Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 10:04 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times

Advertisements

Hello! I scheduled a molar extraction appointment with a large chain dentist clinic. I am having bad anxiety about the extraction and was told that the dentist probably will not do the extraction due to the anxiety and want to reschedule so that they can send me to an oral surgeon for general anesthesia usage. I told them that I wanted to go through with the extraction and I asked them about prescribing me some sort of anxiety medication to help along the process but was told that is not a thing dentists do. I know they are full of it. My coworker goes to a dentist that is always willing to prescribe something the day before any procedure.

I find it hard to believe that my dentist does not use laughing gas, or any other type of anti anxiety medicine to help patients with anxiety. On my first visit, I told them that I have a crippling fear of the dentist, and yet I feel they could actually care less.

I am considering canceling the appointment and going to the dentist office my coworker goes to. Am I being too critical of the dentist office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 03:21 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hello! I scheduled a molar extraction appointment with a large chain dentist clinic. I am having bad anxiety about the extraction and was told that the dentist probably will not do the extraction due to the anxiety and want to reschedule so that they can send me to an oral surgeon for general anesthesia usage. I told them that I wanted to go through with the extraction and I asked them about prescribing me some sort of anxiety medication to help along the process but was told that is not a thing dentists do. I know they are full of it. My coworker goes to a dentist that is always willing to prescribe something the day before any procedure.

I find it hard to believe that my dentist does not use laughing gas, or any other type of anti anxiety medicine to help patients with anxiety. On my first visit, I told them that I have a crippling fear of the dentist, and yet I feel they could actually care less.

I am considering canceling the appointment and going to the dentist office my coworker goes to. Am I being too critical of the dentist office?
How could any of us comment? None of us know you, your medical/anxiety history, how you presented your situation to the dentist, or the dentist himself. They do have their professional preferences after all. Fear of dentistry is very very common. If the large chain dentist doesn't know you well I can understand them being reluctant to hand out anti-anxiety meds upon request. Too many people abuse them.

Sounds as if your current dentist and you are not on the same page. Get a consult with your co-worker's dentist and see what they say.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How could any of us comment? None of us know you, your medical/anxiety history, how you presented your situation to the dentist, or the dentist himself. They do have their professional preferences after all. Fear of dentistry is very very common. If the large chain dentist doesn't know you well I can understand them being reluctant to hand out anti-anxiety meds upon request. Too many people abuse them.

Sounds as if your current dentist and you are not on the same page. Get a consult with your co-worker's dentist and see what they say.
This dentist prescribed me with a thirty day supply of Tylenol #3, I doubt that he has no compunction prescribing me one or two pills for anxiety. I was asking a general question on how dentist generally treat patients with anxiety. Surly they don’t just tell everyone to “suck it up”.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:

No, you are not too critical. Get a dentist who is not working for a rip off corporation owned dental clinic. Ask around, check on nextdoor or read reviews on yelp. They want to refer you to one of 'their' oral surgeons who will knock you out for a procedure that doesn't require that, I hate to think of what that will cost. My dentist gives me nitrous and doesn't charge extra for it and a friend who goes to the same dentist gets a prescription for valium to take before she has any major work done.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:34 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
This dentist prescribed me with a thirty day supply of Tylenol #3, I doubt that he has no compunction prescribing me one or two pills for anxiety. I was asking a general question on how dentist generally treat patients with anxiety. Surly they don’t just tell everyone to “suck it up”.

he prescribed a 30 day supply of Tylenol #3 for a single molar extraction? My dentist, who is my regular dentist, wouldn't even prescribe me 1 pill for the same procedure, and it took him forever to wrestle that sob out of my maxillary bone. Fortunately I keep a supply of vicodin on hand for just such occasions with prissy dentists.

Meanwhile, when I had a wisdom tooth extracted under local anesthesia the oral surgeon gave me a few Valium to take the night before and the morning of the procedure. And I think that is reasonable to expect from a dentist. I didn't even ask for it, but when I walked in that day he could have pulled all my teeth and I wouldn't have cared.

