Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 09:59 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times

Advertisements

The broken tooth not only needs to have enough left to serve as the crown base, it also has to be sound. I've had dentists start preparing a tooth for a crown only to find out that it was cracked too much and they couldn't continue. I had to have it extracted. So that's a possibility, especially since part of the tooth broke off.

If floss catches on the crown it wasn't done very well. My crown and bridge done in Mexico are like that. Never had it with a crown done in the US.

Last edited by Deserterer; 03-19-2022 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 10:06 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I have crowns on many of my back teeth. They are better than natural teeth in some ways. They've presented no problems for me and generally have lasted 10 to 20 years. One popped out. I was able to save it and take to dentist for him to reglue it in. IMO he hadn't properly glued it in.

I have to be careful w/dental floss, not getting it underneath a corner, or I could pop it out myself.

You're not supposed to eat hard things or overly sticky things, particularly past a certain age (teeth weaken with age), so I try to follow those rules generally, which I suppose is helpful for the crowns, too.

The biggest issue w/crowns, IMO, besides the cost, is matching the color. Mine are in the back, so not much of an issue. But if it were in the front, that would be an issue. It's impossible to match the color exactly, and crowns aren't as translucent as real enamel. And real teeth change colors over time, while crowns don't. My family wasn't blessed with thick enamel, so I've had to accept this issue with my teeth in the back.
The newer zirconia crowns are translucent, I have some on my front teeth and adjacent to a tooth without a crown and they look identical

Old 03-20-2022, 09:33 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
I have a mouthful of crowns, and I've never had a temporary come off. In fact, the last two times I had a temporary placed, they were on so tightly that the hygienist couldn't get them off by prying or pulling. The dentist had to cut them off (which is painless, of course). The dentist then said that they had stressed with their staff that they did not want any temporaries coming loose ahead of time, and perhaps they were taking that a little too seriously!

I haven't had any trouble with permanent crowns, they are just like natural teeth.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:44 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
No sticky or hard foods while the temporary crown is in place. You can resume a normal diet 24 hrs after the permanent crown is put in. Your dentist will go over all that with you.

Exactly right. I have several crowns and once the cement has dried (about 24 hrs), no restrictions in eating. If they are made correctly, you won't feel them in your mouth. The dentist will articulate the crown so that it fits perfectly with its opposing tooth.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:13 AM

451 posts, read 497,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have a mouthful of crowns, and I've never had a temporary come off. In fact, the last two times I had a temporary placed, they were on so tightly that the hygienist couldn't get them off by prying or pulling. The dentist had to cut them off (which is painless, of course). The dentist then said that they had stressed with their staff that they did not want any temporaries coming loose ahead of time, and perhaps they were taking that a little too seriously!

I haven't had any trouble with permanent crowns, they are just like natural teeth.
Since your temporary crowns were on so tightly, do you know if the cement was also on the outside of your temporaries on your gum tissue? I ask because I have a temporary now from Dentist #1 in this new area that I live, and when I went to Dentist #2 here, he said cement was on the outside of the temporary and it was irritating my gums. He supposedly scrapped at least some of it off, but I wonder if my temporary is less secure now because he did that or if the cement shouldn't have been there in the first place (which I assume).

Old 03-22-2022, 10:57 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Since your temporary crowns were on so tightly, do you know if the cement was also on the outside of your temporaries on your gum tissue? I ask because I have a temporary now from Dentist #1 in this new area that I live, and when I went to Dentist #2 here, he said cement was on the outside of the temporary and it was irritating my gums. He supposedly scrapped at least some of it off, but I wonder if my temporary is less secure now because he did that or if the cement shouldn't have been there in the first place (which I assume).
It wasn't, as far as I know. I didn't have any gum irritation and no one said anything about that, so I'm just assuming the cement was all inside.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:33 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
My dentist is recommending I get a crown to (hopefully) alleviate an issue that's been bugging me for months. For anyone who's had a crown, I'm curious about what happens afterwards with regards to eating.

First, I have to go for a prep appointment, and then it will be two weeks before the crown is put in. If you've had this done, can you tell me if there were any eating restrictions during the two weeks, or again after the final procedure? One website I found suggested avoiding hard or sticky foods, but the phrasing suggested that go on indefinitely. Can that be right?
They prepare the tooth, then put a temporary crown on while the permanent one is getting made. There aren’t really any restrictions about eating with the temp, except if you eat really chewy things, it will probably fall off. If it does, they tell you to apply a bit of toothpaste and stick it back on.

My last temporary crown came off, and I just left it off, because the tooth had been filled and wasn’t harmed by chewing on it. In other words, be a bit careful, but if the temp comes off...no big deal.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:34 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Thank you. I've come across several websites that recommending a permanent change in diet once the permanent crown is in, and that's scaring me. I'd like to think the dentist would have mentioned that upfront. The way he described it to me did not indicate this at all.
Nope. That’s nonsense. No worries.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:06 PM

451 posts, read 497,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It wasn't, as far as I know. I didn't have any gum irritation and no one said anything about that, so I'm just assuming the cement was all inside.
Thank you for your response. I bet that you're assuming correctly. I don't know if Dentist #2 here was telling me the truth about cement being around my temporary, but I found it odd that what he showed me on the tool he used looked pink like the color of my gums.
I always assumed that cement was dark.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:23 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I have had the same 2 crowns in my mouth for over twenty years. One of them did come loose because I stupidly ate a chewy candy. Dentist glued it back no issues. I am careful not to eat anything chewy like taffy or caramels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health