Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 50,047 times

Advertisements

would the I-25 & Broadway station be safer than the I-25 & Alameda station? i've never taken a light rail before in my life - thanks so much for you input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
only know denver a little.
but overall streets have gotten a lot meaner. so that is guna affect public transport. same as in france. they got trains, they got buses, but dont wana use em.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,137,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstara View Post
would the I-25 & Broadway station be safer than the I-25 & Alameda station? i've never taken a light rail before in my life - thanks so much for you input!
I've never felt unsafe at any light rail station, or on any light rail train.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
only know denver a little.
but overall streets have gotten a lot meaner. so that is guna affect public transport. same as in france. they got trains, they got buses, but dont wana use em.
Baloney.... If anything public transportation has gotten safer. If you do not use them, how would you know?? Having lived in NYC, during the height of the problems--it is very evident today that the subways and buses are much safer. In addition, I have lived in the Denver area, for over 30 years and I have also used public transportation extensively. Is it much safer????no, just a little and more on some routes, because the system was never consider bad.

The Park n' Rides are they safe??? I have been to many and I have been to all the commuter rail stations---I have never seen a problem. The heavily used stations like Broadway are heavily patrolled, because it is a big transfer point for different lines. I have also notice more police presence at Alameda but only means it is heavily used in a dense area.

I would say that the potential for danger would be the less used stations and Park n' Rides or any station or Park n' Ride where there is very little traffic, at that time. However, I have been at many when there was very few people around and again I have not had a problem. All commuter rail and stations are patrolled by RTD police and local police. In addition, they are all monitored by video surveillance. All buses have video monitoring and undercover police presence. Doing crime on public transit today is not smart because of the extensive video monitoring. Years, ago we did not have that technology in place, as much as today.

So, OP, just get on the rail, do a test ride and you will see how comfortable it is to use.

Livecontent

Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,739 times
I think the only thing you need to worry about is getting your car messed with in the parking lot. As long as there is nothing worth taking left in your car then you have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
I sometimes park at the I-25 and Broadway station during the day and never have any problems. I can't think of any light rail station that I've felt was unsafe, really.. If it makes you feel better, you could always park at the University of Denver station. It has a parking garage.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,186,222 times
Safe for what?
Safe for parking and then riding the light rail into town? Yes
Safe for hunting elk or skateboarding on the tracks? No

Old 03-18-2009, 06:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,484 times
I have used Light Rail for many years and never had any issues with any of them. I do recall that a few times the Airport/40th & Pena has several car break-ins and RTD beefed up the security a bit and installed more cameras. Overall, it is safe but I would not leave anything there to tempt anyone to break in.

Taking a metro in NY (long time ago) was a totally different story.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,739 times
NY subways are way more safe now. The only real problems are at night with drunks harassing you late but thats about it

Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
I've personally been through all of the Light Rail Stations and they seem safe to me. I guess if you don't leave anything of value in your car, lock it and just keep an eye on what's around you (you should do that anywhere) it'll be a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver