Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 11,141 times

Advertisements

I've had all 4 wisdom and 2nd premolars removed. That's 8 teeth total removed to relieve crowding.

I still have a very prominent upper front teeth that push up against my mouth. As a result I still have an overbite and a pouty looking mouth above the philtrum region.

My orthodontist told me she can do some IPR shaving on upper incisors and put me on Invisalign. But she warned me results will be minimal.

I believe my orthodontist was mistaken in her judgement. She removed my 2nd premolars to create space. Half of the space was used to advance forward my back molars and the other half to retract front teeth. She intentionally left some gaps in between my molars as a compromise in order to close space. Given how large my teeth are, and narrow my face/jaw are, I believe she should have extracted all 4 1st premolars instead and use all the space created to retract all front teeth as far back as possible.

What can I do now?

Should I see someone to get jaw surgery?

Should I see another orthodontist and get carriere distalizer to move upper molars back to create space to retract front teeth?

I even posted pictures on the realself forum website and got no answers. Link:

https://www.realself.com/question/an...m_medium=email

For those reading what do you think based on my pictures on realself.com and situation described?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 03:09 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
If you wait until your teeth have an over-bite, etc. and your wisdom teeth have been in for sometime - I think you just have to live w/what you have.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 11,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
If you wait until your teeth have an over-bite, etc. and your wisdom teeth have been in for sometime - I think you just have to live w/what you have.

Flamingo,

Please clarify your response if possible?

"If you wait until your teeth have an over-bite"--- My complaint is that I still have an overbite despite having 8 teeth removed. I never waited to allow an overbite to happen. I don't understand what you are trying to convey.

"Wisdom teeth have been in for sometime"--- My wisdom teeth were removed many years before I got 4 of my second premolars extracted. I mention my wisdom teeth because I wanted to specify that I already have 8 teeth total removed (4 2nd premolars, 4 wisdom teeth)

Old 06-09-2022, 08:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
don't you need braces to move the teeth that remain? I had the same problem when I was a kid and had braces on my teeth for almost 2 years. I still have an overbite but it's not as bad as it was.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:15 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffxdwu View Post
I've had all 4 wisdom and 2nd premolars removed. That's 8 teeth total removed to relieve crowding.

I still have a very prominent upper front teeth that push up against my mouth. As a result I still have an overbite and a pouty looking mouth above the philtrum region.

My orthodontist told me she can do some IPR shaving on upper incisors and put me on Invisalign. But she warned me results will be minimal.

I believe my orthodontist was mistaken in her judgement. She removed my 2nd premolars to create space. Half of the space was used to advance forward my back molars and the other half to retract front teeth. She intentionally left some gaps in between my molars as a compromise in order to close space. Given how large my teeth are, and narrow my face/jaw are, I believe she should have extracted all 4 1st premolars instead and use all the space created to retract all front teeth as far back as possible.

What can I do now?

Should I see someone to get jaw surgery?

Should I see another orthodontist and get carriere distalizer to move upper molars back to create space to retract front teeth?

I even posted pictures on the realself forum website and got no answers. Link:

https://www.realself.com/question/an...m_medium=email

For those reading what do you think based on my pictures on realself.com and situation described?

I can't really answer about surgery, etc. All I can say is

1) had (I think) 8 teeth removed also, because of crowding and misalignment.

2) I have an overbite pretty similar to yours, and my arches, especially the lower, is quite narrow

Other than perhaps noticing my teeth aren't the greatest they've ever seen, I don't think anyone has ever thought twice about my teeth or my overbite. I'm not thinking twice about yours either, it doesn't look bad to me

Old 06-10-2022, 06:13 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Your overbite is what makes you look like you. As long as those front teeth aren't starting to tilt upward toward your lip, it's fine. No need to "do" anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health