Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times

Advertisements

Definitely go to an endodontist--not your regular dentist! The endodontist will do it in less than 45 mins---with the dentist, it takes several visits! There's a price difference, but, Oh MAN, is it worth it!
It doesn't hurt---they numb you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Definitely go to an endodontist--not your regular dentist! The endodontist will do it in less than 45 mins---with the dentist, it takes several visits! There's a price difference, but, Oh MAN, is it worth it!
It doesn't hurt---they numb you.
Mine was done at an endodontist's office. And my dental insurance covered 90% of it.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I had one last year. I absolutely dreaded it. When he did finished, I said to him, "Is that it?" Heck, I didn't even need the pain medication. The guy was an absolute artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I am probably going to need one soon--my dentist says I have irreversible pulpitis, even though I don't have any major symptoms except occasional pain on chewing on a cracked tooth. I am really scared about having a root canal.

Is it as bad as everyone says? Can you comment specifically about:

-having to keep your mouth open that long
-can you swallow throughout the procedure
-pain
-rubber dam--is this scary
-the use of bleach to irrigate the canals--did you taste this?
-x-rays taken during procedure
-how long did it take (mine will be lower molar)
-are some teeth worse than others in terms of pain, time, etc.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I just had one done. I opted for gas and I didn't feel a thing, I actually felt great. I would highly recommend gas if you are at all nervous. It took a couple of hours for me. The time can vary depending on different things.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,819 times
Thanks for all your replies, they made me feel better.

My main fear isn't the pain--and my tooth isn't infected anyway--it's just that my dentist says if I do not get the root canal, I will have chewing pain indefinitely, so I imagine since I have no infection that the root canal should be pretty pain free.

But my biggest fear is the whole swallowing thing. I remember about 5 years ago when I got my upper wisdom teeth taken out with only local--the scariest part was after the injections my upper palate was numb so my swallowing got all messed up, and I started to panic. I am worried that the injections they will be doing for my lower molar will cause me to not be able to swallow--because when this happens I start to panic.

I guess I'm also worried about not being able to swallow during the procedure in general--because then I start to panic.

Also, I'm really worried about the bleach. I've read horror stories about the bleach getting into the patient's mouth or getting aspirated into the lungs, or going into the jaw bone.

I'm also pretty concerned about my TMJ--I have really bad TMJ.

I am definitely going to an endodontist.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I am like you in that I had heard so many horror stories I was very frightened, but it was a piece of cake. The dentist kept numbing the area.

What was really funny is that during the procedure I looked up and saw a look of joy on my dentists face that was something akin to the way my husband looks when he is putting together a model car which he loves to do. I asked him about it later, because I was unable to talk at that moment. His answer was that he loved doing root canals. My experience is that when you love to do something it's because you are good at it. So the key to a successful root canal is to get the right dentist.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
-pain
Having mouth open for a long time -- seriously, it's not that bad.
Can you swallow throughout the procedure -- yes.
Pain -- they numb you up with shots. Speak up if you need additional shots. There is a lot of pressure as they push down into the tooth, so afterwards you may feel bruised and sore.
Rubber dam -- not scary at all. Only your mouth has the dam and your nose and eyes, etc. are uncovered.
Bleach -- didn't taste any bleach.
X-rays taken during the procedure -- done before hand; nothing bad.
How long it took -- lower right molar for me; took a good 3 or so hours.

The worst parts for me were the shots, especially if you have to have a lower-jaw tooth worked on. That was horrible. And it was a very time-consuming process and I got tired of lying there trying to be patient. I suggest you take your iPod or some other device that will allow you to tune out. Listen to a book on tape or soothing music or talk radio or something. Afterwards you may feel sore...sort of like you've been punched in the jaw. Mine didn't throb too bad, but it was sore. They'll give you a temporary filling first, and then you'll come back a month or so later for your crown.

And the cost is ridiculous! (Not saying there's not a lot of work and technology that goes into the whole process. It's just that it sucks having to shell out hundreds of dollars for the procedure.)

Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
The worst parts for me were the shots, especially if you have to have a lower-jaw tooth worked on. That was horrible.

Can you tell me more about this? I remember getting many (like 6) local injections for my wisdom teeth removal (I just did them under local) and the injections themselves were completely pain-free, as they numbed the area beforehand with a topical gel.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,894 times
Quote:
I am probably going to need one soon--my dentist says I have irreversible pulpitis, even though I don't have any major symptoms except occasional pain on chewing on a cracked tooth. I am really scared about having a root canal.

Is it as bad as everyone says? Can you comment specifically about:

-pain
I just had one about a month ago on a front tooth. No crown needed, tooth was saved.
I never had a problem leaving my mouth open. I was on valioum and nitrious and don't remember much at all. I do remember them trying to put the bite block in, but that was awful(for me anyway). The shots is what i get worked up about, but I don't know why because they never hurt.

I had no problems swallowing

I did taste the bleach a little. My dentist did tell me before they used it. It wasn't all that bad. It lasted for like a minute.

Mine took less then an hour. I had another root canal over 10 years ago. I don't remember much of that one. That was on an upper tooth. This one seemed much better. The other wasn't painful, but my dentist now is much much better then my dentist then. Plus technology is so much better now.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the rubber dam is. I had nothing over my mouth. I had the nitrious over my nose and that was nothing. I don't remember having anything the first time I had one either.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the rubber dam is. I had nothing over my mouth. I had the nitrious over my nose and that was nothing. I don't remember having anything the first time I had one either.
To my understanding, the purpose of the rubber dam is to protect the patient from swallowing both the bleach and the tiny instruments. But if you had a front tooth done maybe they don't use them since the front teeth are more accessible? I thought that the rubber dam was standard protocol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health