Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 12,453 times

Advertisements

New to town, so I am wondering where the best, small venue, live music is?

Like all types of music but prefer a coffee-house, indie sound. Gavin DeGraw, Eric Hutchinson, Jack Johnson, Matt Nathanson, Tyronne Wells, John Mayer, DMB....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM

39 posts, read 92,142 times
Lots of great options in town-

For the folkish bent, try Swallow Hill in South Denver or the DNote in Arvada. For the jam scene, check out Owsley's, Cervantes, or Quixotes. Indie-wise, the Hi Dive and Larimer Lounge are great spots. For jazz, visit Dazzle or El Chapultepec. That's just a quick snapshot, and there are plenty of additional options.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM

93 posts, read 295,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geef View Post
Lots of great options in town-

For the folkish bent, try Swallow Hill in South Denver or the DNote in Arvada. For the jam scene, check out Owsley's, Cervantes, or Quixotes. Indie-wise, the Hi Dive and Larimer Lounge are great spots. For jazz, visit Dazzle or El Chapultepec. That's just a quick snapshot, and there are plenty of additional options.
+1 for everything they said.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 AM

168 posts, read 622,316 times
Default Westwork

Hi - pick up a copy of Westword newspaper. It lists all venues and band schedules throughout the metro area. Have fun!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:40 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheob View Post
New to town, so I am wondering where the best, small venue, live music is?

Like all types of music but prefer a coffee-house, indie sound.
Good luck finding that. Most of the live music in Denver is either professional musicians working upper-scale venues (nice restaurants, elegant clubs) or large, well-known acts who come into town on tour. There's very little in the way of local musicians performing on a regular basis in coffee shops, especially when it comes to indie. Sure you can find the occasional venue but it's not like how it is in other cities.

I'm a musician. I play keyboards, mostly synth based music (80s covers). Of course I listen to practically all styles of music. Most musicians do.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
there are lots of local indie bands in denver, 300 of them are playing next week on south broadway- The UMS

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
there are lots of local indie bands in denver, 300 of them are playing next week on south broadway- The UMS
This is a one-time, four day event. In other words, a tour.

This is cool if you're satisfied to go to something like this once and then forget about it the rest of the year. But most people who ask the question like the OP, are interested in regular weekly/nightly local venues, not special events like this.

What gives a city its special flair is its local scene, not tours from out of town.

That's my two cents as a musician

Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 12,453 times
I love finding local talent and following them from bar to bar

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,310 times
Well for living in Denver most of my life I have been lucky enough to experience a new side of the city almost day to day. For local music in Denver the list is limitless. Throughout the city there are numerous underground venues with local acts and touring musicians that are do it yourself venues. Meaning a bunch of people get together rent a warehouse or any kind of venue and and run it in a very community orientated way. Funding the program through pot-lucks, crafts, homemade beer, and awesome shows.
1) the Blast-0-Mat which is one of the fastest growing. This place is amazing equipped with a record shop, art gallery and awesome intimate venue. The crowds there are full of interesting people traveling musicians. Shows are posted on their myspace page. BLAST-O-MAT (Blast o mat Blast o mat) | MySpace which will give you a insight into all the other venues like the blast-o-mat.
2)The Mercury Cafe on 21st and California. has a plethora of local and traveling musicians play almost daily. From Jazz to Indie Rock to totally extreme and amazing performances from employees and friends. Also has amazing local organic food, a great atmosphere, poetry slams, astrology readings, swing.tango,salsa and belly dancing classes, plays and almost anything you can imagine, it's pure magic
MySpace - The Mercury Cafe - 35 - Female - DENVER, Colorado - myspace.com/themercurycafe
Like i said this list is limitless but if you go the these places you will find more local music then you can handle.
Hope you enjoy it.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 PM

39 posts, read 92,142 times
Great call on Blast-O-Mat. I'm surprised to see it come up on this forum. They bring some great national and international acts through town, and quite a few local musicians spend time there.

With respect to the Underground Music Showcase, someone commented on it being a festival. That's true, but most of the acts at UMS are local. It's a great opportunity to discover a local acts or two that you enjoy, then support them at other venues around town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitycreason8 View Post
Well for living in Denver most of my life I have been lucky enough to experience a new side of the city almost day to day. For local music in Denver the list is limitless. Throughout the city there are numerous underground venues with local acts and touring musicians that are do it yourself venues. Meaning a bunch of people get together rent a warehouse or any kind of venue and and run it in a very community orientated way. Funding the program through pot-lucks, crafts, homemade beer, and awesome shows.
1) the Blast-0-Mat which is one of the fastest growing. This place is amazing equipped with a record shop, art gallery and awesome intimate venue. The crowds there are full of interesting people traveling musicians. Shows are posted on their myspace page. BLAST-O-MAT (Blast o mat Blast o mat) | MySpace which will give you a insight into all the other venues like the blast-o-mat.
2)The Mercury Cafe on 21st and California. has a plethora of local and traveling musicians play almost daily. From Jazz to Indie Rock to totally extreme and amazing performances from employees and friends. Also has amazing local organic food, a great atmosphere, poetry slams, astrology readings, swing.tango,salsa and belly dancing classes, plays and almost anything you can imagine, it's pure magic
MySpace - The Mercury Cafe - 35 - Female - DENVER, Colorado - myspace.com/themercurycafe
Like i said this list is limitless but if you go the these places you will find more local music then you can handle.
Hope you enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver