
Good luck. FWIW, I have never been at a practice that hasn’t informed me before the visit that Dr. X has left the practice. It may be a state-by-state thing though. In the places I’ve lived, I have always been asked if it is ok if I am examined by Dr. Y/student Y (usually a medical resident/student) or a PA/NP instead of the physician/dentist. Even at the dental school, which was out of the country, the dentist asked if it was ok to have students watch. I can’t say I’ve ever been in a situation where I agreed to see one doctor and someone else showed up.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:20 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
But I didn't volunteer any religious preference whatsoever. At all. Ever. No one ever asked me. I would have remembered, because I've only been asked that question once in my entire life, when I was going in for a surgical procedure.

Again, the hygienist may have confused you with another patient. Not saying that should be acceptable, just that it happens. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most probable. Occam's Razor.

I did call and have the office note my preference for the other dentist in my file. They acknowledged that when I scheduled the appointment. My beef with that is that even though they knew I was supposed to be his patient, they did not have the professional courtesy to let me know ahead of time that he was no longer with the practice.

If you had mentioned that in your OP I would have agreed that they should have let you know. People can only respond based on what you write.

And finally, this is a small town, and while there may be a whole lot of great dentists where you live, that is not the case around here.

I have spent the last 30 years living in small towns that have at most 1-2 dentists. If you didn't like either of them you got on a plane or drove 8 hours RT to reach another.

For some reason, you sound very defensive for not even knowing me. I thought this was supposed to be a safe place, according to the moderator's note. If this is the general tone of this forum, I won't be visiting again.

Defensive? About what? I don't know why it is even being suggested. I'm not religious though will go so far as admitting that persecuting anyone for their religious beliefs; no matter what they happen to be; is one of "human kind's" more horrific manifestations. In contrast, your OP brought up religion multiple times. It is possible you are somewhat defensive about it. Your suggestion that the hygienist was going to be sadistic or cruel just because she mentioned a interest in reading about the holocaust/concentration camps came off as bizarre and paranoid. I responded to your OP by playing Devil's Advocate (presenting a different view of the situation), not to attack you.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-23-2021 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-23-2021, 06:09 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Go with your gut. I found the reference to holocaust literature bizarre. I'm Christian and I care- I've visited Theresienstadt and the Anne Frank House but reading details of the atrocities on a regular basis would depress the crap out of me. It was just a strange topic for her to bring up as a favorite subject since few people would identify favorably with it. It has nothing to do with her competence, of course, but still... weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Ted left because he and Dr. Lynne had different views about how to treat patients.

Good luck with finding a better dentist. I love mine and I hope he never retires!

Old 04-23-2021, 06:14 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
I wrote a nice, long response and the computer ate it. Go with your gut. The hygienist's statement about avidly reading holocaust literature is bizarre regardless of your or her religion - just not a good "getting to know you" topic since most of us can't digest large amounts of details of the atrocities on a regular basis without becoming overwhelmed. It has nothing to do with her competence but it's weird.

I wonder if Dr. Ted left because he and Dr. Lynne had very different attitudes about how to treat patients. I hope you find a dentist you like. I love mine!

Old 04-25-2021, 01:39 PM

572 posts, read 325,130 times
May e inexperienced or may e she had a very hard day. she was not focused and she might have some personal issues. ut your experience is weird better to change if it is more comfortable for you.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Good luck. FWIW, I have never been at a practice that hasn’t informed me before the visit that Dr. X has left the practice. It may be a state-by-state thing though. In the places I’ve lived, I have always been asked if it is ok if I am examined by Dr. Y/student Y (usually a medical resident/student) or a PA/NP instead of the physician/dentist. Even at the dental school, which was out of the country, the dentist asked if it was ok to have students watch. I can’t say I’ve ever been in a situation where I agreed to see one doctor and someone else showed up.
This. Thank you! I have never had this happen in my 50+ years of dealing with professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health