Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 09:16 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

First off, I want to say that I have scheduled my next cleaning and checkup with a different dental office. But I had such a bizarre and unsettling experience at my last dental visit, I can’t get it out of my mind, so I thought I’d set it down here and see if anyone would like to comment. I would be especially interested to hear from dental professionals if any would care to weigh in.

I'd been going to the same dental clinic for over six years. I had been on the fence about staying with them, because I didn’t really like the dentist (I’ll call her Dr. Lynn). I don’t know if it was just me, or if she just didn’t have a very good chairside manner in general. During my visits, except for saying, “Hi,” at the beginning and “You’re looking good, see you next time,” at the end, she would ignore me and either sing along with the office music, or make extensive personal conversation with the hygienist. And one time when I was experiencing an unanticipated and to me, scary physical reaction to a Lidocaine injection (accelerated heart rate, sweating, general feeling of panic), she offered no help, and I saw her roll her eyes at her assistant.

Another dentist eventually joined her practice, and I really liked him. He was kind and had a gentle touch. I’ll call him Dr. Ted. That, and the fact that I really liked my hygienist, made me decide to stick with this practice. The hygienist moved away a few months ago, but since I really liked Dr. Ted, I thought I would stay.

So in September of last year, I went in for a routine cleaning and check. The new hygienist had only been at this dental practice for a few weeks. I’ll call her Peggy. Here’s what happened.

First, even though Peggy said that she had 15 years of experience, during my cleaning she seemed extremely nervous. Three times, she apparently picked up the wrong instrument, then put it down and picked up another. The third time, she muttered under her breath, “Focus, Peggy, focus!”

Peggy was trying to keep up a conversation (which I did not appreciate, since I could smell her extreme garlic breath even through her mask, and I felt that during a pandemic, it might be good to keep gratuitous conversation to a minimum). Anyway, she asked me what kind of books I like. I mumbled, “Oh, I don’t know, mostly historical fiction and some sci-fi.” She said, “I guess I shouldn’t say this, since you’re Jewish, but I really like to read about the Holocaust and concentration camps.” I said, “I’m not Jewish.” She said, “Oh, wow, your file said you were Jewish. Huh. Not that it matters of course.”

Then Peggy said, “Oh, here’s the doctor.” With an inner sigh of relief, I turned to the door, only to see, not the expected sweet Dr. Ted, but Dr. Lynn. The office had neglected to let me know ahead of time that Dr. Ted had quit the practice and moved away. Dr. Lynn apparently saw the confusion and disappointment on my face, and she said, “Yup it’s me, the mean dentist.”

Looking back at this, I guess one of my main questions is whether the concentration camp/Jewish comment was any kind of a signal that the hygienist had something of a sadistic streak. Also, is it common practice to note a patient’s religion, whether mistaken or not, in their file? And “It’s me, the mean dentist,” just seemed like a really strange thing to say to a patient.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 09:25 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Life is too short to stick with a lousy dental office. All your objections are perfectly legitimate. Go shopping now for a better practice!

Old 04-22-2021, 11:39 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Looking back at this, I guess one of my main questions is whether the concentration camp/Jewish comment was any kind of a signal that the hygienist had something of a sadistic streak. Also, is it common practice to note a patient’s religion, whether mistaken or not, in their file? And “It’s me, the mean dentist,” just seemed like a really strange thing to say to a patient.

Thoughts?
Personally, I think the idea that this was a "signal" of anything is what was bizarre. Right out of a Nazi-war-criminal-hiding-out-in-modern-society movie like The Boys From Brazil.

As for religious preference being noted in a client's file, a patient might refuse a specific treatment on religious grounds (not being kosher, no animal-based products, no intoxicating drugs, etc). Noting preferences like that allows the dentist to accommodate and show respect. If you didn't volunteer a religious preference why would it be noted in your chart? You usually aren't required to provide that information. That hygienist looks at multiple patient files day in and day out. You don't think its possible she simply mixed you up with someone else?

As for the "mean" comment, obviously this dentist acknowledges that they are a stricter, no-nonsense sort, not warm and fuzzy. It was mild sarcasm poking a bit of fun at themselves. Everyone knows jokes about sadistic dentists and I'm certain those jokes circulate among the professionals if not more than they do among patients. The comment shows some self awareness which suggests the opposite of being "mean".

If you don't like the hygienist's breath, leave a comment with the practice manager suggesting they pay a bit more attention to it. If you would only accept an appointment with the nice guy, you should have had them note that preference in your file. Without such a notation, why would they call you just because he left the practice? They aren't mind readers after all and I'm sure they filled in behind each other all the time when he was there. A practice schedule changes constantly. If you don't trust their expertise, or like the primary's personality, find another practice. There are lots of dentists out there.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-22-2021 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 03:43 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Go find Dr. Ted now - do not waste a second.

My problem is everywhere I have gone, I have had similar to your Lidocaine reaction, some worse. I broke my jaw in my late teens (I am now in my early 60s) and have a lot of scar tissue in my mouth. This makes the numbing process difficult. The last dentist I saw, saw the stuff was wearing off and doubled-down, like if he drilled harder and faster, he could beat needing more Lidocaine. Never said a word to me personally. Another instance, I was so nervous I agreed to sedation. Never do that unless you are willing to wake up to find a tooth missing. I can go on and on. Since my last real dentist died, I have been floundering in the system. I read every review I could and when I thought I found the one I wanted, I realized his office staff had written the reviews. Their names all matched up on Yelp. I stopped after 3 visits.

