Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 09:29 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Go with your gut. I found the reference to holocaust literature bizarre. I'm Christian and I care- I've visited Theresienstadt and the Anne Frank House but reading details of the atrocities on a regular basis would depress the crap out of me. It was just a strange topic for her to bring up as a favorite subject since few people would identify favorably with it. It has nothing to do with her competence, of course, but still... weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Ted left because he and Dr. Lynne had different views about how to treat patients.

Good luck with finding a better dentist. I love mine and I hope he never retires!
Thank you. Coming out of the blue, it just did seem a bit off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 09:31 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
May e inexperienced or may e she had a very hard day. she was not focused and she might have some personal issues. ut your experience is weird better to change if it is more comfortable for you.
She did say she had done this for 15 years at another practice, but maybe being new at this practice threw her for a loop? Hard to say. I am going to change, since all of these things added up to discomfort for me. Thanks for the post.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:05 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That may make sense for a more involved gum surgery (that will have a lot of bleeding), but not so much for getting a tooth filled in 10 minutes.
I had surgery on a tooth root with no epinephrine. It worked fine and when I started to feel pain, they gave me another shot. Having reacted badly to epinephrine in the past there was no way I was having it again. I imagine there was blood but the assistant suctioned it up so I never saw any.
I always tell any dentist I see "no epinephrine" and they have never argued about it with me. They know about this issue.

If I encountered a dentist like Dr Lynn I would run, maybe even get up in the middle of the visit to run! LOL

Old 04-27-2021, 05:53 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I had surgery on a tooth root with no epinephrine. It worked fine and when I started to feel pain, they gave me another shot. Having reacted badly to epinephrine in the past there was no way I was having it again. I imagine there was blood but the assistant suctioned it up so I never saw any.
I always tell any dentist I see "no epinephrine" and they have never argued about it with me. They know about this issue.

If I encountered a dentist like Dr Lynn I would run, maybe even get up in the middle of the visit to run! LOL
That is 100% what dentists count on, that the seated patient won't up and leave. As patients, we are so intimidated and have this false belief we have no power, when it's just the opposite, we have all the power. Exercising it is another matter altogether.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Go find Dr. Ted now - do not waste a second.

My problem is everywhere I have gone, I have had similar to your Lidocaine reaction, some worse. I broke my jaw in my late teens (I am now in my early 60s) and have a lot of scar tissue in my mouth. This makes the numbing process difficult. The last dentist I saw, saw the stuff was wearing off and doubled-down, like if he drilled harder and faster, he could beat needing more Lidocaine. Never said a word to me personally. Another instance, I was so nervous I agreed to sedation. Never do that unless you are willing to wake up to find a tooth missing. I can go on and on. Since my last real dentist died, I have been floundering in the system. I read every review I could and when I thought I found the one I wanted, I realized his office staff had written the reviews. Their names all matched up on Yelp. I stopped after 3 visits.

I am so freaking paralyzed to even make an appointment and I have massive issues. If you find someone you like, hang on tight.

Similar, especially after I moved away from mine. Drove the hour up to still see him, until I moved 2 hours away. I thought I finally found a decent one until a cap fell out. I went there, they refused to see me because I didn't have a check book with me. He refused to bill us. I don't know why, he lets us pay the balance off after an insurance payment, what's the difference?

I then found a woman who couldn't give me an estimate for work to be done. Then I put off finding another, decided on the local dental school. They told me my mouth was too complicated, sent me to Penn university to see if they can save what I had left, but I need what's left yanked for dentures which is on hold due to COVID.

I wasn't happy with their oral surgery department, have been debating going to the lady I like but she charges over $300 per tooth when Penn charges $100 which is what insurance will pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That was an epinephrine reaction, by the way, in case you didn't know. Epinephrine is added to increase the effectiveness of the anesthesia. I always insist on no epinephrine because there's nothing like feeling like you're dying of a heart attack and can't breathe when your dentist has their hands stuffed in your maw trying to wrestle out a stubborn, long-rooted molar.

Totally agree, I stopped the epi years ago, bad $hit for some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Thank you for the confirmation about this. Another situation that the dentist never heard of or acknowledged, even though I told her outright, is that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, so localized anesthetics tend to diffuse into the surrounding tissues and provide less pain relief at the site.

This is very helpful, since I will be going to my new dentist in a couple of weeks and can tell her this.

We have a connective tissue disorder (CTD) too that's affected our teeth. It was hard finding a dentist who knew about oral cancer in 2009, none around, I doubt any even know about EDS and CTD's.

What I suggest you do, go on the NextDoor site, post, asking for dentist referrals. The site is great for that. At least you'll be prepared if you don't like the one you're going to. I also suggest you ask the new dentist for a copy of your records so you have them just in case.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:56 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I feel for you. I've had 2 long term dentists, who were both about my age, retire on me who had seen me through 35 years. After the second dentist retired I stuck with the people who bought his practice (a company that owned many offices in the area) but over 2 years and a couple crowns I never saw the same dentist twice...it was literally a revolving door and I had awful luck with the work they did...and they always seemed to want to do more...and they upsold EVERYTHING. I decided it was time to leave and start over and a family member recommended the place I've been going to for about 6 years now. This one is much younger than me so with any luck I won't have to go through this again for quite awhile!

Old 04-29-2021, 07:59 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:

Then Peggy said, “Oh, here’s the doctor.” With an inner sigh of relief, I turned to the door, only to see, not the expected sweet Dr. Ted, but Dr. Lynn. The office had neglected to let me know ahead of time that Dr. Ted had quit the practice and moved away. Dr. Lynn apparently saw the confusion and disappointment on my face, and she said, “Yup it’s me, the mean dentist.”

Thoughts?

Sounds like the dentist doesn't like you either.

Is this a corporate/franchise office?

Old 05-02-2021, 04:25 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Done--I got my records transferred yesterday. Fingers crossed that the new place is more professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Life is too short to stick with a lousy dental office. All your objections are perfectly legitimate. Go shopping now for a better practice!

Good OP & I would have said the same thing the other poster above said!

Old 05-09-2021, 02:17 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Regarding the new hygenist, my guess is that she was nervous because of the "mean" dentist. Things weren't going well between the two.

I saw your post that you'd changed. Good. I would have. (Although, I don't need for dentists or doctors to be friendly. I just need them to do a good job. Friendly, engaging personalities always help and are appreciated, but not required. I've had bad work done by friendly dentists before.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health