Another option is to ask your primary physician for a couple anxiety pills to take before the procedure.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I was asking a general question on how dentist generally treat patients with anxiety. Surly they don’t just tell everyone to “suck it up”.
But that's the problem with asking a "general question" about an entire profession...the answer isn't general!

It isn't a stretch to imagine a dentist being willing to prescribe pain relievers. It is more of a stretch to imagine them being willing to prescribe anti-anxiety meds. After all, there are multiple ways to relieve situational anxiety including those that don't involve drugs at all. Because that dentist is part of a larger practice chain you could be seeing the fallout from a corporate policy regarding certain classes of meds such as benzos. They simply don't write scripts for them. They redirect that patient to someone else. In your case the oral surgeon who would use a general. I also agree if you really want a limited anti-anxiety script get it from your GP or a mental health provider if you have one.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-04-2021 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, you are not too critical. Get a dentist who is not working for a rip off corporation owned dental clinic. Ask around, check on nextdoor or read reviews on yelp. They want to refer you to one of 'their' oral surgeons who will knock you out for a procedure that doesn't require that, I hate to think of what that will cost. My dentist gives me nitrous and doesn't charge extra for it and a friend who goes to the same dentist gets a prescription for valium to take before she has any major work done.
I made an appointment with an oral surgeon office in a couple days. After that I’ll try the dentist my coworker goes to. I think it’s incredible that my current dentist thinks anxiety is not normal for dental procedures.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
he prescribed a 30 day supply of Tylenol #3 for a single molar extraction? My dentist, who is my regular dentist, wouldn't even prescribe me 1 pill for the same procedure, and it took him forever to wrestle that sob out of my maxillary bone. Fortunately I keep a supply of vicodin on hand for just such occasions with prissy dentists.

Meanwhile, when I had a wisdom tooth extracted under local anesthesia the oral surgeon gave me a few Valium to take the night before and the morning of the procedure. And I think that is reasonable to expect from a dentist. I didn't even ask for it, but when I walked in that day he could have pulled all my teeth and I wouldn't have cared.

Another option is to ask your primary physician for a couple anxiety pills to take before the procedure.
Thank you! Yea I am surprised that this dentist has NOTHING to combat anxiety. Very very strange.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But that's the problem with asking a "general question" about an entire profession...the answer isn't general!

It isn't a stretch to imagine a dentist being willing to prescribe pain relievers. It is more of a stretch to imagine them being willing to prescribe anti-anxiety meds. After all, there are multiple ways to relieve situational anxiety including those that don't involve drugs at all. Because that dentist is part of a larger practice chain you could be seeing the fallout from a corporate policy regarding certain classes of meds such as benzos. They simply don't write scripts for them. They redirect that patient to someone else. In your case the oral surgeon who would use a general. I also agree if you really want a limited anti-anxiety script get it from your GP or a mental health provider if you have one.
Really? Because the replies, not only here but from friends and coworkers, say otherwise. As a kid, going to the dentist and being given nitros oxide was a completely normal thing. If my dentist is willing to prescribe me nearly a 30 day prescription of Tylenol 3, then why couldn’t he give me two dang Valium pills for anxiety? It surly couldn’t be due to a lawsuit, otherwise he would have told me to take ibuprofen instead of an opium based product.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Really? Because the replies, not only here but from friends and coworkers, say otherwise. As a kid, going to the dentist and being given nitros oxide was a completely normal thing. If my dentist is willing to prescribe me nearly a 30 day prescription of Tylenol 3, then why couldn’t he give me two dang Valium pills for anxiety? It surly couldn’t be due to a lawsuit, otherwise he would have told me to take ibuprofen instead of an opium based product.
Who suggested lawsuits? If you must know, I suppose the only way to find out why is to ask HIM why! All any of us here can do is speculate but apparently that's not good enough for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health