I am so freaking paralyzed to even make an appointment and I have massive issues. If you find someone you like, hang on tight.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
I would change dentists. I’ve been to various dentists in different parts of the U.S. and have always been impressed with the professionalism they generally display. Most also have a good sense of what is appropriate to ask or talk about. Just go to another one, dentist offices are everywhere.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:44 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
That was an epinephrine reaction, by the way, in case you didn't know. Epinephrine is added to increase the effectiveness of the anesthesia. I always insist on no epinephrine because there's nothing like feeling like you're dying of a heart attack and can't breathe when your dentist has their hands stuffed in your maw trying to wrestle out a stubborn, long-rooted molar.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That was an epinephrine reaction, by the way, in case you didn't know. Epinephrine is added to increase the effectiveness of the anesthesia. I always insist on no epinephrine because there's nothing like feeling like you're dying of a heart attack and can't breathe when your dentist has their hands stuffed in your maw trying to wrestle out a stubborn, long-rooted molar.
This. Epinephrine is used because it helps to slow bleeding and also helps the other anesthetic last longer. You can absolutely ask for no epinephrine. However, the other anesthetics on their own do not last very long. I had one gum surgery abroad without it and the anesthetic wore off before the end. I was welcome to ask for more, but was at a dental school with about 10 students watching the procedure. Typically I ask for no epinephrine because it lasts like a whole day for me. That may make sense for a more involved gum surgery (that will have a lot of bleeding), but not so much for getting a tooth filled in 10 minutes.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Life is too short to stick with a lousy dental office. All your objections are perfectly legitimate. Go shopping now for a better practice!
Done--I got my records transferred yesterday. Fingers crossed that the new place is more professional.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Personally, I think the idea that this was a "signal" of anything is what was bizarre. Right out of a Nazi-war-criminal-hiding-out-in-modern-society movie like The Boys From Brazil.

As for religious preference being noted in a client's file, a patient might refuse a specific treatment on religious grounds (not being kosher, no animal-based products, no intoxicating drugs, etc). Noting preferences like that allows the dentist to accommodate and show respect. If you didn't volunteer a religious preference why would it be noted in your chart? You usually aren't required to provide that information. That hygienist looks at multiple patient files day in and day out. You don't think its possible she simply mixed you up with someone else?

As for the "mean" comment, obviously this dentist acknowledges that they are a stricter, no-nonsense sort, not warm and fuzzy. It was mild sarcasm poking a bit of fun at themselves. Everyone knows jokes about sadistic dentists and I'm certain those jokes circulate among the professionals if not more than they do among patients. The comment shows some self awareness which suggests the opposite of being "mean".

If you don't like the hygienist's breath, leave a comment with the practice manager suggesting they pay a bit more attention to it. If you would only accept an appointment with the nice guy, you should have had them note that preference in your file. Without such a notation, why would they call you just because he left the practice? They aren't mind readers after all and I'm sure they filled in behind each other all the time when he was there. A practice schedule changes constantly. If you don't trust their expertise, or like the primary's personality, find another practice. There are lots of dentists out there.
But I didn't volunteer any religious preference whatsoever. At all. Ever. No one ever asked me. I would have remembered, because I've only been asked that question once in my entire life, when I was going in for a surgical procedure.

I did call and have the office note my preference for the other dentist in my file. They acknowledged that when I scheduled the appointment. My beef with that is that even though they knew I was supposed to be his patient, they did not have the professional courtesy to let me know ahead of time that he was no longer with the practice.

And finally, this is a small town, and while there may be a whole lot of great dentists where you live, that is not the case around here.

For some reason, you sound very defensive for not even knowing me. I thought this was supposed to be a safe place, according to the moderator's note. If this is the general tone of this forum, I won't be visiting again.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Go find Dr. Ted now - do not waste a second.

My problem is everywhere I have gone, I have had similar to your Lidocaine reaction, some worse. I broke my jaw in my late teens (I am now in my early 60s) and have a lot of scar tissue in my mouth. This makes the numbing process difficult. The last dentist I saw, saw the stuff was wearing off and doubled-down, like if he drilled harder and faster, he could beat needing more Lidocaine. Never said a word to me personally. Another instance, I was so nervous I agreed to sedation. Never do that unless you are willing to wake up to find a tooth missing. I can go on and on. Since my last real dentist died, I have been floundering in the system. I read every review I could and when I thought I found the one I wanted, I realized his office staff had written the reviews. Their names all matched up on Yelp. I stopped after 3 visits.

I am so freaking paralyzed to even make an appointment and I have massive issues. If you find someone you like, hang on tight.
I looked for Dr. Ted right away--he's far, far away, half the state away from here. Sigh.

I empathize with your troubles. I was talking to a friend who has similar issues to yours, and we agreed that it feels like such a bind, to know that you absolutely need the dental care, but to not be able to find someone who is skilled, knowledgeable, and caring.

Thank you for being kind to me. It's so easy for those without empathy to criticize what they haven't personally experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health