Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 08:00 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

My dentist is recommending I get a crown to (hopefully) alleviate an issue that's been bugging me for months. For anyone who's had a crown, I'm curious about what happens afterwards with regards to eating.

First, I have to go for a prep appointment, and then it will be two weeks before the crown is put in. If you've had this done, can you tell me if there were any eating restrictions during the two weeks, or again after the final procedure? One website I found suggested avoiding hard or sticky foods, but the phrasing suggested that go on indefinitely. Can that be right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 08:14 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
No sticky or hard foods while the temporary crown is in place. You can resume a normal diet 24 hrs after the permanent crown is put in. Your dentist will go over all that with you.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
No sticky or hard foods while the temporary crown is in place. You can resume a normal diet 24 hrs after the permanent crown is put in. Your dentist will go over all that with you.
Thank you. I've come across several websites that recommending a permanent change in diet once the permanent crown is in, and that's scaring me. I'd like to think the dentist would have mentioned that upfront. The way he described it to me did not indicate this at all.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:42 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Thank you. I've come across several websites that recommending a permanent change in diet once the permanent crown is in, and that's scaring me. I'd like to think the dentist would have mentioned that upfront. The way he described it to me did not indicate this at all.

That's nonsense. I wouldn't go crazy on the taffy but other than that you can eat whatever you want with a permanent crown. You do have to be more careful with the temporary crown (taffy WILL pull it off and even gum might) but that's only 2 weeks. And even if it pops out you can stick it back on.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:59 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
My dentist is recommending I get a crown to (hopefully) alleviate an issue that's been bugging me for months. For anyone who's had a crown, I'm curious about what happens afterwards with regards to eating.

First, I have to go for a prep appointment, and then it will be two weeks before the crown is put in. If you've had this done, can you tell me if there were any eating restrictions during the two weeks, or again after the final procedure? One website I found suggested avoiding hard or sticky foods, but the phrasing suggested that go on indefinitely. Can that be right?
My dentist makes the crown while I wait. They use a 3d printing machine. He checks the fit makes any necessary adjustments and permanently cements it in. I've had other dentists send them to a lab and it's not really a big deal just don't eat something real chewy or it might come off. If it does go the the drug store and buy a small vial of temporary crown cement and stick it back on, when you go back and get the permanent crown it will be cemented in place with permanent cement, the only way to get it off then is for the dentist to cut the crown off.

I've never heard about changing your diet after you get a crown, I have a mouthful of them and eat the same stuff I've always eaten

Old 03-19-2022, 01:34 PM

New development since my OP. This afternoon, a piece of the very tooth the dentist was only somewhat concerned about broke off completely. This may change the whole game, since I don't know if they do crowns for broken teeth or if they'll have to do something else.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:19 PM

23,254 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
New development since my OP. This afternoon, a piece of the very tooth the dentist was only somewhat concerned about broke off completely. This may change the whole game, since I don't know if they do crowns for broken teeth or if they'll have to do something else.
The dentist will need to examine what's left of the tooth to see how healthy it is. If there won't be enough sound tooth structure to anchor the crown properly, the plan could certainly change. In a way, this break exposes decay that was just waiting to be discovered (and probably would have been while your dentist was prepping the tooth for your crown).

I have several crowns, some for many years without any complications. Yes, standard practice to take extra care while the temporary crown is in place. I've never needed root canals or further repairs on those teeth. I've never been told to modify my diet per se, but common sense suggests that biting down on a chilled Riesen dark chocolate caramel (a fave ) might not be such a great idea.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:29 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:

They can do crowns for broken teeth. They can use a portion of the tooth that's left to anchor the crown. I've got a mouthful of crowns in the back, all having come about after teeth that broke, mostly when the old metal fillings I got as a kid fell out. If there's not enough tooth left to anchor the crown, they may recommend a root canal with a post be put in first ( at least that's my understanding, I have never had that done with a crown). But I'd never let a dentist do that with a crown if there was any of the original tooth left.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:49 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
I have crowns on many of my back teeth. They are better than natural teeth in some ways. They've presented no problems for me and generally have lasted 10 to 20 years. One popped out. I was able to save it and take to dentist for him to reglue it in. IMO he hadn't properly glued it in.

I have to be careful w/dental floss, not getting it underneath a corner, or I could pop it out myself.

You're not supposed to eat hard things or overly sticky things, particularly past a certain age (teeth weaken with age), so I try to follow those rules generally, which I suppose is helpful for the crowns, too.

The biggest issue w/crowns, IMO, besides the cost, is matching the color. Mine are in the back, so not much of an issue. But if it were in the front, that would be an issue. It's impossible to match the color exactly, and crowns aren't as translucent as real enamel. And real teeth change colors over time, while crowns don't. My family wasn't blessed with thick enamel, so I've had to accept this issue with my teeth in the back.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:24 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Be careful while the temp crown is on. Once the permanent crown is installed, you will be able to treat it as any of your natural teeth. Crowns are pretty durable - I have one on a molar that's 15 years old, and one on a front tooth (golf ball accident) that's going on 30 years old.

I wouldn't go crunching peanut brittle or hard candies, but I wouldn't do that with any of my teeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health