Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: To Doubletrack, or Not To Doubletrack?
Yes, doubletrack it. This will benefit travelers and taxpayers the most by adding expansion options for these stations. 4 19.05%
Yes, doubletrack it, but developers and DIA should be funding most or all of the cost. 9 42.86%
No, leave it singletrack. It's too expensive and will slow down trips to and from DIA. 3 14.29%
I don't think we should be shelling out this kind of money for trains to begin with! 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times

Advertisements

OK transit users, transit junkies, taxpayers and developers. Time to way in.

DIA, developers want more stations on RTD east rail line - The Denver Post

Doubletrack it or not? And who exactly is or should be paying for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,358 times
Point one: Doubletrack. It is ALWAYS cheaper to build now than in the future.

Point two: No station at Hotel Row? RTD is on crack.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Is is totally INSANE to build single track.

When it comes to stations, if you build it, they will come. Trying to build stations in the years ahead, i.e., retrofitting for the density that will be there in the years ahead will cost several times more than building them now. In fact, if the stations are built now, we can have a much better say in how the land is developed, i.e., build density to match the line's capability.

In the DC area where I lived for 30+ years, the area was very mature when METRO built the Orange Line through the close-in suburbs of northern Virginia. What followed was a decades long process of developers buying up hundreds of ancient bungalows, old gas stations, etc, and tearing them down in order to build high-rises condo's and offices, which are great for maximizing ridership of the line, as well as the value of the line to those who need to commute into DC. Build the stations now, while it's cheap to do so and so we pre-zone the area for the density that will fill the trains.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I'm not a transit or rail expert by any means, but I'm VERY surprised that the winning design included single tracking on the line to the AIRPORT! I can see single-tracking the line from the Federal Center to the Jefferson County Govt building because I doubt many people will use it. But single-tracking the line to the airport? Really?

I know the funding sources are different, but I think the project that involves building that gaudy/ridiculous hotel at DIA should be scrapped and those funds redirected toward double tracking.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Seems insane to stick to single track. Why build a project to be lousy? If you don't have the funds, better to not do it at all.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
This is stupid. There are already too many planed stations on that line. Its an Airport train. Its purpose should be to get people from Denver to DIA as fast as possible. They need to concentrate on building a simple quality high speed system that can get people from Downtown to the airport in 10 - 15 min., like Airport trains in Europe and Asia do.

This is the problem with American rapid transit. If they cater to every developer who wants a stop along the line. It will turn it into just another light rail line making stops every half mile. Picking up and dropping off a handful of passengers at each station. The trip will take an hour and a half from Downtown to the airport, and most people wont ride it because they will be able to catch a airport shuttle bus that will get them there faster for less money.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Since i live on a Single tracked line i'll throw in my 2 cents. This is a bad idea for an Airport line ,the projected ridership warrants double tracking. Single Tracking works along my line because its not that busy , once a corridor reaches 15,000 double tracking is a good idea due to the amount of trains you'll need. I don't see the point of Electrifying it , if your not double tracking. Another thing that grinds my gears about this whole project is your not using fare gates or conductors on your trains thus downgrading them to Light Rail trains...

Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
This is stupid. There are already too many planed stations on that line. Its an Airport train. Its purpose should be to get people from Denver to DIA as fast as possible. They need to concentrate on building a simple quality high speed system that can get people from Downtown to the airport in 10 - 15 min., like Airport trains in Europe and Asia do.

This is the problem with American rapid transit. If they cater to every developer who wants a stop along the line. It will turn it into just another light rail line making stops every half mile. Picking up and dropping off a handful of passengers at each station. The trip will take an hour and a half from Downtown to the airport, and most people wont ride it because they will be able to catch a airport shuttle bus that will get them there faster for less money.
There is something to be said for this thought, but a light rail train isn't the way to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now ideas come out to do a fast train to DIA. However light rail is a commuter service which has to be built around lots of flexibility. Plus that whole DIA area is starving for ways to get development going. I'm sure way back when the DIA project was just on paper none of the people involved would have thought this many years in the area would still resemble farm land with a few slapped up hotels and a lot of barely completed residential projects. If they would have seen it like this I'm sure they would have just build the damn thing a lot closer to I-70 and saved us all the frustration of driving forever to get there.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I could be wrong, but I think the DIA line is supposed to be commuter rail instead of light rail, at least according to the map legend on the fastracks site.

edited to add: East Corridor

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,358 times
Good question on whether this is proceeding as commuter rail or light rail.

The RTD commuter rail maps at least show a station closer to Hotel Row than the Denver Post map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: